ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Shall I apply with spouse when I'm not yet eligible?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

raynory
Newly Registered

Shall I apply with spouse when I'm not yet eligible?

Post by raynory » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 am

Hi there,

My spouse is eligible for British citizenship. She is going to apply soon. On the application form, she has an option to add me as applicant so we might apply together. We've been living in the UK in the past 7 years.

However, if I apply solo, I'm not yet eligible. As I just got my ILR last month (Jul 2019).

My question is, is it a good idea to apply with my spouse this month? Any preciously successful case like this? My logic is, if her application is approved, then I'm married to a British Citizen, so I would be eligible too.

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Shall I apply with spouse when I'm not yet eligible?

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:59 am

You don't qualify and it will be refused.

You need ILR for 12 months if your are NOT married to a British spouse on the date YOU apply.

Once your spouse is British and has attended the ceremony, then you can apply. She is only British once she has attended the ceremony and NOT when the approval letter arrives.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

raynory
Newly Registered

Post by raynory » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:14 am

Thanks very much! This is a very good point. Much appreciated.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:26 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:59 am
You don't qualify and it will be refused.
And the fees won't be refunded if you are refused.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.