ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sticky situation, WP to Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tcr008
Newly Registered

Sticky situation, WP to Tier 1

Post by tcr008 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:14 am

Hi all

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation and am looking for advice.

I've been in the UK for the past two years on a Work Permit, which has been great, and sent in my tier 1 application at the end of May with my passport.

In the meantime I've lost my job, so therefore am not legally allowed to be in the country but I can't leave because the Home Office has my passport!

Has anyone been in a similar situation, or can any one impart some advice? I am thinking about faxing an urgent treatment request, but perhaps it's better to just let it ride? Any thoughts?

Thank you

A.

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:27 am

Perhaps this might help: http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/workin ... umstances/

Also NOT informing HO is a bit risky. Try and inform them as soon as possible, so that you stay clean. Also I think there is 28 days grace period for WP holders(after they lose their job) to remain in uk, though not sure about it.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:20 pm

I don't believe that you are present in UK illegally ... at least while your application is being considered by UKBA.
Extending your stay FAQ wrote:What is my immigration status while my application is being decided?
If you make an application before your authorised stay ends, your existing immigration status will continue until your application is decided, even if the decision is not made until after the end of your permitted stay. If your existing visa or other permission to stay here allows you to work, you can continue to do so until your case is decided.
If your application is approved, you'll be given leave to remain under Tier 1, so no problem there. If your application is refused for some reason, you will get 28 days to leave the country.

You can't work (unless another employer arranges a WP for you) but you can definitely stay in UK until you get a decision on your Tier 1 application.

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

tcr008
Newly Registered

Post by tcr008 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:06 pm

That's a great help, thank you.

I'm not working at the moment, but am itching to, so hopefully they'll get onto the next batch of Tier 1s soon!

Again, thanks for the help people.

Best wishes

A.

Boogie
Newly Registered

Post by Boogie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:34 pm

Hi,

I just found this post and I am in a very similar position.

Did you fax an urgent treatment form through?

Am I safe as I was on a WP, but lost my job and now I have submitting a Tier 1 application.

I think my situation is a little different as I think my Tier 1 application was submitted _after_ I lost my job, but still within the 28 days.

Help please!
Boogie