ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport cancelled passports questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

st pauli

Passport cancelled passports questions

Post by st pauli » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:40 pm

Can I ask a related question here, it's essentially the same problem but without dual nationality....

If you have already had all previous foreign passport marked 'cancelled' (and you will not be a dual national as that country doesn't allow it) then do you still need to send them to the British Passport Office with the application? Or is possible to simply include no foreign passports with the application, and then face no problems with name change except the standard ones that a British-born citizen does?

Thanks

st pauli

Re: Passport cancelled passports questions

Post by st pauli » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:09 pm

Ok, I found the guidance notes and looks like you do have to send in the foreign passports, cancelled or not. At least the one you entered the country.

So I guess my question becomes....does anyone know if this still causes trouble that the foreign passports are in a different name, even if they are stamped cancelled ?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:25 am

Only uncancelled passports must be sent plus the one you initially entered the UK. HMPO usually will not issue a passport if there are discrepancies between the names. However if you changed your name (so your current passport has the new name) and you got naturalized with the new name too, then HMPO will have no objection.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

st pauli

Post by st pauli » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:10 pm

Zimba wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:25 am
Only uncancelled passports must be sent plus the one you initially entered the UK. HMPO usually will not issue a passport if there are discrepancies between the names. However if you changed your name (so your current passport has the new name) and you got naturalized with the new name too, then HMPO will have no objection.
Belated thanks for the reply. Actually my wife entered the UK with her maiden name on her passport, and kept it all the way up to (and including) naturalization, assuming it would be easiest to change it after getting British citizenship. That was probably a mistake, based on what I'm reading now. So the foreign passport she has is now in her maiden name (it has now been stamped cancelled at our request, for whatever that's worth) and so is her British naturalization certificate.

Would it be any easier to get the first British passport in her maiden name, then ask to change later? Or would they still ask to see the original passport she entered the UK on, and make the discrepancy an issue again?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:23 am

Would it be any easier to get the first British passport in her maiden name, then ask to change later?
YES
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice