ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

keh723
United States of America

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by keh723 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:25 pm

Rabbit123 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:48 pm
keh723 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:44 pm
After seeing that most others had their passports in a very short time, I really expected an easy time of this part of the process. However, I submitted my application online July 22 and still nothing. It took over two weeks for my documents to show as having been received. Now it’s been in the queue for processing for over a week. I don’t mind waiting, if I expected to wait. But everyone else seems to get theirs in less than 2 weeks. My sister was made to start over and submit fully on paper now, no online for her. She submitted her application online about July 15, and just now starting over. What I thought would be easy has turned out to be our worst bit. Flying over end of September so hopefully I receive it by then!
So what is your sister doing now? Has she found someone else for reference?

Good luck, hope it all turns out well.
My sister emailed me the app form and her picture. I printed form and photos. Had to size them properly for UK passport and print, as the US shops all have the 2x2 template. Then I met with a mutual friend who lives here near me in GA. Sister is in PA. He signed all of it and I mailed it back to her. Now she has to send it to Durham.

jkproperties
United Kingdom

Post by jkproperties » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:33 pm

Hi,
No still not a thing, I am not sure about what should happen now, I have seen a few people get approval letter and some just get invited for ceremony.

I just hope my kids ILE ‘s go faster than this.
Rabbit123 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:50 pm
@jkproperties: no news yet?
You are 2 weeks ahead of me so I keep checking whether you have received anything in the meantime :wink:

Rowge
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Rowge » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:04 pm

An update - received an invitation to the ceremony today!

Eligibility Criteria: UKM (Romein)
Nationality: South Africa
Applying from: South Africa
Method of application: Online with documents sent via DHL
Payment method: Credit card
Date of application: Mar 24, 2019
Date funds withdrawn: Mar 24, 2019
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: Mar 24, 2019
Date documents sent: Mar 25, 2019
Date of receipt by UKVI: Mar 28, 2019 (DHL Confirmation)
Date of letter requesting bio-metrics: May 10, 2019 (5 Weeks from receipt)
Bio-metrics done: May 13, 2019
Date of approval: July 03, 2019
Notice documents ready for collection: July 07, 2019 (8 Weeks from biometrics)
Invitation for ceremony: Aug 29, 2019 (8 Weeks from approval)
Date of ceremony: Sep 25, 2019 (12 Weeks from approval)
Date applied for passport: PENDING
Date passports received: PENDING

Rabbit123
European Union

Post by Rabbit123 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:21 pm

keh723 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:25 pm

My sister emailed me the app form and her picture. I printed form and photos. Had to size them properly for UK passport and print, as the US shops all have the 2x2 template. Then I met with a mutual friend who lives here near me in GA. Sister is in PA. He signed all of it and I mailed it back to her. Now she has to send it to Durham.
Sounds as if you had some extra work - hope they’ll accept it this time.

Rabbit123
European Union

Post by Rabbit123 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:23 pm

jkproperties wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:33 pm
Hi,
No still not a thing, I am not sure about what should happen now, I have seen a few people get approval letter and some just get invited for ceremony.

I just hope my kids ILE ‘s go faster than this.
Rabbit123 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:50 pm
@jkproperties: no news yet?
You are 2 weeks ahead of me so I keep checking whether you have received anything in the meantime :wink:
I would DEFINITELY write an email on the day the 6 months are over. That’s what I am planning. I just don’t understand why it is taking so long. Especially seeing other people receive everything much quicker.
Honestly, I think we would still be waiting for the biometrics email if we hadn’t written them!

Rabbit123
European Union

Post by Rabbit123 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:26 pm

Rowge wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:04 pm

Congratulations! Were you able to choose the date of the ceremony yourself? Did they tell you where to go in the ceremony invitation or when you got the approval?

You applied only 1 week before I did and my application is soooo easy and straight forward. Seems I am just having bad luck. Oh well, let’s wait a few more months and it will all be over and hopefully I’ll be holding my British passport in my hands 😊😊

Rowge
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Rowge » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Rabbit123 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:26 pm
Rowge wrote:

Congratulations! Were you able to choose the date of the ceremony yourself? Did they tell you where to go in the ceremony invitation or when you got the approval?

You applied only 1 week before I did and my application is soooo easy and straight forward. Seems I am just having bad luck. Oh well, let’s wait a few more months and it will all be over and hopefully I’ll be holding my British passport in my hands 😊😊
Thank you! No the date of the ceremony is determined by the Consulate. It is stated that any change / alternative to that date must be applied for with the home office. Faced with rather flying around the country to accommodate the date than apply for any alternative! Good luck - hopefully it starts to come through soon.

Faircape
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Faircape » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:07 pm

I had lost hope with my application, but received an e-mail last week from Home Office courier service wanting to return my documents. I queried the status of my application which was indicated as successful, however there had not been a Biometrics enrolment , I have subsequently received and done my Biometrics enrolment but fortunately now have an e-mail contact with my Caseworker who has advised that a decision must still be taken pending verification of Biometrics.

Clearly the process is more convoluted than we as laypersons understand.
Nevertheless I remain cautiously optimistic

Eligibility criteria: UKM Double Descent (Romein)
Nationality: South African
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 02 May 2019
Payment method: Credit card ( 06 May 2019)
Date of acknowledgement : 07 May 2019
Documents sent by courier : 15 May 2019 (Apostille copies – not originals or vault copies)
Date of receipt by UKVI (DHL notified) : 17 May 2019
Email from Nationality Courier Service : 22 Aug 2019 (Premature as Biometrics verification not yet completed)
Date of biometric appt invitation : 23 Aug 2019 - also received query reply from case worker via e-mail.
Biometrics Enrolment done: 26 Aug 2019 (Emailed Case Worker)
Date of approval: PENDING
Date of Invitation to Ceremony : PENDING
Date of ceremony: PENDING
Date passport received: PENDING

jkproperties
United Kingdom

Post by jkproperties » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:33 pm

I applied the day before Rowge, and my docs were in the uk on the 25th, this does seem to be very random, and as you say if you didn't give me the email address I would still be waiting for Biometrics invite.

There are so many applicants even more than a month after my application that have already been sworn in and passports in hand.

I have sent emails last week, and get a reply something about applications get done in date order...

I just hope it gets sorted out shortly.
Rabbit123 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:26 pm
Rowge wrote:

Ballet
South Africa

Post by Ballet » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:16 am

Perhaps each case worker completes their load in date order but it seems that not all case workers are created equal. I think mine must have gone on annual leave as soon as as my documents were received.

I applied 10 days before @Rowge and everything else happened quite a long time after. I'm currently waiting for the ceremony invitation.

@jkproperties, you will probably get your invitation to the ceremony before you see the approval letter if the letter is being delivered by the SA Postal Service.

Waiting would be so much easier if there were definite timeframes that we could work with...
jkproperties wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:33 pm
I applied the day before Rowge, and my docs were in the uk on the 25th, this does seem to be very random, and as you say if you didn't give me the email address I would still be waiting for Biometrics invite.

There are so many applicants even more than a month after my application that have already been sworn in and passports in hand.

I have sent emails last week, and get a reply something about applications get done in date order...

jkproperties
United Kingdom

Post by jkproperties » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:57 pm

Is the approval letter sent by post?
Oh my soul, I expected an email.

Well what can we do, will have to just wait and see.

Hopefully your invite is getting sent as we speak.
Have a lekker weekend.
Ballet wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:16 am
Perhaps each case worker completes their load in date order but it seems that not all case workers are created equal. I think mine must have gone on annual leave as soon as as my documents were received.

I applied 10 days before @Rowge and everything else happened quite a long time after. I'm currently waiting for the ceremony invitation.

@jkproperties, you will probably get your invitation to the ceremony before you see the approval letter if the letter is being delivered by the SA Postal Service.

Waiting would be so much easier if there were definite timeframes that we could work with...
jkproperties wrote:

Faircape
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Faircape » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:23 pm

jkproperties wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:57 pm

Have a lekker weekend.
Ballet wrote:

jkproperties wrote:

Hi,
I received a positive reply to my Biometric-Enrolement this afternoon ( 4 days after the enrolement) , I was advised by my case worker as follows:-

You will receive a letter from your local consulate to arrange a ceremony date.

Now the long wait starts.

Good Luck

Rabbit123
European Union

Post by Rabbit123 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:42 pm

So the person who contacted you to let you know that your documents can be sent back, is in fact your case worker? And he emailed you before you received the official email request to enrol your biometrics?
Did I get that right?

That would mean that my application must be with a case worker now and I’ll get my decision depending on how efficient he/she works...
Faircape wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:07 pm
I had lost hope with my application, but received an e-mail last week from Home Office courier service wanting to return my documents. I queried the status of my application which was indicated as successful, however there had not been a Biometrics enrolment , I have subsequently received and done my Biometrics enrolment but fortunately now have an e-mail contact with my Caseworker who has advised that a decision must still be taken pending verification of Biometrics.

Clearly the process is more convoluted than we as laypersons understand.
Nevertheless I remain cautiously optimistic

Eligibility criteria: UKM Double Descent (Romein)
Nationality: South African
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 02 May 2019
Payment method: Credit card ( 06 May 2019)
Date of acknowledgement : 07 May 2019
Documents sent by courier : 15 May 2019 (Apostille copies – not originals or vault copies)
Date of receipt by UKVI (DHL notified) : 17 May 2019
Email from Nationality Courier Service : 22 Aug 2019 (Premature as Biometrics verification not yet completed)
Date of biometric appt invitation : 23 Aug 2019 - also received query reply from case worker via e-mail.
Biometrics Enrolment done: 26 Aug 2019 (Emailed Case Worker)
Date of approval: PENDING
Date of Invitation to Ceremony : PENDING
Date of ceremony: PENDING
Date passport received: PENDING

Rabbit123
European Union

Post by Rabbit123 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:45 pm

Oh my :shock: so you really have an approval. But have not yet received an official letter, right?
Congratulations!!

Is it standard to receive a positive reply or anything at all after biometrics enrolment? I didn’t get anything... :cry:
Faircape wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:23 pm
jkproperties wrote:

Have a lekker weekend.
Ballet wrote:

jkproperties wrote:

Hi,
I received a positive reply to my Biometric-Enrolement this afternoon ( 4 days after the enrolement) , I was advised by my case worker as follows:-

Good Luck

Rabbit123
European Union

Post by Rabbit123 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:55 pm

I fully agree. There are multiple case workers and each one of them sticks to the date the application arrived.
So you might be lucky and have s case worker eager to get his work done. Or you are not :lol:
Actually, you might even have a case worker working part time. Or someone who gets ill for some time.
We’ll never know. But waiting is sooooo hard :roll:
Ballet wrote:

jkproperties wrote:

Faircape
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Faircape » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:12 pm

Rabbit123 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:45 pm
Oh my :shock: so you really have an approval. But have not yet received an official letter, right?
Congratulations!!

Is it standard to receive a positive reply or anything at all after biometrics enrolment? I didn’t get anything... :cry:
Faircape wrote:
jkproperties wrote:

Have a lekker weekend.
Ballet wrote:

Hi,

Good Luck
Hi

a week ago (Thurs) I received an email from Nationality Courier Service <NationalityCourierService@homeoffice.gov.uk> enquiring how I wanted my documents returned, but I had not yet received my biometrics enrolment letter. (There was a technical glitch)

The very helpful person in this department lodged an enrolment enquiry with my caseworker )who promptly got things going, fortunately I had a person I could communicate with and he processed my biometrics very promptly (Biometrics were done first thing - I didn't make an appointment with TLS). Quite honestly I don't understand the process ?

jkproperties
United Kingdom

Post by jkproperties » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:55 pm

For Citizenship no appointment is needed.
Faircape wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:12 pm
Rabbit123 wrote:
Congratulations!!

Faircape wrote:
jkproperties wrote:

Have a lekker weekend.

Hi,

Good Luck
Hi

a week ago (Thurs) I received an email from Nationality Courier Service <NationalityCourierService@homeoffice.gov.uk> enquiring how I wanted my documents returned, but I had not yet received my biometrics enrolment letter. (There was a technical glitch)

The very helpful person in this department lodged an enrolment enquiry with my caseworker )who promptly got things going, fortunately I had a person I could communicate with and he processed my biometrics very promptly (Biometrics were done first thing - I didn't make an appointment with TLS). Quite honestly I don't understand the process ?

jkproperties
United Kingdom

Post by jkproperties » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:03 pm

So has your application been approved?
If so your process has gone quickly.

How do you know it's the case worker? does the email come from someone specific?

Faircape wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:12 pm
Rabbit123 wrote:
Congratulations!!

Faircape wrote:
jkproperties wrote:

Have a lekker weekend.

Hi,

Good Luck
Hi

priyankbhat
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by priyankbhat » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:55 pm

Hi,

I am currently residing in India. Looking for advice on applying for registration as British Citizen under section 4C via UKM route and British Nationality Act (1981). My Mother is British Citizen (4B) and is residing in UK for last 15 years now.

During year 2010, I had taken services from one of Advice center at UK for filing UKM route which was duly rejected by Home office. Ruling stated
“As such your client does not meet the requirement noted in paragraph 3 above.
The Secretary of State has therefore refused the application.
Your client’s only avenue to British Citizenship would be through naturalization upon completing the necessary residence requirements.”

Since I was not in position to appeal against the decision during 2010, I could not appeal. Recently I compared UKM GUIDE for 2010 and 2019, I strongly see some possibility hence I would like to start again and explore same route or obtain ILR to work in UK. I hope someone can further guide me based on below facts.
1) I am born on 19th April 1976 in India,
2) my Mother born during Jan, 1948 in Eldoret Africa at time of British colony and she was neutralized as “British Subject, Citizen of United Kingdom and Colonies”.
3) At time of her Birth her both parents who were born in India (Under British Rule) were neutralized as “British Subject, CUKC” in South Africa.
4) My Father was born in Feb 1939 during British Raj (British Colony)
5) My Grandparent (Father’s father) died prior to India Independence and was British Subject.
6) My Grandmother (Father’s mother) born during British Raj died around 1973.
7) During year 1960 my mother returned to India and completed her educations.
8) Year 1970 she got married to Indian boy and settled.
9) Between 1970-1990 her Mother and 3 Brothers travelled to UK and settled.
10) During year 2003 she renewed her expired British passport at British Embassy New Delhi India.
11) Year 2003 she was registered as British Citizen under Section 4B.
12) Until year 2004 she did not travel outside India and was not aware about her legal rights.

What is the right approach to get UKM and not get rejected again.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:13 am

priyankbhat wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:55 pm
You are not eligible for Form UKM because, at the time of your birth, your mother did not have Right of Abode. She acquired Right of Abode after your birth, in 2003, when she became a British citizen.

For Form UKM to work, your mother needs to have both CUKC and Right of Abode at the time of your birth. Page 4 of Guidance UKM states very clearly the requirements that need to be met at the time either of your birth or your mother's birth.
priyankbhat wrote:
"Your client’s only avenue to British Citizenship would be through naturalization upon completing the necessary residence requirements.”
This is still correct.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

priyankbhat
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by priyankbhat » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:23 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:13 am
priyankbhat wrote:
You are not eligible for Form UKM because, at the time of your birth, your mother did not have Right of Abode. She acquired Right of Abode after your birth, in 2003, when she became a British citizen.

For Form UKM to work, your mother needs to have both CUKC and Right of Abode at the time of your birth. Page 4 of Guidance UKM states very clearly the requirements that need to be met at the time either of your birth or your mother's birth.
priyankbhat wrote:
"Your client’s only avenue to British Citizenship would be through naturalization upon completing the necessary residence requirements.”
This is still correct.
Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply.
Note till 2003
  • my mother was not aware on change in British Immigration policy.
  • She was stateless as she did not took Indian nationality.

If this is not possible than what are the options I have to go to UK and work ?

Thanks
Priyank

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:35 am

Your mother was a British Overseas Citizen without Right of Abode at the time of your birth . Section 4B enabled BOCs who would otherwise be stateless, to acquire full British citizenship . That’s the basis by which your mother gained British citizen status in 2003. However it does not work retroactively, ie she wasn’t a British citizen (as opposed to a BOC) until 2003.

For the purposes of your application, UKM requires your mother to been CUKC with Right of Abode at the time of your birth. However this wasn’t the case.

Your only option as you’ve been advised is to gain a work visa and naturalize after you’ve met the conditions for residency and ILR.

jkproperties
United Kingdom

Post by jkproperties » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:35 pm

So I had an idea to see if I could get any info on my application today.
I sent an email to the department that works with document returns, I asked what the process was to arrange for a courier to collect my documents for me.

The response was very friendly,

My application is waiting to be allocated to a case worker...

My application has been there for more than 5 months, and it has not even been looked at...?
WOW.

Rabbit123
European Union

Post by Rabbit123 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Oh no :shock: really?

How disappointing :-( how can other (later) applications already be approved if yours hasn’t even been assigned to a case worker???
The whole process is so strange. I don’t get it...

Did you reply? I think I would... Just ask “can I assume my application will take longer than the estimated 6 months as the date of my application was xx”
And then just see how they react! Maybe something got messed up and they don’t realise your application has been with them for such a long time? Just trying to think positive, I am.

jkproperties wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:35 pm
I sent an email to the department that works with document returns, I asked what the process was to arrange for a courier to collect my documents for me.

My application has been there for more than 5 months, and it has not even been looked at...?
WOW.

jkproperties
United Kingdom

Post by jkproperties » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:12 pm

Yes, said I am pulling my hair out with stress, my friends have applied in May and have already attended their ceremonies, in my opinion my case is open and shut with British Born mother and grandparents.

Is there something wrong?

Fortunately a very friendly and helpful lady, and able to think for herself.

Said she would try and get someone from the correct department to have a look at my file.

So fingers crossed.
Rabbit123 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:32 pm
Oh no :shock: really?

How disappointing :-( how can other (later) applications already be approved if yours hasn’t even been assigned to a case worker???
The whole process is so strange. I don’t get it...

Did you reply? I think I would... Just ask “can I assume my application will take longer than the estimated 6 months as the date of my application was xx”
And then just see how they react! Maybe something got messed up and they don’t realise your application has been with them for such a long time? Just trying to think positive, I am.

jkproperties wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:35 pm

WOW.