ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage Visa - Quick Question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ramsay

Marriage Visa - Quick Question

Post by Ramsay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:39 am

I am getting married in a few weeks with my lass being on a fiancee visa issued on a Nepal Travel Doc. The good lady wants to take my surname.

Do I need to get the name on the travel doc changed to our married name before applying for the visa?

jimmymcad
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

hi

Post by jimmymcad » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:58 pm

No harm in doing so.

Ramsay

Post by Ramsay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:20 pm

I was more wondering if it is obligatory to change the passport first. Getting a new travel doc out of the Nepali embassy with only four months left on the Fiancee visa may be a bit of a 'Challenge Aneka' type mission.

Cheers

Enquirer77

Post by Enquirer77 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Ramsay,

No, you shouldn't change her name to your married name on the travel document, visa or passport before marriage.

If your fiancée is arriving in the UK for the first time on a Fiancée Visa, her name on that visa will be her maiden name. Even after you are married and you apply for a 2-year spouse visa, that visa will be attached to her passport which will still be in her maiden name.

If you try to book air tickets or travel through airports, the name on those tickets needs to be the same as the name on her passport.