ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Best way to get Spouse Visa, GNIB Card & Stamp-4?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Drogs
Newly Registered

Best way to get Spouse Visa, GNIB Card & Stamp-4?

Post by Drogs » Fri May 16, 2008 3:30 pm

I'm an Irish national and it will be a year before I marry my Non-EU Fiancee, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to sort out the Stamp-4 problem. She will be on the Canadian "SWAP" visa for one year in Ireland, but not sure if this will affect things. We have been together 2 years and have lived together for 1 yeah in the UK, but we plan to move to Ireland next month. The SWAP visa gives us time to plan our next step.

Looking at other people's experiences, should we do either of the following?

1/
Marry in Canada after her visa expires, then she could apply for Spouse Visa in Canada and then get GNIB amd Stamp-4 in Ireland

2/
Marry in Ireland before her visa expirse but she flies back to Canada to get a spouse visa.

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks

Frances1978
Newly Registered

Post by Frances1978 » Fri May 16, 2008 5:40 pm

Canadians are not visa required, hence there will be no need to apply for a D-spouse visa. These are for people from countries that require a visa to visit Ireland.

I'm not entirely sure what's best but other people have run into problems when trying to change their status within the country (i.e. from visitors to spouses). I'm not sure what happens in the case of a SWAP visa holder. Often I hear they want them to leave only if to reenter pretty soon after. But that would require some investigation

I'm a New Zealand citizen and entered the country using the visa waiver available. My husband (Irish) and I told the immigration officer we were here to settle and showed our marriage certificate.

I was given a stamp at the airport giving me permission to remain and to report to the local garda station (often the case outside Dublin) within the month.

I'd rang ahead (several times as it was hard to get a hold of the person) and was told to arrive with my husband, both passports, marriage certificate and proof of address (which wasn't looked at).

We were asked if we'd met over the internet (we hadn't). Then I was issued with a stamp 4 (able to work without a work permit). I was only given 1 year to begin with, but can get the rest as he said he didn't know who we were (and how would he). We will just go back to renew next year. Nothing remotely painful by NZ standards at all to get a spousal visa for us.

All the best.

Drogs
Newly Registered

Post by Drogs » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what type of questions are you asked by the Gardai and by the immigration officer? I'm just wondering does it matter how long you were married for them to feel confident the marriage was not a hoax. We plan to get married in Canada and then i hope that on return to Ireland after the wedding we would go through the same process as you did to obtain the Stamp-4 without much problem.

ferrellk
Newly Registered

Post by ferrellk » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:29 pm

Frances1978 wrote:Canadians are not visa required, hence there will be no need to apply for a D-spouse visa. These are for people from countries that require a visa to visit Ireland.

I'm not entirely sure what's best but other people have run into problems when trying to change their status within the country (i.e. from visitors to spouses). I'm not sure what happens in the case of a SWAP visa holder. Often I hear they want them to leave only if to reenter pretty soon after. But that would require some investigation

I'm a New Zealand citizen and entered the country using the visa waiver available. My husband (Irish) and I told the immigration officer we were here to settle and showed our marriage certificate.

I was given a stamp at the airport giving me permission to remain and to report to the local garda station (often the case outside Dublin) within the month.

I'd rang ahead (several times as it was hard to get a hold of the person) and was told to arrive with my husband, both passports, marriage certificate and proof of address (which wasn't looked at).

We were asked if we'd met over the internet (we hadn't). Then I was issued with a stamp 4 (able to work without a work permit). I was only given 1 year to begin with, but can get the rest as he said he didn't know who we were (and how would he). We will just go back to renew next year. Nothing remotely painful by NZ standards at all to get a spousal visa for us.

All the best.
Why did they ask you about the internet? Seems odd in this day and age of match.com and other online dating services. Over half the couples I know have met online.

sort33
Newly Registered

Post by sort33 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:09 pm

I dont know how my issue will b helpful to you. But I think it might give u some info u are looking for regarding does the place of marriage effects anything sort of things.

I am NON-EU and my spouse is NON-EU. We got married in Ireland. I was on student (stamp 2) and my spouse on stamp 4.

When I approached the GNIB for change of my stutus from stamp2 to stamp 3 they told me write to the DOJ or to leave the state and apply.

PLEASE GO THROUGH MY POST TITLED "HUMBLE REQUEST URGENT HELP PLEASE" Please read till the end there are lots of good suggestions given by our friends out there.

Everything is in detail in that post and I really got very helpful and good suggestions from lots of people which helped me a lot and bcause of which I can share a very very gud news with u today.

My visa status has been changed from stamp 2 to stamp 3.

I wish you all the best and good luck.

Frances1978
Newly Registered

Post by Frances1978 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:12 pm

ferrellk wrote:
Frances1978 wrote:Canadians are not visa required, hence there will be no need to apply for a D-spouse visa. These are for people from countries that require a visa to visit Ireland.

All the best.
Why did they ask you about the internet? Seems odd in this day and age of match.com and other online dating services. Over half the couples I know have met online.
I think he was more asking whether we'd only communicated over the internet and that was the basis of our relationship i.e. we'd barely seen each other in person. I'd actually met my now husband at work so that wasn't a problem.