ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child benefit

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Gmmi

Child benefit

Post by Gmmi » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:26 am

Hi,

As a ILR holder can I now claim Child benefit. What other benefits I can claim here. I am here with my family (wife + children).

Would claiming benefits make any impact on re-entry in UK or application of naturlization?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:59 pm

You can indeed claim Child Benefit, or if your wife also has ILR then she could be the claimant.

Also the two of you jointly can now claim Tax Credits.

Links to both Child Benefit and Tax Credits on the Inland Revenue website :-

www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk
any impact on re-entry in UK or application of naturalisation?
None whatsoever.
John

Gmmi

Post by Gmmi » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:23 pm

John,

My wife doesn't have N.I number. I think only I can apply for it?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:32 pm

Gmmi, for Child Benefit there is a single claimant. That can be either parent.

However for Tax Credits, for a couple living together, the claim must be made jointly by the couple. Your wife does not have a NINO. Good news and bad news! The good news is that the the lack of NINO will provoke the procedure to get your wife a NINO! The bad news .... it will take a few weeks for the NINO to be issued and accordingly the Tax Credits payments will be delayed a bit. However, you will not end up losing out. The first payment of Tax Credits, when made, will include the credit that has been accruing.
John