ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is my wife eligible for naturalisation directly after 5 years of ILR Dependent visa?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

BKK006
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Is my wife eligible for naturalisation directly after 5 years of ILR Dependent visa?

Post by BKK006 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:24 pm

Hello,

My wife came to UK in Feb 2015 on ILR dependent visa (Spouse visa). I got my British citizenship in early 2016. I applied for spouse visa extension for my wife in Aug 2017 which now expires in Feb 2020.

Will my wife be eligible for naturalisation immediately after Feb 2020 or would she need to get ILR and then apply for citizenship 1 year later in 2021 ?

I also read a rule that spouse of British citizens can apply for naturalisation after 3 years. Based on that can my wife apply for naturalisation now (3 years since I've been a British Citizen) ?

Really appreciate all your help! Thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Is my wife eligible for naturalisation directly after 5 years of ILR Dependent visa?

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:29 pm

Will my wife be eligible for naturalisation immediately after Feb 2020 or would she need to get ILR and then apply for citizenship 1 year later in 2021 ?

She needs ILR first.
I also read a rule that spouse of British citizens can apply for naturalisation after 3 years.
She needs ILR first and to apply for ILR, she needs 5 years residence.

Once she has ILR, she can apply for citizenship based on 3 years residence if she meets the requirements.
Based on that can my wife apply for naturalisation now (3 years since I've been a British Citizen) ?
It makes no difference how long you have been British. The simple requirement is for HER to be married to a British citizen at the time of apply for naturalisation once she has ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BKK006
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Is my wife eligible for naturalisation directly after 5 years of ILR Dependent visa?

Post by BKK006 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:32 pm

Thank you for the quick reply CR001! So its ILR after Feb 2020.

Do we need to submit passport for ILR application? We are planning for an abroad trip in April / May 2020 and wasn't sure if she will have her passport with her at that time..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:34 pm

Thank you for the quick reply CR001! So its ILR after Feb 2020.

Yes, no sooner than within 28 days before the 5th anniversary of the date she entered the UK on her spouse visa.
Do we need to submit passport for ILR application?
No. The new process through UKCVAS Sopra Steria means everything is scanned and uploaded.
We are planning for an abroad trip in April / May 2020 and wasn't sure if she will have her passport with her at that time..
She cannot travel out of the UK if she has an application pending. If you choose the standard option, it can take between 8 weeks and up to 6 months. If you pay the extra £800 and use the Super Priority service, you should get a decision within 24-48 hours, however this is not guaranteed. BRP delivery is 7-10 days after approval.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.