ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

AM I STATELESS PERSON ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Samyr

AM I STATELESS PERSON ?

Post by Samyr » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:09 pm

Hello,
I would like to thank everyone in this forum for the support.

I have been granted my Residence card today and it says under nationality currently unknown. I came here as a Somali asylum seeker, refused exhausted. Which travel document am i suppose to apply?

The Residence card has a number ASL.2150

Please help me guys. Thank you for your support.
Last edited by Samyr on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samyr

Post by Samyr » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:28 am

Hello all,

PLease can somebody advice what number should i call to apply the type of travel document, as i have explained in the previous thread.

Most appreciated.

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:14 pm

You should ask the HO about this. I know that even if you are successful in your asylum application you will still retain your original nationality. You were only given temporary stay until such time that they are ready to return you home.

Thandia

Post by Thandia » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:47 pm

parvus1202 wrote:You should ask the HO about this. I know that even if you are successful in your asylum application you will still retain your original nationality. You were only given temporary stay until such time that they are ready to return you home.

Actually he was granted a residency permit ie EEA permit. He was not granted refugee status.

Samyr

Post by Samyr » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:32 am

Hello Thandia,

Thank you for clearly explain to Parv....

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:40 pm

But granted residency only and not nationality. He was asking about travel documents. Residency permit is not a travel documents. You are still a Somalian, only Somalian embassy can give you passport.

Samyr

Post by Samyr » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:36 pm

Hello Parv...

I know its not a travel document thats why am asking which can i apply? For your info there is no Somali embassy in UK. Research b4 u give someone advice. Thank you.

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:00 pm

My first reply was you call the HO, besides I did not say there is a Somalian embassy in the UK.

peteruk
Newly Registered

Post by peteruk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi Samyr,
Can I ask you on what ground you were granted a residence card? Asylum? Human Right? legacy case? married to EEA?
The home office have doubts about your nationality. It doesn't mean that you are stateless unless there letter from Ukba recognise as stateless person. it is very rare .

Samyr

Post by Samyr » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:45 pm

Hello Peteruk,

Thank you for your concern. Granted on, married to eea national.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:21 pm

Samyr,
If you have been granted residence as an EEA family member, I doubt whether UKBA would issue a refugee Travel Document under the relevant Conventions, because you're not now staying here as a refugee.

However, you could be issued with a Certificate of Identity if you can show that your country of origin has refused to issue you with a passport, or you have no way of obtaining one.

There is a Somali Embassy in Paris, you can find their address and phone number on the internet. You could try writing or phoning to see whether they will issue a passport to you. If they won't, try and get this in writing so that you can then make an application to UKBA.

The Certificate of Identity may not be valid for travel to certain countries, so you need to be sure that you know all the options which are available to you. If you go on to the UKBA website and put into their search engine "Home office Travel Document" or "Certificate of Identity" you may get a clearer idea of what you can apply for.

Samyr

Post by Samyr » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:30 pm

Hello Mr. Rusty

Thank you. Found, its certificate of travel which was known as certificate if identity.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:57 pm

Just one final thought which occurred to me after my last post. Check out the laws of your spouse's european country in relation to acquiring nationality by marriage. Some countries are a lot more liberal in this respect than the UK. For example, I seem to remember that it's quite easy and quick to acquire Italian citizenship through marriage, certainly if resident in Italy, although I don't know what concession there is to people not living in Italy.