ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kamana
Hong Kong

MN1 Application

Post by Kamana » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:48 pm

Hi all the helpful members here..
Can a child who is born to the UK go out of the UK and come in if the the child has MN1 application with Home Office. Child was born couple of months ago and doesn't have any visa. The plan is to directly apply for MN1 when one of the parent gets ILR.
The child has a passport from his parent's original country.

Thanks

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: MN1 Application

Post by zimba » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:03 pm

No. A child needs a valid visa or a British passport to be admitted to the UK. If the child is a NON visa national, s/he can be admitted as a visitor to the UK only
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Kamana
Hong Kong

Post by Kamana » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:39 pm

Zimba wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:03 pm
No. A child needs a valid visa or a British passport to be admitted to the UK. If the child is a NON visa national, s/he can be admitted as a visitor to the UK only
This raises few questions.
Q1. Can the child apply directly for MN1 without having ILR or any other visa first as he is born in the UK (once one of his parent gets ILR)?
Q2. Can he go out of the UK and come back in after his MN1 gets approved (using the certificate) but on a non-UK passport?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:07 pm

Q1. Yes, a UK born child has an entitlement to register as British once either parent is granted ILR. The child does not need ILR.

Q2. Yes, he can travel. Note the registration certificate is NOT a travel document. He can only use a passport to travel but if he is already British on return to the UK, he should be ok to enter if explaining on arrival etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Kamana
Hong Kong

Post by Kamana » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 pm

Hi,
Few questions again... The passport we hold allows us to come to the UK for 6 months on a visitor visa granted on-arrival. My question is that will the child (UK born -who doesn't have any visa) be allowed to come to the UK using a non-UK passport (using 6 month visitor visa) and then apply for MN1?
Note that parents will be using their valid visa/ILR to come in.
The other question is when the MN1 is approved does s/he need to go out and re-enter to the UK before completing the 6 months as he will be on a visitors visa.
Or will it be safer to travel once the child gets his/her MN1 certificate?
Thanks for all your help.

Kamana
Hong Kong

Post by Kamana » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:02 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:07 pm
Q1. Yes, a UK born child has an entitlement to register as British once either parent is granted ILR. The child does not need ILR.

Q2. Yes, he can travel. Note the registration certificate is NOT a travel document. He can only use a passport to travel but if he is already British on return to the UK, he should be ok to enter if explaining on arrival etc.
Hi,
Few questions again... The passport we hold allows us to come to the UK for 6 months on a visitor visa granted on-arrival. My question is that will the child (UK born -who doesn't have any visa) be allowed to come to the UK using a non-UK passport (using 6 month visitor visa) and then apply for MN1?
Note that parents will be using their valid visa/ILR to come in.
The other question is when the MN1 is approved does s/he need to go out and re-enter to the UK before completing the 6 months as he will be on a visitors visa.
Or will it be safer to travel once the child gets his/her MN1 certificate?
Thanks for all your help.

Nitch
Newly Registered

Post by Nitch » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:28 am

I did just that last December.
Children were undergoing MN1 process after parents were settled. We arrived at the airport with the receipt for the MN1 and had absolutely no issues at immigration.

Kamana
Hong Kong

Post by Kamana » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:24 pm

Nitch wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:28 am
Children were undergoing MN1 process after parents were settled. We arrived at the airport with the receipt for the MN1 and had absolutely no issues at immigration.
Thanks for confirming that. Could you please confirm whether the kids had a valid visa at the time they came to the UK?
If they didn't have a valid visa on what basis were they allowed to the UK?

Thanks

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:10 pm

A child cannot simply enter the UK because you merely registered that child under MN1. Registration under MN1 doesn't give the child any right to be in the UK unless it was approved making that child a British citizen. As I advised the baby will be admitted as a visitor and apply under MN1.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Nitch
Newly Registered

Post by Nitch » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:55 am

Kamana wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:24 pm
Nitch wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:28 am
Thanks for confirming that. Could you please confirm whether the kids had a valid visa at the time they came to the UK?
If they didn't have a valid visa on what basis were they allowed to the UK?

Thanks
The children are American citizens, they receieved a "Leave to Enter" stamp valid for 6 months, not the usual visitor stamp.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:27 pm

All non visa nationals like Americans get a '6 months leave to enter' stamp if they are not residents in their passports upon arrival. That is the visitor stamp. It is worth contacting the border force at the port you landed and ask them if there is a need to amend the stamp when the child is registered.