ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP (Tier 1) Extension – How sooner can one apply?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

from_india

HSMP (Tier 1) Extension – How sooner can one apply?

Post by from_india » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:03 pm

Hello All,

I am on HSMP and going to apply for the extension.

1. How sooner can I apply from the expiry date of existing HSMP visa? I learnt that I can not apply sooner than 2 months; is that right?

2. I suppose the extension will start a day after the current visa expires and not from the date of approval. Please confirm.

3. Three months before the expiry (of the current visa), I intend to visit India for a month. On return to UK, I will have only 2 months visa validity. Will I face any difficulties at the port of entry (I heard that if you don’t have enough visa validity, the immigration officer may question that and may even deny the entry)?

The responses will be highly appreciated.

Jackie123

Post by Jackie123 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:48 pm

Regarding your first point, I earlier called HO and I was told as soon as possible and when i mailed them to confirm the same, guess what?

I got a different answer this time. I am told to file extension application only when 1 month is left in the expiry.

2.) It should happen but this is my personal view.

Hope this might help you.

Cheers!

nevadawipes

Post by nevadawipes » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:10 pm

as per my understanding, you shouldnt apply 28days before your visa is coming to an end and to be very honest that makes sense aswell. why would you like to apply before that anyways?? it wouldnt get you ILR any earlier!

grant

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:21 pm

One reason could be that a person is (probably) in a precarious situation wherein he is able to meet the 75 point requirement today, but may not be able to do so closer to the time of extension. E.g.- contract ending, can meet earning points today but not sure of coming months.

The above is just a general statement, so readers, please don't be offended.

Some people will suggest that you can apply anytime. And some like me and nevadawipes might disagree with the view. Best is to check with UKBA directly. Should anyone wish to read it, my personal opinion on when should one apply is here. :wink:

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

nevadawipes

Post by nevadawipes » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:30 pm

HI Sushd!

I completely understand your point as to why would someone like to apply early for an hsmp extension. As per my opnion thaugh HO will not entertain an early hsmp extension application and would simply return it back saying you should apply only 1 month before your application is coming to an end.

Regards

Grant
sushdmehta wrote:One reason (in general, not pointing to anyone in particular) could be that a person is (probably) in a precarious situation wherein he is able to meet the 75 point requirement today, but may not be able to do so closer to the time of extension. E.g.- contract ending, can meet earning points today but not sure of coming months.

Anyhow, my personal opinion here

regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:44 pm

Grant,

If you check out the link I refered to above, you'll note that I share the same opinion as you that extension applications should be made closer to current leave expiry.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

from_india

Post by from_india » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:14 pm

Well, another reason for applying a few months earlier is: what if something goes wrong with the application? What if you didn’t get the extension?

If one applied just a month before and if his application gets rejected (touchwood!), it leaves him with very less time to react (e.g. to buy tickets back home apart from all the frustration). Isn’t it; or am I missing something?

Thanks as ever!

nevadawipes

Post by nevadawipes » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:22 pm

from_india wrote:Well, another reason for applying a few months earlier is: what if something goes wrong with the application?
You can certainly apply few weeks earlier than wht HO says, for example if HO says you should only apply 1 month before the application is coming to an end, then practically you shouldnt really apply any earlier than 5-6weeks and ceratinly not few months. Anyways i dont know if you are aware of this or not but you do get 28 days after the decision has been made to do whtever you wana do!

In any case, as i mentioned in my earlier posts thats my personal view on this.

Hope this helps

Regards!!

Jackie123

Post by Jackie123 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Code: Select all

"I completely understand your point as to why would someone like to apply early for an hsmp extension. As per my opnion thaugh HO will not entertain an early hsmp extension application and would simply return it back saying you should apply only 1 month before your application is coming to an end."

I do not agreee with your comment that HO will return the application if received say 5 weeks in advance. I know many people personally who have applied much ina dvance and got extension as well. But HO has not returned their applications.

nevadawipes

Post by nevadawipes » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:29 pm

Jackie123 wrote:

Code: Select all

"I completely understand your point as to why would someone like to apply early for an hsmp extension. As per my opnion thaugh HO will not entertain an early hsmp extension application and would simply return it back saying you should apply only 1 month before your application is coming to an end."

I do not agreee with your comment that HO will return the application if received say 5 weeks in advance. I know many people personally who have applied much ina dvance and got extension as well. But HO has not returned their applications.
I would suggest you to read next time the post properly and then comment. read the whole thread once again and see if you understand. I clearly said that if you apply few months in advance i.e 4-5 months as OP mentioned then HO will return it not when you would apply 5-6weeks in advance.

from_india wrote:

Well, another reason for applying a few months earlier is: what if something goes wrong with the application?

Nevadawipes wrote:
You can certainly apply few weeks earlier than wht HO says, for example if HO says you should only apply 1 month before the application is coming to an end, then practically you shouldnt really apply any earlier than 5-6weeks and ceratinly not few months. Anyways i dont know if you are aware of this or not but you do get 28 days after the decision has been made to do whtever you wana do!

In any case, as i mentioned in my earlier posts thats my personal view on this.

Hope this helps

Regards!!

Jackie123

Post by Jackie123 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:49 pm

nevadawipes wrote:
Code: I would suggest you to read next time the post properly and then comment. read the whole thread once again and see if you understand. I clearly said that if you apply few months in advance i.e 4-5 months as OP mentioned then HO will return it not when you would apply 5-6weeks in advance.
I just commented on what you have mentioned in your comment as above. You may have changed your statment in the next post. It can be confusing for some readers. It wasn't meant to be offensive in any ways. I just mentioned my opinion that I know few appicants who have applied much before the expiry of HSMP and they got their extension. That's it.

nevadawipes

Post by nevadawipes » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:06 pm

Jackie123 wrote:
nevadawipes wrote:
Code: I would suggest you to read next time the post properly and then comment. read the whole thread once again and see if you understand. I clearly said that if you apply few months in advance i.e 4-5 months as OP mentioned then HO will return it not when you would apply 5-6weeks in advance.
I just commented on what you have mentioned in your comment as above. You may have changed your statment in the next post. It can be confusing for some readers. It wasn't meant to be offensive in any ways. I just mentioned my opinion that I know few appicants who have applied much before the expiry of HSMP and they got their extension. That's it.
what i have mentioned in my comments above doesnt say that HO will send the papers back if you apply 5-6 weeks in advance but they will if you apply few months in advance.
You may have changed your statment in the next post.
no i didnt changed or edited my comments in respect to the timelines at any point of time.
It can be confusing for some readers
no it would not confuse any one because they can understand and read properly. if someone read through the posts properly they will clrealy understand that i said if you would apply few weeks before like 2-3 weeks before then what HO says then there should not be a problem but if you would apply few months in advance i.e 4-5 months then they will return your application.

Hope this summarizes everything.

Regards

Grant!

ns7
BANNED

Post by ns7 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:10 pm