ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

removal, return as eu spouse, permanent residence, application for British Citizenship??

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Pablito
Member of Standing
Poland

removal, return as eu spouse, permanent residence, application for British Citizenship??

Post by Pablito » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Will a person who previously been removed from the UK and returned under EU rules as spouse of EU citizen, then obtained permanent residence card would be eligible to apply for British Citizenship? does the removal would affect the application? perhaps under good character consideration or otherwise?

For answers, thank you in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: removal, return as eu spouse, permanent residence, application for British Citizenship??

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:45 pm

It would affect the good character requirement if it is within 10 years since you returned under the EEA regs.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Pablito
Member of Standing
Poland

Re: removal, return as eu spouse, permanent residence, application for British Citizenship??

Post by Pablito » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:48 pm

Ok thanks, I was pretty sure I read something on the forum in the past that once you enter UK under EU rules the past record under British rules would be removed from the database? Maybe I got it wrong...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:49 pm

You got it wrong. There is no such "clean slate" aspect for British citizenship.

Immigration history is not removed from the database.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Pablito
Member of Standing
Poland

Post by Pablito » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Do you know any specific cases where similar situation led to refusal? or you just infer your view based on logical deduction?

no offence, just trying to make sure I should abandon efforts at this time.

thanks for answering anyways.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Many members have been refused for failing the good character for breaching immigration rules, especially if they had no legal status for a protracted period of time and was working illegally as well. Being deported and removed doesn't help either.

What is this person's full UK immigration history?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Pablito
Member of Standing
Poland

Post by Pablito » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:26 pm

She was a student here in the UK and drop out back in 2011, due to some problems with the College not accepting her to pay her fees in monthly instalments. Then we attempted to get married here and she got caught in 2012 prior to the ceremony. We went through a lengthy process of getting her residence document, but eventually returned here in 2013. She got her PR last year (December). To be honest I don't really mind so much if she waits until 2022, but it would be good to know if there are any chances to apply sooner.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:32 pm

No chance really if she was removed.

She will qualify on the 10th anniversary of the date she returned to the UK with legal status, is 2023.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:40 pm

I was this morning with my immigration solicitor. A very experienced guy and we were talking exactly about that topic.

If you were in breach of immigration law within the 10 years (illegal work, illegal presence, illegal entry, absconding... etc.) don't even try to apply for British Citizenship as it will be refused.

You need 10 years of clean immigration history before applying for British Citizenship.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:58 am

Pablito wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:48 pm
I was pretty sure I read something on the forum in the past that once you enter UK under EU rules the past record under British rules would be removed from the database?
It is not removed from the database.

EU law does not allow illegal residence to be taken into account if the formerly illegally resident non-EEA citizen is now the family member of an EEA citizen, for the purpose of residence and permanent residence under EU law.

However, citizenship is wholly under national law and the prior illegal residence can and will be taken into account for citizenship applications under UK law.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Pablito
Member of Standing
Poland

Post by Pablito » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:39 pm

This is unfortunately what I was suspecting to be the case, but I think this is very sad at the same time that people are treated this way. 10 years? It’s like they ever made it easy for people to come here in the first place. But thank you anyways for all info.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Pablito wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:39 pm
This is unfortunately what I was suspecting to be the case, but I think this is very sad at the same time that people are treated this way. 10 years? It’s like they ever made it easy for people to come here in the first place. But thank you anyways for all info.
My wife is in the same situation as she was illegal before we got married and applied for EEA. As result, she can't apply for citizenship at the moment.

It bothers me as it makes our travels together difficult (she needs a visa to go anywhere). However, I don't find it unfair. High standard of compliance with the law of the land has to be demonstrated before applying for citizenship. 10 years of full compliance is not too much asking.