ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Disqualification from driving

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SarahCol
Newly Registered
Norway

Disqualification from driving

Post by SarahCol » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Hello,

I was about to apply for naturalisation but just received a driving disqualification from court. I know this has an affect. Some people say I need to wait till the ban ends then apply others say 3 years?

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Disqualification from driving

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:00 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

SarahCol
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by SarahCol » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:40 pm

From the date of conviction or from court date?

SarahCol
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by SarahCol » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:38 pm

Anyone?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:54 pm

SarahCol wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:38 pm
Anyone?
From date of conviction
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

SarahCol
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by SarahCol » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:42 pm

But on my records it only shows when the disqualification ends not the date of conviction, so how will home office know?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:20 pm

HO has access to all the records of the court case and your conviction including the conviction date. As other pointed out it is min 3 years from court conviction date. Remember that British citizenship has very specific character requirement which means your conviction still affects you even if it is considered spent under rehabilitation order unless 3 years have passed since conviction for non-custodial sentences :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

SarahCol
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by SarahCol » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:44 am

Thanks for your reply.

Incident date when it happend: 9/2018
Letter from court: 04/2019 (yes they took 6 months to issue a letter)
Disqualification from 06/2019-12/2019

In the application form which date should I write???

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:39 pm

The date of the letter which the date of your conviction/sentence. You should not apply until at least 04/2022 or you'll be refused.
An applicant will normally be refused if they have received:
• a custodial sentence of at least 4 years
• a custodial sentence of at least 12 months but less than 4 years unless a period of 15 years has passed since the end of the sentence
• a custodial sentence of less than 12 months unless a period of 10 years has passed since the end of the sentence
a non-custodial sentence or other out-of-court disposal that is recorded on their criminal record which occurred in the 3 years prior to the date of application
I suggest you to read the good character requirement guide: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf

These motoring offences are imprisonable and do appear on a criminal record:

Drink driving
Drug driving
Failing to provide a breath/blood/urine specimen
Failing to stop or report an accident
Dangerous driving
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

tahseen123
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by tahseen123 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:37 am

Hi everyone,
I have a similar situation. I thought it would be best to post here rather than create a new post.

I got disqualified from driving for driving without insurance and got 6 points on my licence and £320 fine from the court, so it was a criminal conviction. I know, silly mistake. Was due to apply for ILR same time which didn't go through because of the conviction and instead got a two year extension of visa.

Conviction date: 15/09/2015
ILR(received) date: 23/10/2017

I passed my licence straight after the conviction have been driving since without any issues. I was told to wait 5 years from the date of conviction by my lawyer at the time and apparently from the different posts on the forum it seems to be 3 years? Is that correct?

Am I ok to apply now for Naturalization now since 4 years have now elapsed from the conviction or should I wait another year?

Thanks in advance for the reply!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:41 am

As far as I know driving without insurance is not a recordable offence. Many were granted ILR

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:55 am

Zimba wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:41 am
As far as I know driving without insurance is not a recordable offence. Many were granted ILR
The poster is asking about citizenship not ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Correct but I simply wanted to point out that it should have not affected the ILR as claimed by OP

tahseen123
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by tahseen123 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:19 am

Hi Zimba and CR001

Thank you for your reply.
@ Zimba, it did affect my ILR as it was not approved. The letter from the HO mentioned about good character and I was given discretionary leave for two years (2 year visa with work right) with the intention of monitoring my character I suppose till I applied again for ILR. I had to wait a year to apply again for ILR again.

So anyone have an idea if I am ok to apply for Naturalization now that 4 years have passed from the conviction?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:03 am

Yes you should be ok since 3 years have passed