ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 form related queries and referees.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

curiousja
India

MN1 form related queries and referees.

Post by curiousja » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:32 am

Hello

I would like to thank all the members and moderators for their help, specially tier11417, aman90 and CR001 for their help in the preparation of my ILR application.

Now, as I got my ILR, I want to apply for my daughter’s naturalisation process.

She was born in the UK in Nov 2015, and currently on a Tier2 dependent visa (PBS Dependent) which is
valid until Jan 14, 2020.

I have some queries; I would greatly appreciate if you could help on the following.

1) I have to apply for my wife and other son’s ILR, I believe as my daughter was born in the UK, I can apply for her naturalisation directly, as I got my ILR (even though my wife has not got yet), correct?

2) I will be applying via online MN1 form?

3) TYPE OF VISA / APPLICATION: Apply for registration of a child under 18 as a British citizen, correct?

4) Personal information
(a) Email address- Can I put mine?
(b) And in “Who does this email belong to?”- I should say- Someone else?

5) Choose which category to apply under.
-- You are a You were born in the UK child under 18 and: One or both your parents are settled in the UK (Is it OK as I only got ILR and my wife has yet to apply for her ILR).

6) Have you had settlement in the UK?—I guess this is related to my daughter and not my ILR so I should say no, correct??

7) Country of nationality – I already put India, it asks again “Do you currently hold, or have you ever held, any No other nationality or citizenship?”—Does it mean dual nationality or I need to put India which I mentioned earlier or just say no??

8 Do you live in the United Kingdom or a British Yes overseas territory?—yes we live in the UK

9) Both the parents are from India, so “Are you relying on your parent's permanent No residence (either as an EEA National or the family member of an EEA National) as evidence of their settled status in the United Kingdom?”—shall we say No??

10) My child age is more than 3 years and she lived in 2 different cities in the UK, we need to give 2 references, is there any condition that referee should know her for 3 or more than 3 years?
The applications say- “Referees must:

• not be a relative, solicitor or agent of the applicant
• not be related to the other referee
• not be employed by the Home Office
• know or have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years
• they are willing to give full details of their knowledge of the applicant
• advise the Home Office of any reason why the applicant should not be registered

Referees must also not have been convicted of an imprisonable offence. A single non-custodial sentence may be disregarded if:
• it did not occur within the last 12 months
• there is strong evidence showing that the referee is of good character

Give your first referee's details. This referee must be the holder of a British Citizen passport (and either a professional person or over the age of 25)”

Here can I put my Friends details who know my daughter as well, can he be from any specific profession or can be from any profession ?

In the case of second referee, it says Give your second referee's details. This referee should be a person (of any nationality) who has professional standing. This can include a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body such as an accountant or solicitor (who is not representing you with this application).

I case of the second referee, as my daughter is more than 3 years old and lived in 2 different cities, she has not lived in any city for 3 or more than 3 years, is it necessary that both the referees should know her for more than 3 years??

Looking forward to hear from you,

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: MN1 form related queries and referees.

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:47 am

Now, as I got my ILR, I want to apply for my daughter’s naturalisation process.
Children are REGISTERED as British not naturalised, which is only for adults.
1) I have to apply for my wife and other son’s ILR, I believe as my daughter was born in the UK, I can apply for her naturalisation directly, as I got my ILR (even though my wife has not got yet), correct?
UK born children do NOT require ILR to register as British.
2) I will be applying via online MN1 form?
Yes.
3) TYPE OF VISA / APPLICATION: Apply for registration of a child under 18 as a British citizen, correct?
Yes
4) Personal information
(a) Email address- Can I put mine?
(b) And in “Who does this email belong to?”- I should say- Someone else?
Yes.
5) Choose which category to apply under.
-- You are a You were born in the UK child under 18 and: One or both your parents are settled in the UK (Is it OK as I only got ILR and my wife has yet to apply for her ILR).
Yes.
6) Have you had settlement in the UK?—I guess this is related to my daughter and not my ILR so I should say no, correct??
Correct.
7) Country of nationality – I already put India, it asks again “Do you currently hold, or have you ever held, any No other nationality or citizenship?”—Does it mean dual nationality or I need to put India which I mentioned earlier or just say no??
It is NO.
8 Do you live in the United Kingdom or a British Yes overseas territory?—yes we live in the UK
Correct.
9) Both the parents are from India, so “Are you relying on your parent's permanent No residence (either as an EEA National or the family member of an EEA National) as evidence of their settled status in the United Kingdom?”—shall we say No??
Correct.
10) My child age is more than 3 years and she lived in 2 different cities in the UK, we need to give 2 references, is there any condition that referee should know her for 3 or more than 3 years?
The applications say- “Referees must:

• know or have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years
• advise the Home Office of any reason why the applicant should not be registered

Referees must also not have been convicted of an imprisonable offence. A single non-custodial sentence may be disregarded if:

Give your first referee's details. This referee must be the holder of a British Citizen passport (and either a professional person or over the age of 25)”

Here can I put my Friends details who know my daughter as well, can he be from any specific profession or can be from any profession ?
Yes, friend is fine but must be a profession on the list, the link is below.
In the case of second referee, it says Give your second referee's details. This referee should be a person (of any nationality) who has professional standing. This can include a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body such as an accountant or solicitor (who is not representing you with this application).

I case of the second referee, as my daughter is more than 3 years old and lived in 2 different cities, she has not lived in any city for 3 or more than 3 years, is it necessary that both the referees should know her for more than 3 years??
Must be a professional engage with the child, like a teacher or health visitor or someone on the professional referee list in link below, page 24.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 1.0EXT.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:08 am

Many thanks for the prompt reply

Yes, friend is fine but must be a profession on the list, the link is below.

Does both the referee should know my daughter in a professional capacity or the first one can be a BC with age over 25

OR the person should be from the profession from the list??

Must be a professional engage with the child, like a teacher or health visitor or someone on the professional referee list in link below, page 24.

Does the first and/or second referee should know my daughter for three or more than three years??

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:19 am

You only need ONE professional referee, who can hold any nationality.

The other referee must be British and over 25.

Not necessarily know the child for 3 years, but obviously not only known the child for 1 week.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:32 am

Thanks again,

Please suggest can I use the first referee as a BC over 25 who is my friend and knows my daughter and can I use other (second) referee as a teacher (as she knows her in a professional capacity), as she knows her for about 9 months??

Please also suggest do I need their signature in the MN1 form along with details and also need a separate reference letter from them??

Moreover, do I need referees photograph or my daughters photograph in any form that the referee has to sign it?

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:35 am

Please suggest can I use the first referee as a BC over 25 who is my friend and knows my daughter and can I use other (second) referee as a teacher (as she knows her in a professional capacity), as she knows her for about 9 months??
Yes!
Please also suggest do I need their signature in the MN1 form along with details and also need a separate reference letter from them??
You have to complete the form online with their details and they have to sign it. You need to glue your daughters photo onto each referee form. Or use the link below.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf
Moreover, do I need referees photograph or my daughters photograph in any form that the referee has to sign it?
It is the applicants photos!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:58 am

Many thanks,

So they need to only sign the printed online form, or I need to ask them separate reference letter on letterhead (from a second referee, who knows professionally).

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:00 pm

So they need to only sign the printed online form,
Yes, one form for each referee.
or I need to ask them separate reference letter on letterhead (from a second referee, who knows professionally).
NO!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:05 pm

Please also suggest the form given in the above link is the same as generated by online MN1 application (after filling both the referee's details) and I have to do either of these? or referee has to sign both of them?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:30 pm

Its the same. You need either NOT both.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Thanks!

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Hello,

I was checking the form at one place it says- “Referees must:

know or have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years

Please suggest in case of second referee, will it be OK if the person knows her in a professional capacity for less than 3 years (e.g., 1 year or less than 1 year), as she is just more than 3 years old and lived in 2 different cities, looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:59 pm

It is fine. You are overthinking completely.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Thank you!

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:54 pm

Sorry for posting at the wrong place.

I was checking the requirements for British Passport, as I will be applying for my daughter's MN1 form soon and hope to get her registration certificate in few months’ time.

She was born in UK and I got my ILR recently. At the time of her birth, I was on Tier 2 General visa and my wife is on Tier 2 dependent (PBS dependent) visa, we still have to apply for my wife's ILR.

I checked online and the requirements for the British passport are as follows, please help me on the related supporting documents, mentioned with the points, and please correct if I'm missing any thing-

A) Is this application for the applicant’s first British passport?
Born before 01/01/83 – your birth/adoption certificate – Will submit my daughter’s Birth certificate as she was born in UK, correct?

Born on or after 01/01/83 – Your ‘full’ birth certificate or adoption certificate that shows your parent’s details (the ‘short’ version which is issued for free by the registrar is not acceptable). – Not Applicable?
If you have naturalised or registered as a British citizen – your certificate of naturalisation or registration and the passport that you used to come into the UK and any foreign passport you hold or are included on. A ‘full’ birth/adoption certificate that shows parents details for applicants under 16 or a court order granting parental responsibility (if any are in place). Applicants 16 and over don’t normally need to give us their birth/adoption certificate.—Not Applicable?

B) Evidence of applicant’s parents’ claim to British nationality at the time of applicant’s birth This could be: (Is this part is applicable, as at the time of her birth we were not naturalised or a British citizen? So to apply for her British passport do one of the parent’s has to be naturalised before??)

Parents’ British passport number (provided at section 4 of the application form) OR
Full birth certificate of parent(s)* OR
Certificate of registration or naturalisation
(Are above options are applicable??)

*If the applicant was born before 01/01/83 parent’s details are not required on the birth certificate. If making a claim through the father you will also need to provide a marriage certificate to the mother.
OR Evidence of applicants’ parent’s immigration status in the UK at the time of applicant’s birth (I believe this is OR to the point B).

This could be:
Parents’ passport at the time of applicant’s birth – Can submit our Indian passport

If fathers passport, the marriage certificate between applicant’s mother and father is needed.- can submit marriage certificate

Unique Application Number if parents were granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) under the EU Settlement Scheme (see section 8 on page 9)- Not applicable, as we are not from EU, no option for ILR here, so can we apply for her British passport even any of her parents are not naturalised, on the basis of either of the parent got ILR.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:01 am

Why are you concerning yourself with the British passport application now??

You need mn1 approval and certificate before you can apply for a passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:48 am

Thanks, I was wondering whether I can apply for my daughter’s passport (after getting registration certificate) before my naturalisation, i.e. with my ILR only, as in the passport application form I could n’t see the option for parent’s ILR. Your suggestions are always helpful and help us to plan the things.

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:58 am

curiousja wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:48 am
Thanks, I was wondering whether I can apply for my daughter’s passport (after getting registration certificate) before my naturalisation, i.e. with my ILR only, as in the passport application form I could n’t see the option for parent’s ILR. Your suggestions are always helpful and help us to plan the things.

Thanks!
Her passport is issued on the basis that she is registered as British on form MN1. It has nothing to do with your status.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:02 am

A) Is this application for the applicant’s first British passport?
Born before 01/01/83 – your birth/adoption certificate – Will submit my daughter’s Birth certificate as she was born in UK, correct?
This clearly says if born BEFORE 1st January 1983!!
Born on or after 01/01/83 – Your ‘full’ birth certificate or adoption certificate that shows your parent’s details (the ‘short’ version which is issued for free by the registrar is not acceptable). – Not Applicable?
Correct.
If you have naturalised or registered as a British citizen – your certificate of naturalisation or registration and the passport that you used to come into the UK and any foreign passport you hold or are included on. A ‘full’ birth/adoption certificate that shows parents details for applicants under 16 or a court order granting parental responsibility (if any are in place). Applicants 16 and over don’t normally need to give us their birth/adoption certificate.—Not Applicable?
THIS is the one relevant to her as she is applying to REGISTER as British!!
B) Evidence of applicant’s parents’ claim to British nationality at the time of applicant’s birth This could be: (Is this part is applicable, as at the time of her birth we were not naturalised or a British citizen? So to apply for her British passport do one of the parent’s has to be naturalised before??)
NOT relevant to your circumstances!
Parents’ British passport number (provided at section 4 of the application form) OR
Full birth certificate of parent(s)* OR
Certificate of registration or naturalisation
(Are above options are applicable??)
NOT relevant to your circumstances!
*If the applicant was born before 01/01/83 parent’s details are not required on the birth certificate. If making a claim through the father you will also need to provide a marriage certificate to the mother.
OR Evidence of applicants’ parent’s immigration status in the UK at the time of applicant’s birth (I believe this is OR to the point B).

This could be:
Parents’ passport at the time of applicant’s birth – Can submit our Indian passport

If fathers passport, the marriage certificate between applicant’s mother and father is needed.- can submit marriage certificate
This clearly says if born BEFORE 1st January 1983!!
Unique Application Number if parents were granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) under the EU Settlement Scheme (see section 8 on page 9)- Not applicable, as we are not from EU, no option for ILR here, so can we apply for her British passport even any of her parents are not naturalised, on the basis of either of the parent got ILR.
This also clearly states ILR under the EU SETTLEMENT SCHEME, which is NOT applicable to you!!

You are confusing many things. The same form is used for ALL applicants and you only tick and submit what is required for your SPECIFIC circumstance and not for every option.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:32 am

Many thanks for clarifying my doubts! I'm extremely grateful for your help!!!

Sorry, I misinterpreted some of them, I hope now I’m interpreting it correctly now-

Sorry in the above she was born in UK after this date so I guess I need to her full birth certificate, if born abroad then registration certificate is enough, correct?

Sorry, I misinterpreted as parent’s naturalisation, it is related to child’s registration. So child registration after MN1 and her Full Birth Certificate will be sufficient (as she is <16). Do we require to submit Indian passport as well, which she got after birth in UK?

Evidence of applicants’ parent’s immigration status in the UK at the time of applicant’s birth

Parents’ passport at the time of applicant’s birth – Submit parents Indian passport, correct?

If fathers passport, the marriage certificate between applicant’s mother and father is needed.-submit marriage certificate??

Thanks again for your help!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:35 am

Sorry in the above she was born in UK after this date so I guess I need to her full birth certificate, if born abroad then registration certificate is enough, correct?
You still need her birth certificate as the paragraph below, which applies in your case, clearly states.

Sorry, I misinterpreted as parent’s naturalisation, it is related to child’s registration. So child registration after MN1 and her Full Birth Certificate will be sufficient (as she is <16). Do we require to submit Indian passport as well, which she got after birth in UK?
Yes and yes you will have to submit her Indian passport.
Evidence of applicants’ parent’s immigration status in the UK at the time of applicant’s birth

Parents’ passport at the time of applicant’s birth – Submit parents Indian passport, correct?

If fathers passport, the marriage certificate between applicant’s mother and father is needed.-submit marriage certificate??
This is required only IF the child was born AFTER you got ILR, which would have made the child automatically British. It does not apply to you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:12 am

Many thanks!!!

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:21 am

Many thanks for clarifying it all the points!

Sorry, one more thing, for my other child (born in India) after ILR, and AN form (will be 16 at the time). He needs only naturalisation certificate, and Indian passport (used to come to UK) and does n’t require birth certificate (as was not born in UK).

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:22 am

curiousja wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:21 am
Many thanks for clarifying it all the points!

Sorry, one more thing, for my other child (born in India) after ILR, and AN form (will be 16 at the time). He needs only naturalisation certificate, and Indian passport (used to come to UK) and does n’t require birth certificate (as was not born in UK).

Thanks!
You would need to follow the checklist at the time. He also completes for MN1 REGISTRATION and NOT form AN. Form AN is ONLY for adults, 18 and older.

Can I make a suggestion, as you seem to be confusing yourself unnecessarily. Focus on the UK born childs MN1 for now as they qualify. When you are ready for the rest of the family, then post your questions. Focus on completing one step at a time instead of trying to get so much information about everything which will only confuse and overwhelm you more.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

curiousja
India

Post by curiousja » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:26 am

Thank you!