ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

JOIN IRISH SPOUSE- HOW LONG MARRIED?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

maddyh
Newly Registered
Australia

JOIN IRISH SPOUSE- HOW LONG MARRIED?

Post by maddyh » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:46 pm

Hi. I was wanting some advice on joining an Irish citizen as a spouse to reside in Ireland. Is there a period of time for which you must be married for? Or is how long you've been married irrelevant? I am a non-EEA or EU citizen (Australian- am currently on UK youth mobility visa). My partner is Irish and we are intending on marrying. Once my visa expires (which is still a while away yet), we'd really love to move together. We are very much in love and I would hate for us to be apart once my visa expires. I've looked on all the immigration sites and haven't found anything. Was just wondering if someone could give me a bit of insight? Was there a period of time in which you had to wait? Or could you apply for permission once you are married? Thanks!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: JOIN IRISH SPOUSE- HOW LONG MARRIED?

Post by littlerr » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:33 pm

There isn’t a set requirement. To be honest, I think they care more about how long you have lived together rather than how long you have held that marriage certificate.

Getting married for the purpose of immigration is never a good idea. In fact, it may look more suspicious to the immigration officer that it looks like a ‘marriage of convenience’. If you have lived together for 2 years, you can apply for a de-facto relationship visa.

maddyh
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by maddyh » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:18 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:33 pm
There isn’t a set requirement. To be honest, I think they care more about how long you have lived together rather than how long you have held that marriage certificate.

Getting married for the purpose of immigration is never a good idea. In fact, it may look more suspicious to the immigration officer that it looks like a ‘marriage of convenience’. If you have lived together for 2 years, you can apply for a de-facto relationship visa.
@littlerr

You must have misread my message. Our marriage certainly is not for the purpose of immigration or convenience. We're getting married as we're in love and have been together for a while. Once my UK visa runs out, we would like to relocate to Ireland. Considering we'll have only been married for a year, we were only wondering if that would be an issue.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:34 am

1 year shouldn’t be an issue at all.
Well if your spouse is an Irish National currently living in the UK, while not applying as the spouse of an EU National now in the UK, before UK leaves the EU? That is certainly easier, cheaper and quicker to apply, and give you more freedoms when moving back to Ireland (assuming that eventually a deal will be reached).

jlad

Post by jlad » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi,

I hope I can answer you with this.

I've just completed the registration for the first time in Dublin in Burgh Quay. Me being a non visa required national (malaysia) definitely made things easier. I'm married to irish national.

Entered Ireland last week and all I had to do was present our marriage certificate and both of our passports upon arrival at the border control. Fast forward to my appointment today this afternoon so we went about 15 mins earlier and got a number straight away.

Waited for the number and being called for to start the registration. Again officers didn't ask many questions, we then provided both of our passports, proof of address and marriage certificate and there was no fee because I'm spouse of irish citizen. Resident permit will be issued within 10 working days.

I've emailed INIS spouse of Irish national unit before arrival to Ireland and was being told that I will only get 1 year stamp on passport and is renewable after 1 year. But to our surprise, I was given 3 years. It is stamp 4 and that allows me to work without a work permit.

You're Australian and your process shouldn't be much different than mine. As irish system only differentiate between visa required or non Visa required nationals. And if you're in genuine relationship I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hope this helps.

Ash_g
Ireland

Post by Ash_g » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:24 pm

jlad wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:54 pm
Hi,

I hope I can answer you with this.

I've just completed the registration for the first time in Dublin in Burgh Quay. Me being a non visa required national (malaysia) definitely made things easier. I'm married to irish national.

Entered Ireland last week and all I had to do was present our marriage certificate and both of our passports upon arrival at the border control. Fast forward to my appointment today this afternoon so we went about 15 mins earlier and got a number straight away.

Waited for the number and being called for to start the registration. Again officers didn't ask many questions, we then provided both of our passports, proof of address and marriage certificate and there was no fee because I'm spouse of irish citizen. Resident permit will be issued within 10 working days.

I've emailed INIS spouse of Irish national unit before arrival to Ireland and was being told that I will only get 1 year stamp on passport and is renewable after 1 year. But to our surprise, I was given 3 years. It is stamp 4 and that allows me to work without a work permit.

You're Australian and your process shouldn't be much different than mine. As irish system only differentiate between visa required or non Visa required nationals. And if you're in genuine relationship I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hope this helps.

Hi jlad,

I'm in the same boat as you except it's now I've done the Application for my husband. He's visa required non eu and me Irish citizen. Just yesterday I posted his doc and application to the Irish embassy in south Africa as thats where they process mru national application. When did you apply for Ypus and how long it took.

Also I'll be going over to collect him and we'll travel together to Dublin, what documents should I have with me and any questions thr officers at passport control ask? We'll be transiting in Dubai, And I know they r quite strict? Also when you arrive, did it take long to get an appt with burgh quay, anything I should know I've only just started this process for him. A solicitor did his application and she told me the wait is 6-10 months. Thank u for all your help and sorry for all this questions

jlad

Post by jlad » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:25 pm

Hello,

In my case as I am non Visa required national it made things super straight forward. I did not have to do anything in advance as the process cannot start from outside ireland. So I pretty much just took my passport and fly to Ireland and start the process upon arrival. Seem strange but it's the irish system.

I never had any issues passing through airports etc for example Dubai as I do not need visa for pretty much whole of Europe and Asia. So I cannot share my experience as your other half is visa required national. I think the process might be slightly different.

Flown in Dublin airport and the flight was easy. Just checked in and nothing was asked as my passport isnt Visa required. The airline just treats me as a tourist.

On arrival to Dublin airport, head to non eu lane with my Irish spouse and declare our intention to move to Ireland to settle and officer asked for marriage certificate and had asked whether I've already done the appointment in Dublin and i said yes and he just smiled and did some key in on his computer and stamped me passport for 3 months standard entry for visitor and directed me to register in Burgh Quay. The whole process was maximum 3 minutes. The stamp on the passport however indicated that the purpose of being in Ireland is me joining irish spouse to reside. Officer didn't ask me more than 4 questions. Super straight forward and no hassle. Sorted within couple minutes.

The same goes to registration in Burgh Quay. Super straight forward. Number called and did the registration, photo and fingerprints being taken, pretty standard. It took us 2 hours to complete. Officer who registered us didn't ask anything either. Well he did ask simple questions like what did I do etc but he was more focus on keying our information into his computer and we did some small talk. Nothing too official more like a chat. Expected the passport to come back with 1 year stamp but when I collected it it was 3 years. Cant complain. Although I would advice you to get an appointment in advance as the appointments can be hard to come by.

So in my case the whole process for me is 1 week from entering Ireland till I get the permission to live and work in Ireland for 3 years. That is if you manage to get an appointment.

That's not fair how his application is going to take that long. Doesnt make sense.

Ash_g
Ireland

Post by Ash_g » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:02 am

Oh that's great then, no hassle for you.

What do u mean you told officer at dublin immigration you had appointment already? Did you start looking for one in burgh quay before you even arrive? Is that what you'd recommend me to do an soon as I get an approval? When the officer in burgh quay ask u what do you do, did you have a job already, so it means employers is ok to take you on with three month temp visa?

Ill make sure to have our marriage cert with us always. Thank you so much for all your help

jlad

Post by jlad » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:51 am

Hi,

One of the question upon arrival at the border control, the officer asked whether I have already had an appointment booked for burgh quay, because I already booked an appointment in advance before I even arrive into Ireland, so I said yes to then officer. He didn't ask anything else and just process our information and stamped. I would definitely advise you to book an appointment as soon as you know when you can. Usually you can only book an appointment in 10 weeks time. Nightmare. So you might need to plan in advance. Like I said I've got a stamped on entry on the basis of joining irish spouse to reside and it was valid for 3 months. That means I have got 3 months to find that appointment if I haven't already booked an appointment in advance. Bear in mind if you live outside county dublin you dont need to book an appointment with burgh quay, just your local garda station HQ. I just didn't want to wait that long so I booked mine in advance so I know after a week into Ireland I've got permission to live and work and pay taxes. I did not look for jobs before arrival because I knew I wasnt allowed to with my temp Visa. Temp visa is not for work until you have your stamp 4.

At the registration at Burgh quay, the officer was busy focusing on his computer and probably felt awkward so he was trying to make some small chat and just asked what do you do? I answered cant legally work in ireland yet so not doing anything at the minute which then he apologised and said he meant what did you used to do.

Once I have got my passport back I was also given a piece of paper highlighting my irish resident permit will be posted out to me within 10 working days and I shall start seeking employment based on the stamp.

And just for your information, the registration is free of charge for spouse of irish citizen.

Hope my information is of useful to you.

Ash_g
Ireland

Post by Ash_g » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:47 pm

Thank you so much, I will definitely start looking for an appointment as soon as I can his approval got visa. It's a good idea actually, And hopefully I'll find one. I'm currently living in Dublin so if I won't in the future before he arrives it's good to know I can go to the garda station for the stamp 4. You've been such a great help, I wish you all the best xx