ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will marriage to a US citizen affect an application for Permanent Residence or Settled Status?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

blondiey2k
Newly Registered

Will marriage to a US citizen affect an application for Permanent Residence or Settled Status?

Post by blondiey2k » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:48 am

I am an EU citizen and have lived and worked in the UK for 10 years. I intend to apply for either Permanent Residence or Settled Status, and then to naturalise as a British citizen. My preference is Permanent Residence because I understand that if I acquired PR more than 12 months ago, I could apply to naturalise immediately (rather than waiting 12 months after getting Settled Status if I go down that route).

My partner is based in the US and we would like to get married. However, I wondered whether marriage to a non-EU citizen would affect any of the above applications, and whether we should therefore wait to get married until I have residence and hopefully citizenship confirmed.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

kamoe
European Union

Re: Will marriage to a US citizen affect an application for Permanent Residence or Settled Status?

Post by kamoe » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:23 pm

blondiey2k wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:48 am
I wondered whether marriage to a non-EU citizen would affect any of the above applications
Provided an EU citizen proves their continuous residence in the UK for 5 years as a qualified person, they automatically acquire Permanent Residence, and are eligible for Settled Status. This is regardless of marital status, so regardless of marriage to a zombie, an alien, a dinosaur... or a non-EU citizen.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.