ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working in the UK on an EEA family visa

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

workingamerican
Newly Registered
United States of America

Working in the UK on an EEA family visa

Post by workingamerican » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:02 pm

I am an American and my wife is a German citizen, and we both live in Germany. We would like to move to the UK, specifically Scotland.
I just received a job offer in Scotland, which would start at the end of October or early November, depending on what time frame works best for us to move there.

I am planning on applying for an EEA Family Permit. Will this allow me to work in Scotland? I would earn enough money to support both of us until she finds a job, but she probably won't begin her job search until after we arrive in Scotland. My only worry is whether I can legally work in the UK with an EEA Family Permit.

After we move to the UK, we will apply for a settlement visa. I have read this, but it does not answer any questions whether I am allowed to work with the EEA Family Permit: https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/eea-family-permit

Thank you in advance!

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Working in the UK on an EEA family visa

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:39 pm

workingamerican wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:02 pm
I am an American and my wife is a German citizen, and we both live in Germany. We would like to move to the UK, specifically Scotland.
I just received a job offer in Scotland, which would start at the end of October or early November, depending on what time frame works best for us to move there.

I am planning on applying for an EEA Family Permit. Will this allow me to work in Scotland? I would earn enough money to support both of us until she finds a job, but she probably won't begin her job search until after we arrive in Scotland. My only worry is whether I can legally work in the UK with an EEA Family Permit.

After we move to the UK, we will apply for a settlement visa. I have read this, but it does not answer any questions whether I am allowed to work with the EEA Family Permit: https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/eea-family-permit

Thank you in advance!
Hello

If you have an EEA family card, usually you can work anywhere in the UK. It's only in some marginal cases that they deliver them without the righ to work. As your wife is EEA, you will get a card with a right to work.

Your wife need to come to the UK and show that she is exercising treaty rights. This means she is installed in the UK and having some sort of activity.

Then, you apply for an EEA family member card. You will first get a COA (Certificate of Application) but email or post and you can already work with that.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:20 pm

workingamerican wrote:

Thank you in advance!
You can work with an EEA Family Permit as long as your wife is exercising treaty rights, but employers tend to be reluctant to believe it, prefer to see a COA with documented work rights or a residence card.

Your wife would exercise EU treaty rights as either a jobseeker or self-sufficient through your income. In that case you'd both need private health insurance (CSI) on top of NHS access until she starts working herself.

You can then apply for either pre-settled status - UK domestic immigration law, free of charge - or a Residence Card for family members or EEA nationals - EU law, provided you arrive before Brexit happened, £ 60, you will then need to apply for pre-settled status before a certain deadline depending on when and if Brexit happens.

End of October/beginning of November may be a tricky time to move to the UK, especially if a no deal Brexit happens on 31st October.

I hope you have a good time in Scotland! I lived in Edinburgh for six years and miss it dearly.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:24 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:39 pm
workingamerican wrote:

Thank you in advance!
Hello

If you have an EEA family card, usually you can work anywhere in the UK. It's only in some marginal cases that they deliver them without the righ to work. As your wife is EEA, you will get a card with a right to work.

Your wife need to come to the UK and show that she is exercising treaty rights. This means she is installed in the UK and having some sort of activity.

Then, you apply for an EEA family member card. You will first get a COA (Certificate of Application) but email or post and you can already work with that.
In what case does an EEA residence card not allow work? Some COAs come without the right to work, but that's for unmarried partners or where it's not clearly established that the applicant is indeed a family member.

OP is asking about EEA family permit (entry clearance), which can be applied for to accompany the EEA family member, so they can move together. No need for the wife to move ahead of him on her own.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

workingamerican
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by workingamerican » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:31 am

ALKB wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:24 pm
Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:39 pm
workingamerican wrote:

Thank you in advance!
Hello

In what case does an EEA residence card not allow work? Some COAs come without the right to work, but that's for unmarried partners or where it's not clearly established that the applicant is indeed a family member.

OP is asking about EEA family permit (entry clearance), which can be applied for to accompany the EEA family member, so they can move together. No need for the wife to move ahead of him on her own.

Thank you for the responses everyone :) This is what we had read as well, that we can move there together and then she can exercise her treaty rights after we arrive. Our goal is to arrive in the middle of October, so if an October 31st brexit happens, then we will have 2 weeks to get the necessary paperwork submitted.

I am going to make an appointment at the UK Visa Office (I forget the name of the actual office) in Berlin for the EEA Family Visa, and that should take ~5 days to hear an answer, at which point I will be able to live & work in the UK for 6 months until my wife gets her Residence card (or settled status).

Is there anything that I am forgetting to do?
Thank you again!

workingamerican
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by workingamerican » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:49 am

ALKB wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:20 pm
workingamerican wrote:

Thank you in advance!
You can work with an EEA Family Permit as long as your wife is exercising treaty rights, but employers tend to be reluctant to believe it, prefer to see a COA with documented work rights or a residence card.

Your wife would exercise EU treaty rights as either a jobseeker or self-sufficient through your income. In that case you'd both need private health insurance (CSI) on top of NHS access until she starts working herself.

You can then apply for either pre-settled status - UK domestic immigration law, free of charge - or a Residence Card for family members or EEA nationals - EU law, provided you arrive before Brexit happened, £ 60, you will then need to apply for pre-settled status before a certain deadline depending on when and if Brexit happens.

End of October/beginning of November may be a tricky time to move to the UK, especially if a no deal Brexit happens on 31st October.

I hope you have a good time in Scotland! I lived in Edinburgh for six years and miss it dearly.
Do you have any recommendations for where to get private health insurance? We could get it privately in Germany, but do you know if the UK requires that it is a certain type of insurance?

My wife will probably take a few months to find the right job for her, so we will need this at least for a few months.

Thank you for your help!

We are very excited to live in Edinburgh! We've visited twice and absolutely love the city

Blacksea28
Turkey

Post by Blacksea28 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:55 pm

workingamerican wrote:

Thank you in advance!
You cannot take up job with first 6 months EEA visa unless "permitted to work" stated on your remarks section of EEA visa. Your employer will need to make visa check to Home Office and HM will answer to them that you cannot take up job. - when you call HO EEA visa section, they will tell you this info.

Even though you can come with your EEA spouse and she can start look for job but it is not counted as exercising treaty rights because in order to have Job seeker status officially, your wife needs to move here and look for job at least 90 days and then, she needs to visit job center to register there as job seeker. They will ask for evidence that she moved to the UK and looking for a job for more than 90 days and still could not find... Otherwise she won't be counted as job seeker so that means no exercising treaty rights.

Therefore, do not go to EEA route, just apply for EU settlement scheme in the same time with your wife through android app. It takes some time, but no treaty right or financial or health insurance requirement and faster than EEA route.

But anyway, you cannot take up job legally until your final EU settlement scheme COA.

I can suggest you one of below,

1-) You can come at least 1 month before and apply right away to settlement scheme and I believe in 1 month you would receive your COA/BIO card. (In certain cases it is very straight forward, i.e. I received my RC card in 20 calendar days upon arriving to the UK)

2-) Your wife can start looking for job and if possible can get job offer with starting day earlier than you(even one day earlier than you would be sufficient), then you can provide marriage act, copy of EEA visa, your wife's job contact to your employer to prove that you are family member of an EEA and your wife is exercising treaty rights. Then it is up to your employer to take risk or not. Depends on how qualified and imortant for the business you are, they can wait with HO employee check. (For me it worked and they did such check after my COA). Vast majority of employers do not want to take risk because they can receive 20K GBP penalty and they can be in HO black list etc.

3-) May be your employer can sponsor your visa and once in the UK you can apply EU settlement scheme and change your status.

I would recommend you the first option, I believe it would resolve the issues, in case of 2-3 weeks more delay, your employer could just wait until you get COA

Good luck!

workingamerican
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by workingamerican » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:18 am

Blacksea28 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:55 pm
workingamerican wrote:

Thank you in advance!
You cannot take up job with first 6 months EEA visa unless "permitted to work" stated on your remarks section of EEA visa. Your employer will need to make visa check to Home Office and HM will answer to them that you cannot take up job. - when you call HO EEA visa section, they will tell you this info.

Even though you can come with your EEA spouse and she can start look for job but it is not counted as exercising treaty rights because in order to have Job seeker status officially, your wife needs to move here and look for job at least 90 days and then, she needs to visit job center to register there as job seeker. They will ask for evidence that she moved to the UK and looking for a job for more than 90 days and still could not find... Otherwise she won't be counted as job seeker so that means no exercising treaty rights.

Therefore, do not go to EEA route, just apply for EU settlement scheme in the same time with your wife through android app. It takes some time, but no treaty right or financial or health insurance requirement and faster than EEA route.

But anyway, you cannot take up job legally until your final EU settlement scheme COA.

I can suggest you one of below,

1-) You can come at least 1 month before and apply right away to settlement scheme and I believe in 1 month you would receive your COA/BIO card. (In certain cases it is very straight forward, i.e. I received my RC card in 20 calendar days upon arriving to the UK)

2-) Your wife can start looking for job and if possible can get job offer with starting day earlier than you(even one day earlier than you would be sufficient), then you can provide marriage act, copy of EEA visa, your wife's job contact to your employer to prove that you are family member of an EEA and your wife is exercising treaty rights. Then it is up to your employer to take risk or not. Depends on how qualified and imortant for the business you are, they can wait with HO employee check. (For me it worked and they did such check after my COA). Vast majority of employers do not want to take risk because they can receive 20K GBP penalty and they can be in HO black list etc.

3-) May be your employer can sponsor your visa and once in the UK you can apply EU settlement scheme and change your status.

I would recommend you the first option, I believe it would resolve the issues, in case of 2-3 weeks more delay, your employer could just wait until you get COA

Good luck!
Thanks for all of the information. It all seems to be a bit unclear when reading online whether someone is allowed to work under the EEA family permit.

Do you know if we can apply for the EU settlement scheme while living outside of the UK (in Germany)?

We were hoping that my wife could take a few months off of working, since I will be earning enough money to support both of us.
We thought that we could apply for the EEA Family Permit, then move to the UK where I would begin working under the EEA family permit, and then apply for EU settlement scheme. But you are saying that this is not possible?

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:38 am

workingamerican wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:31 am

I am going to make an appointment at the UK Visa Office (I forget the name of the actual office) in Berlin for the EEA Family Visa, and that should take ~5 days to hear an answer, at which point I will be able to live & work in the UK for 6 months until my wife gets her Residence card (or settled status).

Is there anything that I am forgetting to do?
Thank you again!
Whenever my husband applied for an EEA family permit (by the way, it's not a visa by definition) it always took about three weeks including sending back and forth between Berlin and the decision-making post - in Düsseldorf if I remember right.

It's you most of all who is in need of a residence card or pre-settled status. Your wife could either apply for a certificate of registration (EU law) or pre-settled status. She won't be eligible for settled status until she has spent five years in the UK, exercising treaty rights.

workingamerican
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by workingamerican » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:59 am

ALKB wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:38 am

Whenever my husband applied for an EEA family permit (by the way, it's not a visa by definition) it always took about three weeks including sending back and forth between Berlin and the decision-making post - in Düsseldorf if I remember right.

It's you most of all who is in need of a residence card or pre-settled status. Your wife could either apply for a certificate of registration (EU law) or pre-settled status. She won't be eligible for settled status until she has spent five years in the UK, exercising treaty rights.
Okay she will apply for pre-settled status, but do we have to be living in the UK in order to apply for pre-settled status? Or is this something that she can apply for while still living in Germany?

The problem is that I am supposed to start my job on November 5th in Edinburgh. We are thinking that she should go over on October 14th, and then apply for pre-settled. But would I be able to start working after she applies for pre-settled status? Do I need to apply for an EEA family permit before I go to the UK?
Sorry if this sounds confusing, I am confused as to what we need to do.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:59 am

workingamerican wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:49 am

Do you have any recommendations for where to get private health insurance? We could get it privately in Germany, but do you know if the UK requires that it is a certain type of insurance?

My wife will probably take a few months to find the right job for her, so we will need this at least for a few months.

Thank you for your help!

We are very excited to live in Edinburgh! We've visited twice and absolutely love the city
I never needed to look into this because I was always working from day one whenever we moved to the UK (first England, then after a stint in Asia, to Edinburgh) and as such it was very clear that my husband was entitled to an EEA family permit, once we applied for it before moving, we moved together and he started work a few days after me.

I think BUPA offer CSI and doing an online search a few comparison websites came up, so there should be plenty of providers.

Edinburgh is mostly fantastically beautiful (and in some places depressingly ugly), albeit a lot darker than Berlin in winter (about two hours daylight less per day) and most years we had the heating on 10-11 months in the year. It might be worth considering a well-insulated flat with double glazing over historical charm. The building we lived in was from 1749 and although the walls were more than a meter thick, they seemed to keep warmth out rather than in. Upside: two additional hours of daylight in summer when compared to Berlin :)

Your wife should also register on the electoral roll as soon as you move. It will give you an official piece of correspondence that can be used as proof of address for opening a bank account, registering with a GP, etc.

To be very honest, if it were me, I'd not dawdle with starting to work, not with Brexit coming up and everybody being horribly confused about everything and EU national's rights in particular. Even if it's just part time in a job that she doesn't want to keep for long, her having a job would make everything a lot easier for you and keep the authorities off your back until you got your residence card or pre-settled status. She could always take a break later on, as long as you both have CSI.

workingamerican
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by workingamerican » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:07 am

ALKB wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:59 am

I never needed to look into this because I was always working from day one whenever we moved to the UK (first England, then after a stint in Asia, to Edinburgh) and as such it was very clear that my husband was entitled to an EEA family permit, once we applied for it before moving, we moved together and he started work a few days after me.

I think BUPA offer CSI and doing an online search a few comparison websites came up, so there should be plenty of providers.

Edinburgh is mostly fantastically beautiful (and in some places depressingly ugly), albeit a lot darker than Berlin in winter (about two hours daylight less per day) and most years we had the heating on 10-11 months in the year. It might be worth considering a well-insulated flat with double glazing over historical charm. The building we lived in was from 1749 and although the walls were more than a meter thick, they seemed to keep warmth out rather than in. Upside: two additional hours of daylight in summer when compared to Berlin :)

Your wife should also register on the electoral roll as soon as you move. It will give you an official piece of correspondence that can be used as proof of address for opening a bank account, registering with a GP, etc.

To be very honest, if it were me, I'd not dawdle with starting to work, not with Brexit coming up and everybody being horribly confused about everything and EU national's rights in particular. Even if it's just part time in a job that she doesn't want to keep for long, her having a job would make everything a lot easier for you and keep the authorities off your back until you got your residence card or pre-settled status. She could always take a break later on, as long as you both have CSI.
Thank you for all of the advice!! Especially the advice about the flat, we will definitely take this into consideration :)

Could you explain what it means to register on the electoral roll?

So if my wife gets a part-time job at a Café, for example, would this allow me to work right away without any hassle?

workingamerican
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by workingamerican » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:33 am

From what I understand, I have 2 options:

1. After I arrive in the UK, my wife and I should apply for pre-settled status. Once I get my pre-settled status approved, I can then show my employer my pre-settled status, which will give me the right to work.

2. I can apply for a residence card as a family member of an EU citizen after I arrive in the UK. The downside is that this can take up to 6 months.

My wife and I are planning on going to Edinburgh on October 14th. My wife will try to get a part-time job before we arrive, so that it is easier for me to start working. I am supposed to start my job on November 5th.

Which direction should I go in (point 1 or 2) so that I can legally start working in time. Or is there another option that I am not aware of?

Thank you all for your help and advice.

workingamerican
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by workingamerican » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:42 am

workingamerican wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:33 am

1. After I arrive in the UK, my wife and I should apply for pre-settled status. Once I get my pre-settled status approved, I can then show my employer my pre-settled status, which will give me the right to work.

2. I can apply for a residence card as a family member of an EU citizen after I arrive in the UK. The downside is that this can take up to 6 months.

My wife and I are planning on going to Edinburgh on October 14th. My wife will try to get a part-time job before we arrive, so that it is easier for me to start working. I am supposed to start my job on November 5th.

Which direction should I go in (point 1 or 2) so that I can legally start working in time. Or is there another option that I am not aware of?

Based on a bit more research, I think I should go for point #1, because a Residence Card will become invalid after December 31, 2020 according to: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card ,
so I will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme regardless.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:45 am

workingamerican wrote:

I would do both 1 and 2. (I read elsewhere that you can chose to apply for two different EEA family permits from abroad: under EU law or under settlement scheme, not sure whether it matters at this point which one you go for.)

1 to get proof of work rights as soon as possible; 2 to still have proof of your EU rights at least until Brexit occurs. 2 might be a moot point if there will be a no deal Brexit on 31st October and the application ceases to exist but could still be a good thing to have if there is an extension or Brexit is cancelled or some other scenario we don't even dream of now.

Getting a part time job/non-high skilled job from outside of the UK is very difficult. Those kinds of jobs are usually given by handing in CVs personally either to the place directly or an employment agency and having on-the spot interviews or an interview very shortly after. If she is not in the UK and available for an interview, it's likely that she won't get a response at all. She can try but should be ready for a lot of radio silence.

If you want to PM me, I can give you the name of a company that seems to be one of the places where all the foreign language people end up at first. Not fantastic but solid. I worked there for my first six months in Edinburgh. They hire every Monday and offer part time jobs, too.

If you arrive before Brexit, your wife still has the right to vote in regional elections. As the UK does not have address registration which automatically gets you registered to vote in Germany, she has to call (or maybe it's possible online, now, too) the council and register for voting. This will give you a piece of official mail to your Edinburgh address within a couple of days. Registering also helps with building credit, since banks access the electoral roll to check details. I didn't know that and was only able to get a UK credit card after changing my 'closed' registration to an 'open' one - not sure whether these were the exact terms but something to that effect.

workingamerican
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by workingamerican » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:58 am

ALKB wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:45 am
workingamerican wrote:

I would do both 1 and 2. (I read elsewhere that you can chose to apply for two different EEA family permits from abroad: under EU law or under settlement scheme, not sure whether it matters at this point which one you go for.)

1 to get proof of work rights as soon as possible; 2 to still have proof of your EU rights at least until Brexit occurs. 2 might be a moot point if there will be a no deal Brexit on 31st October and the application ceases to exist but could still be a good thing to have if there is an extension or Brexit is cancelled or some other scenario we don't even dream of now.

Getting a part time job/non-high skilled job from outside of the UK is very difficult. Those kinds of jobs are usually given by handing in CVs personally either to the place directly or an employment agency and having on-the spot interviews or an interview very shortly after. If she is not in the UK and available for an interview, it's likely that she won't get a response at all. She can try but should be ready for a lot of radio silence.

If you want to PM me, I can give you the name of a company that seems to be one of the places where all the foreign language people end up at first. Not fantastic but solid. I worked there for my first six months in Edinburgh. They hire every Monday and offer part time jobs, too.

If you arrive before Brexit, your wife still has the right to vote in regional elections. As the UK does not have address registration which automatically gets you registered to vote in Germany, she has to call (or maybe it's possible online, now, too) the council and register for voting. This will give you a piece of official mail to your Edinburgh address within a couple of days. Registering also helps with building credit, since banks access the electoral roll to check details. I didn't know that and was only able to get a UK credit card after changing my 'closed' registration to an 'open' one - not sure whether these were the exact terms but something to that effect.
I hadn't thought about applying for a residence permit as well as pre-settled status, but that's a great idea! Especially with all of the uncertainty with Brexit.

Thank you for all of the detailed info, you have really helped relieve some of my stress through this whole process :)

I tried PM-ing you but it says that I am not authorized to read private messages. My account is pretty new on here, so maybe that is why?

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:03 pm

workingamerican wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:58 am
ALKB wrote:
workingamerican wrote:

I hadn't thought about applying for a residence permit as well as pre-settled status, but that's a great idea! Especially with all of the uncertainty with Brexit.

Thank you for all of the detailed info, you have really helped relieve some of my stress through this whole process :)

I tried PM-ing you but it says that I am not authorized to read private messages. My account is pretty new on here, so maybe that is why?
You are welcome!

Ah, yes, I think you need at lest 10 posts to be able to send and receive PMs. Nearly there :)

workingamerican
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by workingamerican » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:06 pm

ok this should be my 10th post, so hopefully it lets me now :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:08 pm

workingamerican wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:06 pm
ok this should be my 10th post, so hopefully it lets me now :D
It is 30 posts and any nonsense posts to increase your post count will be removed and the PM function permanently disabled. PM function is a privilege and can be withdrawn if it is abused.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

workingamerican
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by workingamerican » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:10 pm

ALKB wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:03 pm
workingamerican wrote:
ALKB wrote:
workingamerican wrote:

You are welcome!

Ah, yes, I think you need at lest 10 posts to be able to send and receive PMs. Nearly there :)
Ok it seems to be that it is 30 posts. So it seems like I can't send you a PM :|

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:00 pm

workingamerican wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Ok it seems to be that it is 30 posts. So it seems like I can't send you a PM :|
Yes, I totally forgot.

Do a search on Edinburgh contact centre calder.

Alternatively, there seem to be quite a lot of similar openings on the big UK job search sites, just enter Edinburgh and German.

workingamerican
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by workingamerican » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:22 pm

ALKB wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:00 pm
workingamerican wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Yes, I totally forgot.

Do a search on Edinburgh contact centre calder.

Alternatively, there seem to be quite a lot of similar openings on the big UK job search sites, just enter Edinburgh and German.
Ok we will do that. Thank you so much for all of your help and advice!

Blacksea28
Turkey

Post by Blacksea28 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:53 pm

workingamerican wrote:
ALKB wrote:
workingamerican wrote:

Hmm, well, you cannot apply to both in the meantime. If you do so, they will refuse one of it as far as I know. You can apply to EEA Family Permit Card and get final answer and then you can also apply EU settlement scheme. But in your case, it would not be a good option to wait 6 months then apply to EU settlement.. :)

Your wife definitely should start working immediately upon your arrival, she will have a least 1-2 pay slips so, you may try to convince your employer with marriage act, your wife's pay slips etc. Otherwise, if your wife does not perform treaty rights, you definitely cannot work legally.

But what I can tell is that if you are married like above 4-5 years, then HO does not bother and process your application very quick as no suspect of scam marriage etc. So in 20 calendar days, I believe you would receive final COA.