ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for kids of a British parent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

epi
United Kingdom

Citizenship for kids of a British parent

Post by epi » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Hello,

I have a friend who is a naturalised British citizen, lives permanently in his home country and has 9 year old twins born there (outside the UK). Spouse is not British. Do I understand correctly that kids are automatically British and what is the right way to confirm their citizenship and get passports?

Thank you.

secret.simon

Re: Citizenship for kids of a British parent

Post by secret.simon » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:04 pm

Provided the twins were born on or after the date on the naturalisation certificate, the children are British citizens by descent and can apply directly for a British passport. Depending on where they are located, it can take up to a year for them to get British passports.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

epi
United Kingdom

Post by epi » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:11 pm

Thank you! Means in their case there will be no proof such as a hard copy certificate confirming that they are British?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:27 pm

epi wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:11 pm
there will be no proof such as a hard copy certificate confirming that they are British?
Correct. Because they acquired British citizenship at birth, there is no hard copy certificate confirming their British citizenship. Such a certificate (of either registration or naturalisation) would only be issued if they acquired British citizenship at some point after birth.

However, they will need to keep their father's naturalisation certificate and their own birth certificate safe as that that is the only proof of their (and their children's) British citizenship.

Of course, as British citizens by descent, their children will only be British citizens automatically if their children (your friend's grandchildren) are born in the UK. Any children born to the twins outside the UK will not be born British citizens.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.