ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Waiver about Immigration time restriction for naturalisation

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mahin1110

Waiver about Immigration time restriction for naturalisation

Post by mahin1110 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:29 pm

Hi!
My naturalization is due on 7th November, 2008 based on my ILR granted on 7th Nov., 2007. I am not the spouse of any British Citizen. Home office guideline says they apply discretion (upto 3 months) regarding waiving immigration time restriction at the start of the 1 year ILR period if :

1. "the period of limited leave was between 10 and 90 days at the beginning of the 12 month period, if other statutory requirements, including the other residence requirements, are met and the applicant has demonstrated established links through the presence here of home, family and a substantial part of estate"

Can someone help me explaining:

1. what is it mean by established home ? (I did not buy any home yet)
2. How often they apply the discretion?

Did anybody experience similar situation?

Many thanks

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Going by the dates you mentioned it's only a couple of months to go before you can apply for naturalisation.
Any particular reason why you want to apply earlier than the stipulated period thus remaining at descretion of UKBA?

mahin1110

Post by mahin1110 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:54 pm

I will be going abroad for about 6 months. If I don't get citizenship before that it will be difficult for me to complete the process e.g. attending the ceremony.

Many thanks

dnicky wrote:Going by the dates you mentioned it's only a couple of months to go before you can apply for naturalisation.
Any particular reason why you want to apply earlier than the stipulated period thus remaining at descretion of UKBA?

whirly

Post by whirly » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:11 pm

mahin1110 wrote:I will be going abroad for about 6 months. If I don't get citizenship before that it will be difficult for me to complete the process e.g. attending the ceremony.

Many thanks
Two thoughts:
1. Sorry to be a pessimist, but even if you manage to apply before November, you might still be waiting for an invitation to attend the ceremony when you go abroad. The HO waiting times are averaging around 6 months these days.
UKBA website waiting times for citizenship applications
Someone who applied in June 2008 should not expect to here [sic] from us before the end of December 2008.
When are you leaving?

2. Could you apply for citizenship abroad? I was under the impression that most British embassies offer the service. Maybe something to look into?

mahin1110

Post by mahin1110 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:09 pm

Thanks. I am not sure whether I can apply from abroad. Anybody got any previous experience regarding home secretary's discretion in this regard?

-----------------------------

whirly wrote:
mahin1110 wrote:I will be going abroad for about 6 months. If I don't get citizenship before that it will be difficult for me to complete the process e.g. attending the ceremony.

Many thanks
Two thoughts:
1. Sorry to be a pessimist, but even if you manage to apply before November, you might still be waiting for an invitation to attend the ceremony when you go abroad. The HO waiting times are averaging around 6 months these days.
UKBA website waiting times for citizenship applications
Someone who applied in June 2008 should not expect to here [sic] from us before the end of December 2008.
When are you leaving?

2. Could you apply for citizenship abroad? I was under the impression that most British embassies offer the service. Maybe something to look into?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:20 pm

mahin1110 wrote:Thanks. I am not sure whether I can apply from abroad. Anybody got any previous experience regarding home secretary's discretion in this regard?
See also Chapter 6: General Information > Chapter 6 (6.3.1.2).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

republique
BANNED

Re: Waiver about Immigration time restriction for naturalisa

Post by republique » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:26 pm

mahin1110 wrote:Hi!
My naturalization is due on 7th November, 2008 based on my ILR granted on 7th Nov., 2007. I am not the spouse of any British Citizen. Home office guideline says they apply discretion (upto 3 months) regarding waiving immigration time restriction at the start of the 1 year ILR period if :

1. "the period of limited leave was between 10 and 90 days at the beginning of the 12 month period, if other statutory requirements, including the other residence requirements, are met and the applicant has demonstrated established links through the presence here of home, family and a substantial part of estate"

Can someone help me explaining:

1. what is it mean by established home ? (I did not buy any home yet)
2. How often they apply the discretion?

Did anybody experience similar situation?

Many thanks
even though you are leaving for awhile, there is no reason why you can't apply and leave. However someone must be able to receive the letter should they require you to attend the ceremony within a certain amt of time.
My only question is that when you apply earlier, as long as you were in the country 5 years on the same date give or take 5 days and your absences total no more than 90 days once you reach the anniversary of your ILR, then all is well and you would have saved yourself 3 months. I'd do it, because they are getting backed up and are farther behind than before.