ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

maddeningbike
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by maddeningbike » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:44 am

Well, I received my FBR certificate today 🎉.

My application was received 31st August 2018 and I was added on 30th August 2019. I received an email on the 30th last week asking to confirm my address, but had no follow up after that so thought that there might be a problem. Thankfully everything was OK. Checked the tracking information and it was posted on the 3rd.

Passport application next. Good luck to everyone still waiting 🤞

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:14 pm

maddeningbike wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:44 am
Well, I received my FBR certificate today 🎉.

My application was received 31st August 2018 and I was added on 30th August 2019. I received an email on the 30th last week asking to confirm my address, but had no follow up after that so thought that there might be a problem. Thankfully everything was OK. Checked the tracking information and it was posted on the 3rd.

Passport application next. Good luck to everyone still waiting 🤞
Congratulations. Happy to hear that you got your certificate in your hands.

You waited basically the full year. That seems to be the norm right now. I have you down on the list as having applied on August 30th 2018. Was it actually the 31st?

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Laurie9434 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:08 am
rolevelyn wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:23 am
Laurie9434 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:14 am
Does anyone know if they do same day passports there? Like we do here in the United States. Since I’m going to be there, I was hoping to avoid the mailing, processing, etc.
Only if it is an emergency. Otherwise, the minimum for passport renewals is three days. But obviously, you won't be a renewal case. For first-time adult applicants:
"The average turnaround time if you apply via appointment is 20 working days. The average turnaround time if you apply through passport express is 15 working days".

You could make an appointment (you can only get it in Dublin) to get a Stamp 6 (Without Conditions) endorsement in your non-Irish passport. That's for dual-citizenship Irish.
Thank you so much for the information!! I appreciate it very much!

Laurie

Laurie:

As a US applicant, that doesn’t apply to you. You have to apply at your local consolute or embassy.

My application has been pending since july 5

Master Caution
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Master Caution » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:53 pm

Application via Irish Embassy in Berlin August 2018.

Acceptance/ received email on 28th November 2018.

9 months to the day (28th August) I called Dublin and was told that they couldn't help because my application was "held up" by the Embassy.

I emailed the Embassy a few days later and receive this snippet from their reply.

"Thank you for your email. Please be informed that your FBR application was submitted to the deciding officer.

Please be advised that the processing of Foreign Birth Registration applications was temporarily on hold while processes were overhauled centrally in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

We are pleased to inform you that the FBR overhaul process has been completed and we are working on FBRs again. Unfortunately, we are very much behind schedule and we do not expect the approval before December 2019."

Balbriggan say the Embassy are at fault, the Embassy say otherwise.

I will remain calm and wait yet somehow, I have the feeling that my paperwork was never forwarded until last week when my email was read.

I hope this was not the case.

MC

Wims
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Wims » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:23 pm

Article about the FBR process (and the delays) in the Guardian, provides some stats for the increase in applications post 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:20 am

Wims wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:23 pm
Article about the FBR process (and the delays) in the Guardian, provides some stats for the increase in applications post 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
Thanks for posting that article. I want to comment of a couple of points made by the people interviewed.

Mr. Gadson has not been waiting 2 years on the FBR section to approve his application. It took him a year to gather the certificates etc necessary to apply. He has, therefore, been waiting a year like quite a lot of other people on this board. Nothing particularly remarkable about his case. Yes, the FBR section are taking longer than the advised 6 months at the time he applied, but they are hardly responsible for his own lack of pace in assembling the supporting documentation. As for his passport application, I fail to see how 9 months will be required. My own took 2 months this spring. Brawn got his in under that time (UK applicant) using passport express. Nothing remotely approaching the 9 month mark for passport issuance has been reported on the board that I know of. Moreover, in many cases, one is expected to pay for a service before receiving it. Certainly, in terms of passports and citizenships, that is the way it works. It's really not much of a shocker. Not mentioned is the fact that if an FBR application fails then Ireland will refund the application fee. That is an unusually generous policy, which does not indicate a grasping nature on the part of the DFA.

I sympathize far more with Mr. Minogue. He is completely right to highlight that communication with the FBR department is far from easy and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Likewise, they have posted mixed / misleading messages on their site or given it out through their call operators. Significant improvements could and should be made in these areas.

Rob9
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Rob9 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:20 am

Hi Sulla,

Great job your doing, well done, only wish Balbriggan was nearly as efficient, then we may not have as many disgruntled applicants.

If you wish you can add me to your ever lengthening list of eagerly but not expecting any positive news soon applicants.

Application sent to Edinburgh by Royal Mail Special Delivery 11 Dec 2018.

E-Mail received from Ireland on the 21 Mar 2019 stating the usual "applications can take up to 6 months to process" crap.

After reading other posters comments it now looks likely to take an average 12 - 15 months from receipt in Ireland of applications, for the FBR Certificate to be issued and received, then God alone knows for receipt of an actual Irish Passport.

Keep up the Good Work it's appreciated.

Rob9

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:53 am

Rob9 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:20 am
Hi Sulla,

Great job your doing, well done, only wish Balbriggan was nearly as efficient, then we may not have as many disgruntled applicants.

If you wish you can add me to your ever lengthening list of eagerly but not expecting any positive news soon applicants.

Application sent to Edinburgh by Royal Mail Special Delivery 11 Dec 2018.

E-Mail received from Ireland on the 21 Mar 2019 stating the usual "applications can take up to 6 months to process" crap.

After reading other posters comments it now looks likely to take an average 12 - 15 months from receipt in Ireland of applications, for the FBR Certificate to be issued and received, then God alone knows for receipt of an actual Irish Passport.

Keep up the Good Work it's appreciated.

Rob9
Hi Rob,

I have added you in. Thanks for sharing your information. I would say around 12 months is the usual processing time for cases in the direct to Dublin stream at present. 6-9 months is out of date and should be amended on the DFA website. I hope for all concerned that the wait time does not reach 15 months.

ross12222999
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ross12222999 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi all,

Just got my email asking to confirm address! Full timeline so far:
  • Application sent 8 Oct 2018
  • Email saying application received 8 Mar 2019
  • Email asking for address clarification 9 Sep 2019
As an added complication, I've moving house in 3 weeks, so I've told them they better hurry up!

Ross

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:38 am

ross12222999 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:51 pm
Hi all,

Just got my email asking to confirm address! Full timeline so far:
  • Application sent 8 Oct 2018
  • Email saying application received 8 Mar 2019
  • Email asking for address clarification 9 Sep 2019
As an added complication, I've moving house in 3 weeks, so I've told them they better hurry up!

Ross
Hi Ross,

That is quite a quick turnaround time from the UK if counted from the date of confirmation email. I think it is probably better to go with the date of physical receipt of the application at the London embassy in this case. can you remember when your application was received there?

Pumps100
Scotland

Post by Pumps100 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 am

Pumps100 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:17 am
Hi I'm posting to record my current timeline to help others gauge where they are in the FBR process.

25/8/2018 - Applied online & sent documents to Embassy of Ireland in London.

29/8/2018 - Acknowledgement by email "up to six months to process".

Nothing further. No queries. Now 9 months. Have tried few times to expedite status by phone. Used the two available numbers. But always get the same recorded message (as if you are processing a passport application).

Will keep you posted.

Ian
I can confirm that I've had the email from Dfa asking me to confirm my address. So it would appear the process is nearing conclusion.

Including today - 377 days or 1 year 12 days since the received date of 29/8/18.

Regards

Ian

pissedoffbyinis
Pakistan

Post by pissedoffbyinis » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:02 pm

What i notice that everyone's case here is of an adult and applying for citizenship through a relationship with grand parents etc.
Is there a separate timeline or if someone has experience to get a citizenship for a new born from elsewhere in Europe.. how much time it took to get the citizenship for a new born outside ireland to a naturalised irish parent?

SonicBoom3
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by SonicBoom3 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:06 pm

I managed to collect my package from the post office today - so here is my timeline:

28th August 2018 - Application submitted
31st August 2018 - Email acknowledgement received
30th August 2019 - email requesting confirmation of address
9th September 2019 - FBR certificate received

The date of entry on the certificate is 30th August 2019. They kindly put a passport application in the returned package.

Hopefully things are getting better and the process will speed up for those waiting! :)

Donal

tomriddle2u
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by tomriddle2u » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:09 pm

[quote=ross12222999 post_id=1823554 time=1568040694 use

Cost is €153

Minor applicant whose parent is an Irish citizen through Naturalisation

Documents relating to the applicant (unless stated, originals must be submitted):

Completed, signed and witnessed application form (see list of witnesses at 1 above)
Original civil birth certificate (showing parental details)
Original civil marriage certificate (if applicable)
Other change of name document (if applicable)
Photocopy of current state-issued ID document (i.e. passport, drivers licence, national identity card) certified as a true copy of the original by application form witness
Letter from school, family doctor or other relevant source on headed paper which includes the minor’s address.
4 colour photographs (2 of which to be witnessed)
Documents relating to the Irish citizen parent (unless stated, originals must be submitted):

Application made by Irish citizen parent on behalf of a minor

Original civil birth certificate of Irish citizen parent (showing parental details)
Original civil marriage certificate of Irish citizen parent (if applicable) OR other change of name document (if applicable)
Original Irish Naturalisation Certificate
Photocopy of current state-issued ID document of Irish citizen parent (i.e. passport, drivers licence, national identity card) certified as a true copy of the original by application form witness
2 separate proofs of address for Irish citizen parent
4 colour photographs (2 of which to be witnessed) of Irish citizen parent

usczkat
Mood:
United States of America

Post by usczkat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:37 pm

Pumps100 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 am
Pumps100 wrote:
Hi I'm posting

I can confirm that I've had the email from Dfa asking me to confirm my address. So it would appear the process is nearing conclusion.

Including today - 377 days or 1 year 12 days since the received date of 29/8/18.

Regards

Ian
Good morning,

Congrats Ian!!!
I also recieved my email this morning asking for address confirmation!!!!
WE MADE IT!!!
Same time frame give or take 1 day...
Had to take a moment to double check that it was indeed my turn, honored, joyfilled, ecstatic!!!

Kathy

upliam
United States of America

Post by upliam » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:15 pm

usczkat wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:37 pm
Pumps100 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 am
Pumps100 wrote:
Hi I'm posting
Ian
Congrats Ian!!!
I also recieved my email this morning asking for address confirmation!!!!
WE MADE IT!!!
Kathy

CONGRATULATIONS to Ian & Kathy!!!

I also have received my email notification, so our long wait is coming to an end.

I wish some Irish Good Luck and a little Patience to all those still waiting. It's a long wait, but exciting to get to the end!

Liam

usczkat
Mood:
United States of America

Post by usczkat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:39 pm

[quote=Sulla post_id=1821558 time=1567605017 user_id=208412]
May 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Jacqui309 – received May 15th / Pending
Emma86 – received May 30th (Added to FBR November 20th 2018)

June 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Ben321 – received mid-June / Pending (coming soon)
Cindy – received June 14th / Pending
156Nathan – received June 16th (Added to FBR November 14th 2018)

July 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Brawn – received July 2nd (Added to FBR March 13th 2019)
Jpauls – received July 12th (Added to FBR November 13th 2018)
Nick1066 _ received July 18th online date (Added to FBR November 14th 2018)
BostonCeltics – received July 20th (Added to FBR November 15th 2018)
Stephen F – received July 20th 2018 (Added to FBR unknown / Certificate received January 10th 2019)
Samantha – received July 22nd / (Added to FBR July 2nd 2019) Thai Case
James_mcfc – received July 25th (Added to the FBR November 27th 2018)
Rbs3 – received July 27th (Added to FBR March 26th 2019)
Rdslight – received July 31st (Added to FBR – May 23rd / Certificate received June 3rd 2019)
Richard – received July 31st (added to FBR March 10th 2019)

August 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Oction – received August 1st (Added to FBR July 11th 2019)
Sean – received August 2nd (Added to FBR December 19th 2018)
Spav – received August 3rd (Added to FBR December 11th 2018)
Faith2611 – received August 3rd / (Awaiting Printing)
Amcbamcb – received August 8th (Added to FBR May 17th 2019)
Hol292 – received August 10th (Added to FBR July 5th 2019)
Sulla – received August 14th (Added to FBR November 28th 2018) Chinese Case
LeifRNR – received August 14th Added to FBR July 17th 2019)
Laurie – received August 15th / (Added to FBR August 1st 2019)
NYNJ – Received August 16th 2018 / Added to FBR August 15th 2019)
Valiant – Received August 16th 2018 / Pending
Michael – received August 21st / (Added to FBR June 7th 2019)
Donna – received August 21st / (Added to FBR June 7th 2019)
Upliam _ received August 22nd / Pending
USczKat – received August 23rd / Pending

Congrats email rcvd this morning!!
Kathy

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Hello,

I have a quick question regarding passport forms for Foreign births. I applied for my foreign birth certificate last December and would like to get the passport application fully filled out before I receive my foreign birth cert. Just so I can have a quick turn around time. On the passport guide it asks for another 4 photos to be taken, certified by proper person..ect. Basically a lot of the steps I already did for the Foreign Birth registration. Is it necessary to redo everything or does the FBR supersede these requirements?

Thanks,

Timeline:
Paid for online 12/20/2018:
Application received email 01/10/2019: Told to wait 6 months haha.

spiderplants
European Union

Post by spiderplants » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:22 pm

I've had an email as well 😁. I need to send some new info but I know why. I'm just happy at some progress.

Wims
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Wims » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:34 pm

kmosfet wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:12 pm
Hello,

I have a quick question regarding passport forms for Foreign births. I applied for my foreign birth certificate last December and would like to get the passport application fully filled out before I receive my foreign birth cert. Just so I can have a quick turn around time. On the passport guide it asks for another 4 photos to be taken, certified by proper person..ect. Basically a lot of the steps I already did for the Foreign Birth registration. Is it necessary to redo everything or does the FBR supersede these requirements?

Thanks,

Timeline:
It’s not a complete redo but you will need a new set of photos.

I would be careful doing too much in advance as from memory the witness signs and dates the back of the photos and the application needs to be made within 6 months of this date.

If there is a delay in your FBR certificate arriving (which could well be likely) you might find yourself up against it time wise (as you need to submit the certificate with your passport application)

I’d recommend having your witness lined up but don’t get them to sign anything just yet

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:42 am

kmosfet wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:12 pm
Hello,

Thanks,

Timeline:
You should follow Wims advice and have your witness standing by rather than get the passport application signed by him/her now.

You will need 4 photos of higher specification than for FBR. At least this was the case at the time I applied. For FBR there were no particular requirements then. Passport photo requirements were very exact.

You will need to prepare a new certified copy of your ID document. You will not get this back with the FBR certificate. i didn't at least.

Your address proofs and Birth certificate will come back with the FBR certificate. These can simply be used again - provided nothing has changed in terms of address.

Your witness should sign, date and stamp the reverse of two of the photos. If the stamp is too large for the back of the photo, a partial stamp is acceptable. The full stamp should be made in the appropriate section of the passport application form. Try to avoid the stamp covering the signature and date. Photos should be cut to size, but other people have not done this and encountered no issues.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:45 am

Congratulations to Ian, Kathy and Liam on their recent progress. I'm sure your certificates will be with you shortly. I know all of you have been waiting over a year and it has been very frustrating at times. At least now it is almost over.

When you actually receive the FBR certificates, please let us know what the actual dates of addition to the register were. Thanks.

Pumps100
Scotland

Post by Pumps100 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:02 am

Sulla wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:45 am
Congratulations to Ian, Kathy and Liam on their recent progress. I'm sure your certificates will be with you shortly. I know all of you have been waiting over a year and it has been very frustrating at times. At least now it is almost over.

When you actually receive the FBR certificates, please let us know what the actual dates of addition to the register were. Thanks.
Will do. And thank you so much for continuing to curate this for everyone. You don't have to do it - I'm sure all here appreciate your effort.

Thanks again

Ian

spike18
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by spike18 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Good Morning All,

I'm delighted to say that I received the Confirmation of Address email this morning.

My Application Received email was dated 20th September, so I am nine days short of a year. Once I am in receipt of my FBR Certificate I will confirm the date entered on it.

It looks to me as if the logjam is starting to clear, so hopefully there will soon be good news for other September applicants.

Spike

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:22 pm

Congrats to all who have been "put in the book" -hoping that they start processing faster but that's wishful thinking I'm guessing

jgclancy 2 months down and a long way to go!