ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamping Residence Card at Airport?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dinadowns
Newly Registered

Stamping Residence Card at Airport?

Post by dinadowns » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:52 pm

A few weeks ago, my wife showed her EEA2 Residence Card as well as her American passport (the RC was issued as a separate document as opposed to being stuck in her passport). I was surprised when the Immigration Officer endorsed the RC with a stamp upon her entry to the UK, as there is no indication on the paper that it is supposed to be stamped. Was this correct? I was under the impression that holders of a Residence Card do not get a date stamp upon entry into the UK.

Also, I was surprised that they required a completed landing card from her. Isn't the whole point of a Residence Card to allow the bearer the same rights as an EEA citizen? Why should she have to fill a landing card out when I, as an EEA national, do not?

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:19 pm

A few weeks ago, my wife showed her EEA2 Residence Card as well as her American passport (the RC was issued as a separate document as opposed to being stuck in her passport). I was surprised when the Immigration Officer endorsed the RC with a stamp upon her entry to the UK, as there is no indication on the paper that it is supposed to be stamped. Was this correct? I was under the impression that holders of a Residence Card do not get a date stamp upon entry into the UK.
I'm not sure about the residence card, but with entry clearance visas (Family permit, spouse visa, etc) they do stamp the vignette when you enter teh UK with it for the first time.

Also, I was surprised that they required a completed landing card from her. Isn't the whole point of a Residence Card to allow the bearer the same rights as an EEA citizen? Why should she have to fill a landing card out when I, as an EEA national, do not?
As far as I know, all non-EEA citizens fill out a landing card. At least that's what I was told when I asked. But it's not something that interferes with her rights to live/work in the UK.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:27 pm

I was under the impression that the RC and or passport should not be stamped, it clearly states so in the EU Directive. Seems in practice it is a differnt case.

Is the stamp just stating your wifes date of entry into the UK?

Did your wife have any problems leaving and or entering the UK because her RC was issued as a separate Immigration Status Document?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:12 am

Pasha wrote:I was under the impression that the RC and or passport should not be stamped, it clearly states so in the EU Directive. Seems in practice it is a differnt case.
Or maybe just a clueless immigration officer?

Pasha wrote: Is the stamp just stating your wifes date of entry into the UK?

Did your wife have any problems leaving and or entering the UK because her RC was issued as a separate Immigration Status Document?
Adding to your questions, was the stamp put right on the sticker?

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:12 pm

A Residence Card should definitely not be stamped on entry in the country that issued the RC ( article 5.3 of directive 2004/38 )

However, immigration officers at UK airports are seldom aware of this rule, even though it is in force for more than two years already! My wife had her RC stamped on many occasions and I have formally complained about it. I received a letter confirming that I was right, and an advice to carry this letter with us while travelling.

In case it happens to anybody reading this: do ask to see the Chief Immigration Officer and make a formal complaint. It may also be helpful to have a printed copy of this EU directive with you (at least articles 4 and 5)

thsths
United Kingdom

Post by thsths » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:48 pm

fysicus wrote:In case it happens to anybody reading this: do ask to see the Chief Immigration Officer and make a formal complaint. It may also be helpful to have a printed copy of this EU directive with you (at least articles 4 and 5)
I agree that you should not accept everything, but is this really a worthwhile cause to fight? There are much more serious issues in the UK concerning European rights. Not getting the passport stamped is really more an inconvenience than an infringement.

The late issuing of residence cards on the other hand is seriously restricting people, and something should be done about it. A few of us are working on a complaint to the EU parliament, but that should not stop anybody from pursuing other channels.

Tom

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:14 pm

fysicus wrote:A Residence Card should definitely not be stamped on entry in the country that issued the RC ( article 5.3 of directive 2004/38 )

However, immigration officers at UK airports are seldom aware of this rule, even though it is in force for more than two years already! My wife had her RC stamped on many occasions and I have formally complained about it. I received a letter confirming that I was right, and an advice to carry this letter with us while travelling.

In case it happens to anybody reading this: do ask to see the Chief Immigration Officer and make a formal complaint. It may also be helpful to have a printed copy of this EU directive with you (at least articles 4 and 5)
And it says so in SI 2006/1003 11(3).