ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU (BRITISH) & NON-EU (RUSSIAN) WANT TO MARRY...NEED ADV

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Tuulia
Newly Registered

EU (BRITISH) & NON-EU (RUSSIAN) WANT TO MARRY...NEED ADV

Post by Tuulia » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:44 pm

I am a British national living and working in Ireland (for over 4 years). My Russian boyfriend's student Visa recently expired, so he is now back in Russia. We want to get married, and live together in Ireland, where he wants to work, and improve his English.

The issue of EU & NON-EU marriage seems very complicated. Any advice anyone can give, would be greatly appreciated!

Which country would be the easiest for us to marry in, re: documents required? It seems difficult to marry in Ireland....but I have not researched this fully. Once we are married, is it possible for my new husband to enter Ireland on a spousal Visa? How long can he stay for? Will he be able to get a work permit?

From what I have read, he would need to live in another EU country for a year before being allowed to enter Ireland? He is also not guaranteed residency once he enters Ireland, and would have to keep applying for a Visa?

Would he have free EU-movement in terms of taking a holiday with me?

I read there was a court case on June 3rd which was deciding whether the non-EU spouses of four couples, would be deported....etc. Does anyone know the outcome of this case?

Many thanks in advance...

knapps
Member of Standing

hi

Post by knapps » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:20 am

at the moment we do not have any outcome of that case if im right in my social studies...the thing is in ireland you have to write to DOJ to ask for permission to get married to a non EU sound stupid but this is what we have here....things are after changing alot but they are changing in an insane way.....so it is worth asking for permission if you're a british citizen i suppose you won't have any problem

cantaro

Re: EU (BRITISH) & NON-EU (RUSSIAN) WANT TO MARRY...NEED

Post by cantaro » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:04 am

Tuulia wrote:I am a British national living and working in Ireland (for over 4 years). My Russian boyfriend's student Visa recently expired, so he is now back in Russia. We want to get married, and live together in Ireland, where he wants to work, and improve his English.

The issue of EU & NON-EU marriage seems very complicated. Any advice anyone can give, would be greatly appreciated!

Which country would be the easiest for us to marry in, re: documents required? It seems difficult to marry in Ireland....but I have not researched this fully. Once we are married, is it possible for my new husband to enter Ireland on a spousal Visa? How long can he stay for? Will he be able to get a work permit?
If your boyfriend can travel to Denmark, you should seriously consider getting married there. Apparently it is as easy as staying in the country for 5 days, then get married. A colleague of mine did that with his Chinese girlfriend, and it worked out well. I am unsure as to what documents apart from the obvious (valid passports and birth certificates in a language understood in Denmark, i.e. Danish, English, maybe German) are needed. After you got married, your then spouse can apply for a visa to Ireland if he needs one.

After arriving, he should then submit an EU1 form to apply for a residence card. In yet another twist against the spirit of the Directive 2004/38/EC, the DOJ apparently has now started to return applications submitted within 3 months of entering Ireland; therefore he might need to wait 3 months before submitting the form, and then wait approximately another 6 months for the residence card to be issued. While he is technically allowed to work from the day of entering the country as your spouse (provided you have work or are self-employed), try convincing an employer… in fact, he will have to wait until he holds the residence card before he can start working.

As far as the residence requirement is concerned, as far as I know, there are no written rules as to how long a spouse needs to have resided in another EU country. Therefore, even if you stayed in Denmark for one day after being married, this should fulfill the requirement. Your spouse should include a letter with the application containing a statement to that effect.