ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Singaporean 14 year ILR - ID?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Kitty

Singaporean 14 year ILR - ID?

Post by Kitty » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:36 am

Does anyone have any experience of obtaining Singaporean identity records?

Summary is Singaporean who has been in the UK since 1974 - entered on a student visa but overstayer from 1977.

Arrested, detained ar Pentonville, and issued with deportation order some time in 1977/8/9 but absconded and now wishes to apply for ILR.

I don't know yet whether he has his original passport and visa or any other Singaporean ID. He was adopted in Singapore and all parents are now dead. Did Singapore national service before he came to the UK.

No NI number as he was told by his various employers that he "didn't need it because he was part time". So I expect we are unlikely to get confirmation of employment letters either.

Registered with a GP in 1985 and another one in 1995 who will confirm that he knows him.

NO bank account - I am trying to ascertain whether any other official correspondence addressed to him since he absconded.

I have teh contact details for the Singaporean High Commission, but does anyone know if a deportation order issued in the late 70s is likely to still be held? No joy as yet from IEB helpline except that they don't have records that ld on their computer system. National Archives suggests that Home Office aliens records from that time are subject to a destruction programme.

I can direct this guy to the Singaporean authorities as a first step but if anyone can help with old Home Office records or evidence for a 14-year applicaiton in these circumstances I would be really grateful :)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:45 am

I'd imagine the 14 year clock stopped the moment the person in question was liable for detention. Certainly the deportation order stopped it, and absconding really makes it impossible for this person to ever make the UK his home. Records existing or not he'd have to admit to it on the ILR application or lie.

I suggest you direct this guy to the nearest airport.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:47 am

Ah you're right.

Cheers.

fazsaf
Newly Registered

Re: Singaporean 14 year ILR - ID?

Post by fazsaf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Kitty wrote:Does anyone have any experience of obtaining Singaporean identity records?

Summary is Singaporean who has been in the UK since 1974 - entered on a student visa but overstayer from 1977.

Arrested, detained ar Pentonville, and issued with deportation order some time in 1977/8/9 but absconded and now wishes to apply for ILR.

I don't know yet whether he has his original passport and visa or any other Singaporean ID. He was adopted in Singapore and all parents are now dead. Did Singapore national service before he came to the UK.

No NI number as he was told by his various employers that he "didn't need it because he was part time". So I expect we are unlikely to get confirmation of employment letters either.

Registered with a GP in 1985 and another one in 1995 who will confirm that he knows him.

NO bank account - I am trying to ascertain whether any other official correspondence addressed to him since he absconded.

I have teh contact details for the Singaporean High Commission, but does anyone know if a deportation order issued in the late 70s is likely to still be held? No joy as yet from IEB helpline except that they don't have records that ld on their computer system. National Archives suggests that Home Office aliens records from that time are subject to a destruction programme.

I can direct this guy to the Singaporean authorities as a first step but if anyone can help with old Home Office records or evidence for a 14-year applicaiton in these circumstances I would be really grateful :)
Hi, this case is very tricky, proving somebody has been in the UK for all this time without much evidence. Have a look at the following court cases that would give you an idea of what courts are looking for and how they are applying the long residency rules.

http://www.ait.gov.uk/Public/Unreported/IA070552007.doc

http://www.ait.gov.uk/Public/Unreported ... 408-07.doc

http://www.ait.gov.uk/Public/Unreported/IA154462007.doc

Regards

Fez