ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for children wit PR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

PAPITO
Mood:
United Kingdom

Citizenship for children wit PR

Post by PAPITO » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:31 am

Hi
Needing help please on application for citizenship as it’s too expensive I’m looking to apply for my daughter only (14 years old) non EU but has PR now as I am EU citizen. We all have 6 years living in UK
Just wondering if I can apply for her only and she can be granted UK citizenship on her own or should I apply for my wife at the same time?
Many thanks for your help

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Citizenship for children wit PR

Post by zimba » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:39 am

Non UK born children have no automatic entitlement to British citizenship in most cases. They can only be registered with discretion under section 3(1) as British when both parents are British OR one parent is British and the other parent is becoming British at the same. Such children will be considered British by descent and for example cannot pass their citizenship to their grandchildren
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:10 am

Zimba wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:39 am
Non UK born children have no automatic entitlement to British citizenship in most cases. They can only be registered with discretion under section 3(1) as British when both parents are British OR one parent is British and the other parent is becoming British at the same. Such children will be considered British by descent and for example cannot pass their citizenship to their grandchildren
Section 3(1) is British citizenship otherwise than by descent and not British by descent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:05 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:10 am
Zimba wrote:
Such children will be considered British by descent and for example cannot pass their citizenship to their grandchildren
Section 3(1) is British citizenship otherwise than by descent and not British by descent.
It's more nuanced than that. Registration under Section 3(1) gives British citizenship by descent if the parent was a British citizen at the time of the child's birth and British citizenship otherwise than by descent if the parent is not a British citizen at the time of the child's birth.

I think that was to ensure that the child would only get British citizenship by descent if they were registered under Section 3(1) rather than 3(2) or 3(5).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:20 am

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:05 am
CR001 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:10 am
Zimba wrote:
Such children will be considered British by descent and for example cannot pass their citizenship to their grandchildren
It's more nuanced than that. Registration under Section 3(1) gives British citizenship by descent if the parent was a British citizen at the time of the child's birth and British citizenship otherwise than by descent if the parent is not a British citizen at the time of the child's birth.

I think that was to ensure that the child would only get British citizenship by descent if they were registered under Section 3(1) rather than 3(2) or 3(5).
I was merely answering and correcting advice given based on the ops stated circumstances. I am aware of the above but don't feel the need to complicate a response and confuse the op.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

PAPITO
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by PAPITO » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:00 am

Zimba wrote:
Thanks for the reply
I am EU cotizen and don’t want to become British
Would my eife (non EU) and daughter can apply together? Or should my daughter apply on her own when 18??

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:29 am

Would my eife (non EU) and daughter can apply together?

Yes they can apply together once they have held PR for 12 months.
Or should my daughter apply on her own when 18??
Your choice. Once she is 18 she will need the liuk test and English B1 test.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

PAPITO
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by PAPITO » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:04 am

Zimba wrote:
If I understand correctly my daughter who has PR plus 12 months cannot apply to citizenship on her own unless applying with one parent at the same time while other parent is not British nor applying to be British?? Or until reaches 18?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:12 am

PAPITO wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:04 am
If I understand correctly my daughter who has PR plus 12 months cannot apply to citizenship on her own unless applying with one parent at the same time while other parent is not British nor applying to be British?? Or until reaches 18?
Correct yes. The other parent not applying must also hold PR or settled status.
Char (CR001 not Casa)