ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Granted Settled Status but should have been Pre-Settled

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bertosino
Newly Registered
Italy

Granted Settled Status but should have been Pre-Settled

Post by bertosino » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:56 am

Hello,

I'm an Italian citizen and I moved to the UK in August 2014. In April 2019, I applied for pre-settled status once the application became free.

At one point, the application said I would be granted settled status, and I indicated that wasn't correct as I hadn't lived in the UK for 5 years at that point. I then submitted, fully expecting to get pre-settled status, but I was granted full settled status instead. I didn't want to rock the boat, so I just accepted it, especially since I have friends from other parts of the EU who've been here longer, own their homes, and only received pre-settled status. It could be because at the time of application I'd only had 3 employers and was on HMRC's database so maybe they used discretion to grant me settled status since I would be eligible in 4 months for it anyway, but that seems a bit hopeful.

I am now considering applying for a UK passport (who isn't, with Brexit being so unclear?) and so I'm unsure if I can apply in April 2020 or August 2020. The requirement is to have ILR/Settled Status for 12 months and also to have been living in the UK for 5 years at the time of application. Both of those will be met if I apply in April, but I'm unsure if that will cause an issue since I feel like I should not have been granted pre-settled status in April. I don't want them to review the records and say "Hold on! You shouldn't have been granted settled status in April 2019." And then to have my application refused and lose the hefty fee.

Normally, I would be fine with waiting, but my partner might be accepting a job abroad starting in September, so I'd rather get this sorted sooner than later.

Is anyone else in this scenario or do they know of others?

Thanks,
berto

NatCam
Georgia

Re: Granted Settled Status but should have been Pre-Settled

Post by NatCam » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:50 pm

Hi,
It was clearly a mistake on their part. I understand it is tempting but I would wait till August, because applying for citizenship is a serious matter, and the HO office will certainly be checking all your records.

ChiefChief
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by ChiefChief » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:54 pm

I hope you are not complaining

Enka2018
Slovakia

Post by Enka2018 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:26 am

I was also granted settled status 6 months earlier, but maybe they counted one full year that I completed 10 years ago. Or they possibly giving settled to those who will have completed 5 continous years by Dec 2020.