ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Winning the Diversity lottery?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

plt22

Winning the Diversity lottery?

Post by plt22 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:15 pm

Hello, If I win the Diversity lottery and get a green card, how long I have to live in the US to become a citizen?

Thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:33 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

plt22

Post by plt22 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:40 am

Thank you.
Another question if I may. I've finished highschool (12 years of education) but I didn't got my GED, I can participate in the Diversity lottery or a GED is neccecery?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:47 pm

Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery Instructions[/url] > [url=http://travel.state.gov/pdf/2009DVInstructions.pdf]DV-2009 Lottery Instructions wrote:13. WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR EDUCATION OR WORK EXPERIENCE?

The law and regulations require that every entrant must have at least a high school education or its equivalent or, within the past five years, have two years of work experience in an occupation requiring at least two years training or experience. A "high school education or equivalent" is defined as successful completion of a twelve-year course of elementary and secondary education in the United States or successful completion in another country of a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to a high school education in the United States. Documentary proof of education or work experience must be presented to the consular officer at the time of the visa interview. To determine eligibility based on work experience, definitions from the Department of Labor’s O*Net OnLine database will be used.
Archives of the Mayor's Press Office wrote:Applicants must have a high school education (or its equivalent - not a GED) or two years of experience in an occupation requiring two years of training, with such experience being attained within the past five years.
Immigration: Diversity Visa Lottery wrote:It appears that a General Educational Development certificate (GED) or its foreign equivalent may not satisfy this requirement. See: American Immigration Lawyers Association. Practice Pointer, Immigration Nationality Law Handbook 2001-02 Edition, v. 1. p. 174.
See also DV-2009 Green Card Lottery
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

plt22

Post by plt22 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:42 pm

So I understand that I can participate in the DV lottery.
Thank you very much Vinny!