ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pre settlement scheme question regarding time spent in uk.

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Over it
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Pre settlement scheme question regarding time spent in uk.

Post by Over it » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:06 am

Hi. I’m a uk citizen my gf is a German citizen we have been living in Australia 2 years but want to move back to the uk, due to work commitments I have to stay in Australia until Xmas my gf goes back very soon.
We want to apply for the eu pre settlement scheme for her my question is how long does she have to have been in the uk, and does she need to be working. The “deal” date is next December which would be fine but the “no deal” date is 31st of October.
Can she just go mid October and apply straight away without having a job secured or a house, what exactly would they need proof wise for residency, I own a house there but it needs renovations which we were going to do together next year.
There’s no way she will be settled by October but she could go there and live with my parents until I return.

Any help would be massively appreciated. I had hoped on the 2020 date but no deal looks increasingly likely.

Cheers.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Pre settlement scheme question regarding time spent in uk.

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:22 am

Hello

I think regardless of the difficulties, she needs to make sure she is demonstrably in the UK before October 31st and exercising Treaty Rights.

If we go no deal as it seems more and more likely, any EU citizen who enters the UK after the Brexit would have no more rights as entering the US or Japan. It would be possible to visit visa free but everything else would be subject to immigration control.

If you guys are serious about moving to the UK, I would say it's "now or never" (as far as EEA routes are concerned)

She can come asap. Live with your parents. Get a provisional driving license. Open a bank account. Apply for a national insurance number and either start working or register as job seeker. That last bit about work is essential because this is what actually distinguishes between an EU tourist and a EU national exercising Treaty Right.

As long as all this is done before the Brexit, she will then have time to apply for the pre-settlement scheme. They are not going to drop that scheme just after Brexit but it won't be open to EEA nationals who come to the UK after the Brexit.

Over it
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Over it » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:33 am

Thanks for the quick reply. So all the other stuff is easy but how would she apply as a job seeker, would that be the same as applying for jsa but without the money?

Over it
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Over it » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:46 am

Sorry just add to that. As my first post says she wasn’t planning on working straight away as we will renovate the house, I have funds for 6 months then we were looking at starting a family, given that how would I prove she wants to stay indefinitely if she didn’t get a job. Would a au pair job with a family member count with pocket money?
Surely a lot of Eu citizens live in the uk who don’t work a proper job.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:49 am

Would a au pair job with a family member count with pocket money?
Au pair jobs are not one that is listed as qualifying for exercising treaty rights.
Surely a lot of Eu citizens live in the uk who don’t work a proper job.
Most would be qualified as self sufficient and would have comprehensive sickness insurance.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:03 pm

for PRE SETTLEMENT she don't need to show she is working in the UK. it's residency based application. she don't need to include her national insurance number but she need to show she is living in the UK

1 MONTH BANK STATEMENT
OR
1 MONTH GAS BILL/ TELEPHONE BILL / MOBILE PHONE BILL
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

Over it
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Over it » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Ok thanks for that.
So my final question would be, for how long would she need to be there to apply?
Say she goes next week opens a account gets a national insurance number, goes to the job centre and signs on then start applying for temp work, can we just apply after that week or so?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:48 pm

A national insurance number can take a few weeks and will likely require an appointment and interview with job centre/dwp.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Over it
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Over it » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:59 pm

askmeplz82 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:03 pm
for PRE SETTLEMENT she don't need to show she is working in the UK. it's residency based application. she don't need to include her national insurance number but she need to show she is living in the UK

1 MONTH BANK STATEMENT
OR
In the application does it give a option to state any circumstances? So I can explain she is moving there waiting for me to return. She won’t have any bills living with my parents, she will apply for ni number and hopefully be able to open a bank with that letter.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:05 pm

for peace of mind 1 month residency is recommended. Don't know anybody when send after 2 weeks living in the UK.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:09 pm

Over it wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:59 pm
askmeplz82 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:03 pm

1 MONTH BANK STATEMENT
OR
In the application does it give a option to state any circumstances? So I can explain she is moving there waiting for me to return. She won’t have any bills living with my parents, she will apply for ni number and hopefully be able to open a bank with that letter.

You can include a cover letter. you can upload 10 documents online .

Documents you cannot use as evidence

The documents you use should be from an official or impartial source.

You cannot use:

photos and videos
letters or references from family and friends
greeting cards, for example birthday cards
postcards sent or received
personal scrapbooks

more on here ...
evidence of UK residence

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:13 pm

Monzo

ReVolut

you can open Bank account without any proof of address. And they will send card by Post in few days. And then you can use that to open high street bank account. I don't know how how MONZO / REVOLUT Bank statement looks like because they are internet based

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:15 pm

When I moved to the UK, I rented a room in a shared house. So nothing was in my name really.

However, I ordered a BT landline and it was installed in my room. The landlord had no issue with that and usually they don't mind.

It's a little investment, but it gives you nice looking proof of address. Letters from the DVLA are good too that's why applying for a provisional license is good.

But she needs to show she is exercising Treaty Rights. If things go "no deal", it can get ugly and she would have to demonstrate that she was exercising Treaty Rights and not only visiting your family.

Over it
inactive
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Over it » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:44 pm

Thank you all for the help.