ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit Question

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

eva382
Newly Registered

EEA Family Permit Question

Post by eva382 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:40 pm

Hi everybody, First of all thanks for the amazing forum.

Ok...I am a Non-eea spouse of a dutch national living in UK. We have a daughter ,she has a dutch passport too.
I know i can travel without schengen visa with my spouse, but my question is if i want to travel to Netherlands,only with my daughter do i need a visa? or the same visa free rule applies bcoz she is an eea family member as well.

Another Q. We r planning a weekend family trip to Netherlands, from dover to calais. do i need a visa for france or i can just use my EEA family permit (UK)
Bit confused bcoz we are not going to stay in france just crossing...
Thanks for reading...Cheers!

Plum70
Diamond Member

Re: EEA Family Permit Question

Post by Plum70 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:41 pm

eva382 wrote:Hi everybody, First of all thanks for the amazing forum.

Ok...I am a Non-eea spouse of a dutch national living in UK. We have a daughter ,she has a dutch passport too.
I know i can travel without schengen visa with my spouse, but my question is if i want to travel to Netherlands,only with my daughter do i need a visa? or the same visa free rule applies bcoz she is an eea family member as well.

Another Q. We r planning a weekend family trip to Netherlands, from dover to calais. do i need a visa for france or i can just use my EEA family permit (UK)
Bit confused bcoz we are not going to stay in france just crossing...
Thanks for reading...Cheers!
You would need to apply at the French embassy in the UK for a transit visa to France. If you plan to visit the Netherlands in the future w/out your spouse then you would also need to apply for a schengen visa from the dutch embassy which should be issued to you free of charge

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:00 pm

You really should get a Dutch-issued Schengen visa. For you that will be an easy process, and as already said, the application is free.

That Schengen visa will be valid in all Schengen area countries, including France. I can't see any sense getting a French-issued transit visa. The Schengen visa will permit you to cross France and then Belgium, on the way to the Netherlands.
John

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:10 am

I can't see any sense getting a French-issued transit visa. The Schengen visa will permit you to cross France and then Belgium, on the way to the Netherlands.
You may well be right John. So with a dutch-issued schengen visa one can pass through France 1st w/out the Netherlands being their first port of entry before any other schengen state?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:31 am

Yes, that is right. The rule is that you apply for your Schengen visa from the country that is the "Main Destination", but if there is no main destination, then you apply to the first Schengen country that you will enter.

So by definition, it could well be the case that the first country you will enter is not your main destination. No problem, that country and any other Schengen country you will transit, will let you cross with no problem.

In practice, for the OP, travelling on the ferry/tunnel from England to France, there are now juxtaposed immigration controls. So French immigration controls in England, before boarding, travel to France, drive straight to the French/Belgian border .... totally open ... no checks .. through Belgium .... and then into Netherlands .... again a totally open border.

eva382, you do not post your nationality. Can you do that? Do you actually need a Schengen visa to enter "Schengenland"?
John

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:52 am

Thanx for the clarification John. One more thing though: Say my main destination is Germany, I apply for a german-issued schengen visa, go to Germany (and any other member states), return home. At another time, if I wish to travel to say Italy (main destination) can I use the same german-issued schengen visa (provided it's valid)?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:47 am

John wrote:You really should get a Dutch-issued Schengen visa. For you that will be an easy process, and as already said, the application is free.
Trouble is they obviously don't do that anymore.

eva382
Newly Registered

Back from Holland

Post by eva382 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi guyz, back from holland. Thankx for the replies. we drove from harwich to hoek van holland, without a visa. A lady from Stenaline UK did ask for a visa but i explained her the Directive 2004/38/EC, she wasn't convinced but did let me go.
On the way back from holland to uk, another lady ask why i didnt had a visa for holland, i explained her everything again. But she told me a very silly thing that she had no idea what an EEA resident permit is after a long chat with her staff she understood and asked me to get a free schengen visa next time. its not required but it will save you from all the headache you get while educating them.

Thanks again everybody!