ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

timb1226
Newly Registered

Extension visa

Post by timb1226 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:43 am

Hello, we are currently in the process of preparing for my wife's extension application this coming December. Early because she requires a lot to do beforehand. We would just like some advice and some answers for some questions please.

My wife's visa expires on December 28, 2019 and she is renewing her original passport sometime this month or the next to change her name.

Is it necessary that we apply for an updated BRP that would reflect her new passport or could we just apply for the extension (if it falls within 3 months of change hence not incurring £1000 fine), and it could all be done at the same time given that we provide evidence?

tl;dr new name on passport. Do we need new brp or just update all at once during extension application?

Also, just would like to confirm. My wife is on a 5 year route and she is a married to myself who is a naturalised British citizen. From what I have read she can apply for citizenship after 3 years of residence, which would effectively remove the need to apply for ILR. Is this correct??

We would be truly grateful with any assistance. Many thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Extension visa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:51 am

My wife's visa expires on December 28, 2019 and she is renewing her original passport sometime this month or the next to change her name.

Is it necessary that we apply for an updated BRP that would reflect her new passport or could we just apply for the extension (if it falls within 3 months of change hence not incurring £1000 fine), and it could all be done at the same time given that we provide evidence?
How long will the passport renewal take? Ideally you should update the BRP within 3 months, so timing here is key.
tl;dr new name on passport. Do we need new brp or just update all at once during extension application?
Depends on the timing of getting a renewed passport.
Also, just would like to confirm. My wife is on a 5 year route and she is a married to myself who is a naturalised British citizen. From what I have read she can apply for citizenship after 3 years of residence, which would effectively remove the need to apply for ILR. Is this correct??
No it is not correct. To apply for citizenship, she needs ILR first and needs 5 years residence before she can apply for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Extension visa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:53 am

Note also she needs 5 years residence on FLR(M) spouse visa for ILR. The time spent on the fiance visa doesn't count towards the 5 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.