ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Sulla » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:40 am

Master Caution wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:13 am

My own personal view is that the stopwatch started on the 28th of November when I received the confirmation e-mail which leaves me at eight months in. Based upon what I have read on here, I optimistically expect a communication from the DFA in October to November.

However, if that doesn't happen, it is what it is.

Happy Days! :D

MC
Ok then. I will include your details as a November 2018 applicant. Thanks for the update.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:41 pm

Congrats Powerbook1! Glad it went fast for someone. Although it'll just add fuel to the fire about how random the whole process seems to be.

jim C.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:49 pm

CATG - looks like we'll be on approximately same long timeline. Sent my application from NYC direct to Dublin.Guessing we'll hear from them again next year!

Paid application fee and submitted application online: June 24th 2019

Sent forms via Fedex to FBR Office in Dublin: June 25th 2019

Acknowledgement of application: June 27th 2019

My brother did the FBR entry 20 years ago.Think it took him a month....haha I did include a copy of his FBR record hoping it'd at least show I'm deserving.

jgclancy

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:36 am

Sulla wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:18 am
At that time, I also had 2 other ongoing litigation cases. Fortunately, these have now been positively resolved.
Sued the laundry to get them to stop putting starch in your boxer shorts?

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:37 am

PasadenaTom wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:36 am
Sulla wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:18 am
At that time, I also had 2 other ongoing litigation cases. Fortunately, these have now been positively resolved.
Sued the laundry to get them to stop putting starch in your boxer shorts?
Oddly enough, no. I stopped wearing those quite some time ago. I hope nobody still does.

https://www.gq.com/story/stop-wearing-boxer-shorts

If you are really curious about the litigation then:

One case involved a crypto currency startup that had suggested that they were backed by the fund I run in their ICO promotional material. In reality, we had no association with them whatsoever. The other was a land dispute near Siena. I bought a property there a few years ago and it included a number of olive trees on the grounds. The original owner attempted to reclaim a 180m2 section of the garden last year, saying it was not included in the sale. He then occupied it and fenced it off. Unfortunately for him, he was very wrong. I had audio recordings of every conversation we had ever had with him during the sales process, as well as all the proper documents. Both cases went to court initially, but were later settled. And YES I kept my olive grove.

Both of these were significantly more important to me than the prospect of getting my 70 Euros from the DFA.

maddeningbike
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by maddeningbike » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:47 am

maddeningbike wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:16 pm
Hey, thought I'd join in and add my timeline here too. I applied from the UK by sending my application to the London embassy in August. I received a confirmation on 30th August 2018 but I've heard nothing since.
I'm officially in the 11 month club now. Hopefully hear something in the next month!

Just a quick check-in to say that I'm still here and to thank everyone for all of the posts. Nice to know I'm not alone in waiting, this little community we have has been really helpful :)

Faull_guy
Newly Registered
Mood:
Scotland

Post by Faull_guy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:28 pm

Interesting to read the postings etc here. I’m new to the forum.
I received the email stating my application and supporting documentation had been received on 16/04/19. My documents were sent to Dublin office.
Curious to know if any progress was being made I called Dublin on Thursday last week. I was told it was active on the system, no progress has been made on my application and it will take at least 12 months from application before I will hear the result. So I’m estimating that it will probably be towards the end of 2020 before I get my Irish passport.

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:26 pm

Faull_guy wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:28 pm
Interesting to read the postings etc here. I’m new to the forum.
I received the email stating my application and supporting documentation had been received on 16/04/19. My documents were sent to Dublin office.
Curious to know if any progress was being made I called Dublin on Thursday last week. I was told it was active on the system, no progress has been made on my application and it will take at least 12 months from application before I will hear the result. So I’m estimating that it will probably be towards the end of 2020 before I get my Irish passport.
Hi Faull_guy

I wouldn't call FBR to ask about your application being processed until at least 6 months have passed unless you need to inform the department for change of address or another issue but it's upto you.

Some applications processed from some consulates in various countries where there is a lower amount of applicants would normally be processed much faster and we have a few members whom have waited less than 6 months whom applied through the Irish consulates/embassy Scotland, Mexico and Malaysia.

There are more Irish consulates opening around the world but not sure if this will help with high numbers applying but I hope it does.

New consulates opened recently

Irish consulate Cardiff, Wales, UK
Irish Embassy Wellington, New Zealand
Irish consulate, Vancouver, Canada

From this thread we know all UK & USA applications are now going through the Foreign Births Registrar in Balbriggan, Co. Dublin (Bulk of applications)

Luna2019
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Luna2019 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi everyone. Nice to meet you.

I just began this process for my kids, so I'm posting a timeline that I suspect I won't be finalizing until sometime next year. I'm very anxious about the whole process and hope that I did everything right. Here's my current timeline:

8/1/19: filled out online applications and mailed app and supporting paperwork from NY to Dublin via USPS Priority.
8/4: package arrived at Dublin Airport

I believe our application is straightforward. My father (the kids' grandfather) was born in Ireland. I am an Irish citizen based on that. The kids are applying for FBR based on that.

I am nervous that I did not send in marriage certificates as there were no name changes as a result of the marriages and, thus, I would think, no bearing on Irish descent. Still, I believe someone was asked to send in marriage certificates anyway. I had everything witnessed by a school secretary, who was able to provide the school's raised stamp and business cards. This was listed as an appropriate witness on the application, but I'm hoping that's okay.

Again, nice to meet everyone here and hoping to be able to check back often as people post good news.

Pumps100
Scotland

Post by Pumps100 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:46 pm

maddeningbike wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:47 am
maddeningbike wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:16 pm
Hey, thought I'd join in and add my timeline here too. I applied from the UK by sending my application to the London embassy in August. I received a confirmation on 30th August 2018 but I've heard nothing since.
I'm officially in the 11 month club now. Hopefully hear something in the next month!

Just a quick check-in to say that I'm still here and to thank everyone for all of the posts. Nice to know I'm not alone in waiting, this little community we have has been really helpful :)
I'm 29th August so very close to you.

All the best

Ian

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:20 pm

Luna2019 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:31 pm
Hi everyone. Nice to meet you.

I just began this process for my kids, so I'm posting a timeline that I suspect I won't be finalizing until sometime next year. I'm very anxious about the whole process and hope that I did everything right. Here's my current timeline:

8/1/19: filled out online applications and mailed app and supporting paperwork from NY to Dublin via USPS Priority.
8/4: package arrived at Dublin Airport

I believe our application is straightforward. My father (the kids' grandfather) was born in Ireland. I am an Irish citizen based on that. The kids are applying for FBR based on that.

I am nervous that I did not send in marriage certificates as there were no name changes as a result of the marriages and, thus, I would think, no bearing on Irish descent. Still, I believe someone was asked to send in marriage certificates anyway. I had everything witnessed by a school secretary, who was able to provide the school's raised stamp and business cards. This was listed as an appropriate witness on the application, but I'm hoping that's okay.

Again, nice to meet everyone here and hoping to be able to check back often as people post good news.
Hi Luna
Nice to meet you on this platform,
I would always follow requirements for documents just in case this slows down your kids applications also a school secretary is not on the list of witnesses and this will more than likely hold up the application or even make it start over again I am afraid to say but it is also possible they (DFA) may just ask for another witness for your kids application.

Good luck and welcome to the forum

Lee

usczkat
Mood:
United States of America

Post by usczkat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:31 pm

Pumps100 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:46 pm
maddeningbike wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:47 am
[quote=maddeningbike post_id=1788567

Just a quick check-in to say
I'm 29th August so very close to you.

All the best

Ian
Any day now is my current theme song.
I wrote an email last week just for kicks and giggles, no reply yet, I'll let you know if I get any response. I've written 3 other times in the past 6 months and the reply is always similar (Haha note, spellcheck had that last word spelled out as sinister!🤣 glad I read before I just posted!), that my application was recieved Aug 22,2018,and that I am in the queue for processing.
Cheers to the 12 month mark!!

Luna2019
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Luna2019 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi all. Thanks for your response, Lee.

My application does list school secretary as an acceptable witness. I wish I could attach a photo.

As for the marriage licenses, wondering if I should send them in. It's strange to me though: after all birth certificates say I am my father's child, and that I am my children's mother. No name changes. If we'd never married, the case would be the same. I would have thought marriage licenses would be important to show name changes only.

Thanks again for the discussion here. Very nervous about this.

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:05 pm

Luna2019 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:45 pm
Hi all. Thanks for your response, Lee.

My application does list school secretary as an acceptable witness. I wish I could attach a photo.

As for the marriage licenses, wondering if I should send them in. It's strange to me though: after all birth certificates say I am my father's child, and that I am my children's mother. No name changes. If we'd never married, the case would be the same. I would have thought marriage licenses would be important to show name changes only.

Thanks again for the discussion here. Very nervous about this.
Hi Luna
I have just checked the New York consulate website citizenship link and you can have a School Principal witness the applications but no school secretary. I had mine witnessed by a MD/Registered Doctor for a cost of £30.00 had no choice as my bank doesn't witness nor could I find a member of clergy to do it. Hopefully one of the forum members will be able to help out with some ideas on what to do.

Kind regards

Lee

Luna2019
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Luna2019 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:14 pm

Looking at my copy. There are actually 2 lists of acceptable witnesses. One says school secretary, one does not. In any case, I see that the person's title who signed mine is Registrar. I hope I didn't talk to up.

Thanks again for the patience here.

Luna2019
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Luna2019 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:16 pm

I meant "talk to it up." (Auto correct, I guess.)

Luna2019
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Luna2019 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:17 pm

Yikes! It did it again.

"Mess it up." Maybe that will go through. Sorry.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:02 am

Luna2019 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:17 pm
Yikes! It did it again.

"Mess it up." Maybe that will go through. Sorry.
Hi Luna,

Welcome to the forum.

The marriage certificates and any divorce certificates you may have are very likely to be requested. I advise you to source certified copies and contact FBR clarifications for instructions on how to submit them. I was in exactly the same position as you are - no name changes and these certificates appeared to be superfluous. However, it was made clear to me by the embassy I applied through that such secondary documents were used to establish the veracity of details supplied by the birth certificates etc. They cross reference all the certificates they get to ensure there are no major inconsistencies. Therefore, the more documents they have that align, the more comfortable the officer in charge of your application is likely to be in signing off on it. I hope that makes sense.

As for the witness, I have never heard anyone on this forum talk about school secretary or registrar as an acceptable witness. It was certainly not on the application form I completed. School principal was there, however. There may have been some changes to the form since I applied, but from what I have gathered here, it seems to have become more restrictive, not less. I suggest a call to your local Irish consulate or an email to the FBR clarifications dept to confirm that the witness is permissible.

Best of luck.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:08 am

This is the full applicants list from 2018 (May on) and 2019. Obviously, a lot of people are missing, especially from the November 2018 onward. Please help me out by telling me your received dates if you do not already appear. I have added some country information to some successful applicants. These are people (like me) who had non-direct, embassy based applications. Nowadays, these seem to be swifter. The information has been given to avoid misleading people who applied direct about likely timelines.

May 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Jacqui309 – received May 15th / Pending
Emma86 – received May 30th (Added to FBR November 20th 2018)

June 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Ben321 – received mid-June / Pending (coming soon)
Cindy – received June 14th / Pending
156Nathan – received June 16th (Added to FBR November 14th 2018)

July 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Brawn – received July 2nd (Added to FBR March 13th 2019)
Jpauls – received July 12th (Added to FBR November 13th 2018)
Nick1066 _ received July 18th online date (Added to FBR November 14th 2018)
BostonCeltics – received July 20th (Added to FBR November 15th 2018)
Stephen F – received July 20th 2018 (Added to FBR unknown / Certificate received January 10th 2019)
Samantha – received July 22nd / (Added to FBR July 2nd 2019) Thai Case
James_mcfc – received July 25th (Added to the FBR November 27th 2018)
Rbs3 – received July 27th (Added to FBR March 26th 2019)
Rdslight – received July 31st (Added to FBR – unknown / Certificate received June 3rd 2019)
Richard – received July 31st (added to FBR March 10th 2019)

August 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Oction – received August 1st (Added to FBR July 11th 2019)
Sean – received August 2nd (Added to FBR December 19th 2018)
Spav – received August 3rd (Added to FBR December 11th 2018)
Amcbamcb – received August 8th (Added to FBR May 17th 2019)
Hol292 – received August 10th (Added to FBR July 5th 2019)
Sulla – received August 14th (Added to FBR November 28th 2018) Chinese Case
LeifRNR – received August 14th Added to FBR July 17th 2019)
Laurie – received August 15th / Pending
Valiant – Received August 16th 2018 / Pending
Michael – received August 21st / (Added to FBR June 7th 2019)
Donna – received August 21st / (Added to FBR June 7th 2019)
Upliam _ received August 22nd / Pending
USczKat – received August 23rd / Pending
SonicBoom – received August 28th / Pending
Pumps100 – received August 29th / Pending
MaddeningBike – received August 30th / Pending
Nydccub – received August 31st / Pending

September 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Court2 - received September 1st / Pending
Clongwill – received September 6th / Pending
Fillio39 – received September 11th / Pending
Costus – received September 14th / Pending
Spike – received September 20th / Pending
Wims - received September 24th / Pending
Kkjak - received September 27th / Pending
Sqimandy - received September 27th / Pending
LesMalouinettes- received September 27th / Pending
Aion - received September 27th / Pending
MaryO – received September (unspecified date) / Pending

October 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Theonlyh- received October 9th / Pending
Marwin – received October 15th / (Added to FBR June 18th 2019) German Case
Macdo_Macdo - received October 16th / Pending
Miles892 - received October 22nd / Pending

November 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
MasterCaution – received November 28th / Pending. German case

January 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
SamJakeChloe – received 21st January / (Added to FBR End April 2019) Malaysian Case

April 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
Faull_Guy – received April 16th / Pending

June 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
Powerbook1 – received June 26th / (Added to FBR July 25th 2019) Hong Kong Case
JgClancy – received June 27th / Pending

July 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
CATG – received July 8th / Pending
Flyingmum – received July 19th / Pending

Luna2019
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Luna2019 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:27 am

Thank you, Sulla. Yes, that makes sense about the marriage certificates. I will get those together immediately and send them asap in the hopes they can be added to the file.

I wish I could take a photo of the app I filled out and send it. There are two lists, one includes a school secretary. I will call them.

It's amazing all the information you have compiled here.

Thanks for all the help here. I'm wishing everyone the best.

tomriddle2u
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by tomriddle2u » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:57 am

No need to call list of acceptable witness on the website under witness tab.

https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... ign-birth/

Your supporting docs the marriage cert should be posted to the same address with your application number and a cover note.

tomriddle2u
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by tomriddle2u » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:58 am

Before you send your application form to the relevant office, you must have it witnessed by an appropriate person who is personally know to you but is not a relation.

The same witness should witness the form and two of the photographs and use their official stamp on the form. They should also certify a photocopy of the applicant's state-issued identity document as a true copy of the original.

If the witness does not have an official stamp you should supply a business card for them.

Who can witness the application form and photographs?

The witness can be one of the following, who is personally known to you and currently practicing in their profession:

Garda Síochána/ Police Officer
School Principal/ Vice Principal/ Teacher/ School Secretary/ Pre-school Manager/ Montessori Teacher/ Lecturer
Member of Clergy
Medical Doctor
Nurse
Physiotherapist
Speech Therapist
Pharmacist
Dentist
Lawyer
Notary Public/ Commissioner for Oaths
Peace Commissioner
Bank Manager/ Assistant Bank Manager or Credit Union Manager or Assistant Manager
Accountant
Elected Public Representative
Vet
Chartered Engineer

Luna2019
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Luna2019 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:02 am

Thank you, Tom. That is the exact list I have, so hoping (very much hoping) that all is well there.

I am going to do as you say and send in my parents' marriage certificate and mine, with a note and the application numbers.

Thank you!

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:15 am

Sulla wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:08 am
This is the full applicants list from 2018 (May on) and 2019. Obviously, a lot of people are missing, especially from the November 2018 onward. Please help me out by telling me your received dates if you do not already appear. I have added some country information to some successful applicants. These are people (like me) who had non-direct, embassy based applications. Nowadays, these seem to be swifter. The information has been given to avoid misleading people who applied direct about likely timelines.
US applicant, direct to Balbriggan. Received 29 January 2019, pending.

emlyn
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by emlyn » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:11 am

Sulla wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:08 am
Please help me out by telling me your received dates if you do not already appear.
Sulla, thanks for compiling this. My timeline as follows:

15th Jan 2019 - Signed for at London Embassy
25th Feb 2019 - "Your application has now been received" email (received at Balbriggan, presumably)

I'm uncertain which of these represents the start of the process; use whichever date you see fit. Based on posts here, I'm not expecting anything on the FBR front until early next year.