ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Not Getting Interview Calls.

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

becool
Newly Registered

Post by becool » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:17 pm

my skill set is : Java/J2EE, SQL
worked with Struts and hibernate.

I have 2.6 yrs experience..

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:21 pm

becool wrote:my skill set is : Java/J2EE, SQL
worked with Struts and hibernate.

I have 2.6 yrs experience..
Your expereince(no of years) should be worrying factor. Because, there will be more competion for junior roles .Spread your search across UK locations.

becool
Newly Registered

Post by becool » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:25 pm

one more thing.. i am here with my husband on a dependent visa.
I am thinking to apply for HSMP once i get a job here.

Is there any way to find jobs with out just sitting at home and waiting for calls?

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:32 pm

becool wrote:one more thing.. i am here with my husband on a dependent visa.
Ohh ! that will restrict your search, because, it may not possible you to attend interview for any location.
Is there any way to find jobs with out just sitting at home and waiting for calls?
Unfortunately, thats the only way.

subashcb
Newly Registered

Post by subashcb » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi,
I am planning to come November08, How the opening will be in November08 to January 09.

I am 5+ J2EE, Kindly update the current more wanted technologies .

IF its possible, kindly send sample CV format to my mail id
subashvasanth@gmail.com

Thanks
Bye.

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:49 pm

May be I do not understand the modern rules coming into play, still worth finding out rather being stupid - why do you need to get HSMP when you are already a dependent and free to work without any visa restrictions ?
becool wrote:one more thing.. i am here with my husband on a dependent visa.
I am thinking to apply for HSMP once i get a job here.

antouk

Post by antouk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:18 am

I am looking for work from past 2months..I am getting a minimum of 5 calls per day..

5 calls per day is gud, u may get it initially but it may slow down over a period of time. u'll get calls as long as recruiters finds ur profile on their search. so the trick is keep updating ur profile quite often in the jobsites(it may be a word/sentence update) so that u keep ur profile poppig up in the recruiters search, age old trick :wink:

How to know difference between genuine and fake?
dont even bother to identify a fake consultant. only thing u shud keep in mind is not to reveal anything abt ur job search to any recruiter. thats it. fake ones will get pissed off, and the genuine ones will never bother.

I just had one interview but i never got a feedback from them..
patience is atmost required in jobsearch, and u rquire that more in UK jobsearch :D
To me the market was behaving as if i am in a quantum cafe, ie., probability of the things occuring is equi-likely, andd it may not be the same for everyone. u may get weird response for ur interviews. for example, i was able to get an offer without an interview...another instance is, i got rejected after 7 rounds of interviews inspite of doing at my best.

I have just uploaded my cv to most of the jobportals and applying to the job adverts in them. Is there any thing that i can do?
Can any one please help me how to proceed?

u r proceeding in the right direction.
-HSMP(2008)->Tier 1(2009)->ILR(2013)->Naturalisation(2014)->OCI(2014)-

Serenaded
Newly Registered

Post by Serenaded » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:59 pm

How many months did it take for u to get a job.I know it varies , but thought to get a slight notion abt the waiting time.Thanks

antouk

Post by antouk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:35 pm

@Serenaded,
u r asking me?? it took almost 50 days to get my first offer, wait time varies, and the job i am sitting now took 65 days.

u shud be able to a get an offer in 2 to 2.5 months on a average, but again it all depends on ur skills aswell.

friefox

Post by friefox » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:43 pm

anyone into ASIC design here? I have just started to look out for a job (sitting in India ; havent resigned yet) How is the jobs market doing these days? I dont see as many open positions on monster as i used to see couple of months back ! what do you guys say?

universalCitizen
Newly Registered

Hi Everybody Can anybody advice me on this

Post by universalCitizen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:26 pm

Hi Everybody,

I am here on HSMP visa with 4 years experience and my skill-set includes C/C++, Linux/Unix, Wireless(UMTS) domain, Development profile. I am coming across profiles wherein they require work on RF optimization which is not done in India and I hvn't done work on that either. And other positions which I come across on job sites with skill-set C/C++ respond negatively saying that someone's profile matches more closely than yours. Can anyone please guide how to make it more matching? or How to get more calls? How to really get a job here? Am really confused? Earlier I started studying scripting languages coz I saw more opportunities on them, then there came an agency calling there's an opportunity on C#. When I start studying one thing, the next day someone else calls with some different skill-set. Now, what should I do. what exactly to study if at all to get a job? To tell you the truth, I have very good grasping power and I can learn things very fast? If you could please tell me which skill-set I should adopt for the time-being to secure a job atleast? Please guide, otherwise with negative responses, I am getting depressed here in this country.

antouk

Post by antouk » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:30 am

@universalCitizen,
profiles like urs had openings in UK, but not much now :(
I'd recommend u to move ur profile slightly to project urself as C++/Java guy/girl(sorry donno ur gender :D).
i see u in telecom, even i got calls for UMTS with c/c++. may be its the same consultant, not sure though. if u can PM me ur id, i can forward u the requirement.
Also keep urself focussed on Agile methodologies aswell, lots of compnaies use that here.

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:41 am

friefox wrote:anyone into ASIC design here? I have just started to look out for a job (sitting in India ; havent resigned yet) How is the jobs market doing these days? I dont see as many open positions on monster as i used to see couple of months back ! what do you guys say?
Have a look here: http://icresources.co.uk

universalCitizen
Newly Registered

Re:

Post by universalCitizen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:52 am

antouk wrote:@universalCitizen,
profiles like urs had openings in UK, but not much now :(
I'd recommend u to move ur profile slightly to project urself as C++/Java guy/girl(sorry donno ur gender :D).
i see u in telecom, even i got calls for UMTS with c/c++. may be its the same consultant, not sure though. if u can PM me ur id, i can forward u the requirement.
Also keep urself focussed on Agile methodologies aswell, lots of compnaies use that here.
Thanx for the response.
Besides, some agencies called me up and asked me if I had C/C++ over Linux and after that Device driver exp or embedded exp which obviously I don't have. Can you please also comment on this? If I would like to study something for DD or embedded which can be sufficient for interview, how and where should I find that. coz I know once put in real situation, I will be able to drive it, but only initial break is required whether it is embedded or DD it does not matter. Your advice on this would be very helpful.

universalCitizen
Newly Registered

Real or Fake

Post by universalCitizen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:59 am

Hi everyone,

After reading this topic/discussion, I came to realize the fact that something alike has happened to me. Thanks to this discussion, now onwards I will avoid their trap. I had been approached by a few agencies saying they have this opportunity that opportunity, can I tell them which all companies have approached him so that they could forward to a different one. And after that I won't hear from them. That's phishing. That's why I always wondered what's wrong with me that I'm not getting calls, not getting interviews?
Thanks to the discussion, I'll be alert about it henceforth.

antouk

Post by antouk » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:00 pm

@universalCitizen,
tho i've written few, im really not aware of the DD market here. DD for windows is a closed box, but for linux u can find lots of resources in the net. go google.

MONISH
Newly Registered

not getting interview

Post by MONISH » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:59 am

Dear All,

request your help on Job in UK.

I am Lotus Notes Administrator having 8+ years of solid experience. I can see everyday in uk job site requirement for this skill, still i did not get even a single interview call.
I have valid HSMP Work Permit.
most of the times i get reponse saying that we could not shortlist your resume as we found better profile and your resume is updated in out database.

but even after that i can see new posting in job site for the same job.
Iam applying from india providing india address and phone number

request you to let me know what is the best way to get job in uk and how is the job market for lotus notes administrator

annu_1308
Newly Registered

Job openings in Software Testing??

Post by annu_1308 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:11 pm

Hi All,

Ppl who are already in UK ...are u guys aware of job openings in testing...I am planning to go for HSMP...need few tips on the latest technology in demand there...so tat i get well equipped before i land there...

Cheers,
Annu

Kaff
Member of Standing

Post by Kaff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:40 pm

MONISH:If you have exceptional skills then you stand a chance to find a job from your home country, if not then better come here first and then start searching.

Annu: Look for job sites (CWJobs, Reeds, Jobserve) and you will get a picture.
Hope this helps
Kaff

annu_1308
Newly Registered

Post by annu_1308 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:07 am

Thanks for the suggestion... bt need some specific info abt job openings in Software Testing,,,wats the scope of getting thru?? As i see most of testing work being outsourced to Asian countries...

sonivic
Newly Registered

Post by sonivic » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:45 am

Hi All,

I am planing to come to UK in Nov 08, I have experience in Symbian development, what to know how is the current maket for symbian developers?

Regards

jhp

Post by jhp » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:27 am

sonivic wrote:Hi All,

I am planing to come to UK in Nov 08, I have experience in Symbian development, what to know how is the current maket for symbian developers?

Regards
I dont know much about Symbian development but in general the UK job market slows down in Nov/Dec, it being christmas and all. So if you can afford to delay your departure you might want to come to the UK in Jan/Feb when the market usually picks up. However you can have a look at jobserve,cwjobs to have a gen idea of opportunities.