ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residency Card- extended family member working rights

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Yanique97
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Residency Card- extended family member working rights

Post by Yanique97 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:46 am

Hello, my application for a residency card has been accepted by the Home Office and I will be receiving my card 10 working days.

My questions are;
1)What rights will I be given as a extended family member of an EEA national?

2)Can I travel without a passport with my residency card?

Any help/ thoughts is welcomed. Thanks in advance

kamoe
European Union

Re: Residency Card- extended family member working rights

Post by kamoe » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:03 pm

Yanique97 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:46 am
The right to live and work in the UK. This is also proof you can show to potential landlords that you are residing legally in the UK, and that you have the right to rent.
2)Can I travel without a passport with my residency card?
No.

I repeat: No.

Your identity outside of your country of origin is attested by your passport, and by your passport only. This is a basic principle of international travel.

Now... there are exceptions for this rule in regions who have agreements (like the EU) to allow their own citizens to travel with national identity cards within the region (but your are NOT a EU citizen, and you do NOT have a EU national identity card. The Residence Card is NOT a national identity card).

So, you need to carry both your passport and your Residence Card when you travel, to allow you to enter another country, and to enter the UK back again.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Yanique97
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Yanique97 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:13 pm

Hello, thank you for your reply.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:00 pm

Even if you work be especially careful to maintain the conditions of your EEA EFM card, namely:

- You are dependent on your sponsor and/or
- Part of the same household

If at one point you don't satisfy these at least one of these requirements, you would have forfeited your right of residence under this route. It means if you apply for permanent residence or apply to renew/extend your EEA EFM card, you will be declined. This card really comes with "strings attached" so you have to maintain strict adherence to the terms.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:00 pm
Even if you work be especially careful to maintain the conditions of your EEA EFM card, namely:

Note that for unmarried partners you don't need to be financially dependent on your EU partner, just to continue living together and acting akin to a married couple.
If at one point you don't satisfy these at least one of these requirements, you would have forfeited your right of residence under this route. It means if you apply for permanent residence or apply to renew/extend your EEA EFM card, you will be declined. This card really comes with "strings attached" so you have to maintain strict adherence to the terms.
In addition, your EU family member needs to continue exercising treaty rights in the UK. Your rights also depend on their status, so if they leave the UK or if they cease to be a qualified person (cease to work, or be financially independent, or finish studies, etc. whatever they are a qualified person for), then your rights come to an end.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:17 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:09 pm
Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:00 pm

Note that for unmarried partners you don't need to be financially dependent on your EU partner, just to continue living together and acting akin to a married couple.
In addition, your EU family member needs to continue exercising treaty rights in the UK. Your rights also depend on their status, so if they leave the UK or if they cease to be a qualified person (cease to work, or be financially independent, or finish studies, etc. whatever they are a qualified person for), then your rights come to an end.
Yes, that's right. Rules a slightly better for unmarried partners with EFM cards.

For extended family members with EFM (proper extended family members like cousins and similar) it easy to get carried away, find a job, rent a place and eventually get in breach of the immigration status. Usually nothing happens until the person tries to renew, settle, apply for PR or anything and then...