ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renounced citizenship & child benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sp84

Renounced citizenship & child benefit

Post by sp84 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Hi all,

I am from (and currently living in) Northern Ireland. In 2016 I renounced by British citizenship - allowing me to bring my non-EU wife to NI using the EU family permit route. I used my Irish passport to do so.

My wife received her UK residence card in early 2017 and it expires in 2022.

I plan to apply for her Irish Citizenship at some point next year - and due to the CTA, hopefully ending our relationship with the Home Office !

My contract at work has finished for the summer (but will be renewed in September). I was advised to apply for job seekers benefit to ensure that my national insurance contributions are paid during the summer. While doing so - the lady dealing with my application, also stated that I should be receiving child benefit. Our daughter is 2 and a half years old.

I have never applied for, nor received any benefits before - hence this post.

I had never thought about applying before (didn't think we were entitled).

What I would like to know though is:

1) Am I eligible considering that I renounced my British Citizenship?

2) Do I have to apply in my name (seeing as she is here on a residence card) ? Or can she apply?

3) if I do receive child benefit - will that have a negative impact on her immigration status once 2022 comes along?

4) The form asks "are you subject to any immigration controls" ... As I have renounced my citizenship - I technically don't know if I am subject to them or not? Or is it just my wife?

Thanks ! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Renounced citizenship & child benefit

Post by seagul » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:35 pm

The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.