ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

theonlyh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by theonlyh » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:23 am

Sulla wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:22 am
Congratulations to everyone who recently received certificates or address confirmations - on their birthday or otherwise. It does seem that progress is being made on the August / September applications and that many people are hearing good news. It's about time really. A full year has passed for most of these applicants. However, I'm wary of proclaiming that things are speeding up or turning around on the basis of people being informed of their success at or beyond the one year mark. This is still well beyond posted guidance for non-complex cases.

We need to see more non-complex, direct to Dublin applications being processed in times well under a year before I will feel confident that the corner has been turned.

Jacqui - Hang in there. Your case is really unfortunate. I'm sure everyone here wishes that you will hear something good soon.

Hi Sulla, I have had email confirmation today 26/09/19 that my application has been approved and my certificate and original documents will be returned in the next two/three weeks. The embassy received my original application on 09/10/2018. I will update you again once I have the certificate in my hand.

Hope everyone else near me has some good news soon!

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:48 am

Michael123 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:16 am
My grandmother was born in Cork, Ire and my grandfather in Aberdeen. I am hoping for Scottish independence, I would love to have a Scottish passport too!! I hear there might be another referendum because of Brexit and most of the Scottish voted to stay in the EU, your thoughts?
A second Scottish 'IndyRef' is pretty much guaranteed after Brexit. It's an inevitable outcome, regardless of what your views are on Brexit. If Scotland has to come up with criteria for bestowing citizenship, this could dwarf Irish FBR as an issue for those of UK origin, given the history of migration between England and Scotland. In other words, this issue is both on-topic and potentially very important to people who would be interested in FBR.

Some advice for the moderators:

1. CR001: If you wish to present yourself as an impartial arbiter, try not to use exclamation marks.

2. mattskilondon: You aren't one.

emlyn
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by emlyn » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:58 am

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:48 am
Michael123 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:16 am
I am hoping for Scottish independence, I would love to have a Scottish passport too!! I hear there might be another referendum because of Brexit and most of the Scottish voted to stay in the EU, your thoughts?
A second Scottish 'IndyRef' is pretty much guaranteed after Brexit. It's an inevitable outcome, regardless of what your views are on Brexit. If Scotland has to come up with criteria for bestowing citizenship, this could dwarf Irish FBR as an issue for those of UK origin, given the history of migration between England and Scotland. In other words, this issue is both on-topic and potentially very important to people who would be interested in FBR.
As it stands right now, FBR through Scotland isn't available. Arguably therefore it is not 'on topic' at all. If and when it ever becomes available, and I fully support Scottish people in self-determination as much as any other population, a dedicated thread can be set up.

The moderation of this thread, to keep it focused on Irish FBR, is completely valid. People come here for information regarding Irish FBR, not Scottish independence or Brexit political discussions.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:13 pm

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:48 am
1. CR001: If you wish to present yourself as an impartial arbiter, try not to use exclamation marks.

2. mattskilondon: You aren't one.
It is becoming increasingly annoying and irritating to everyone (not only me) how you persistently attempt to take this IRISH FBR thread 'off topic' and forcibly argue your points of view. If you wish to start debating as if you are a politician, then find another platform.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:35 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:13 pm
It is becoming increasingly annoying and irritating to everyone (not only me) how you persistently attempt to take this IRISH FBR thread 'off topic' and forcibly argue your points of view. If you wish to start debating as if you are a politician, then find another platform.
You're right - I am argumentative. How do you think you're doing as a moderator?

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:36 pm

All recent updates will be added in a few days. I will get to them, don't worry. I had to cut short my time in Malta and head back to the UK. My sister was just diagnosed with MS and I have gone back to spend some time with her and my family. This is why I have not been so active lately.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:06 pm

The Scottish government has a blueprint for citizenship through descent, which is essentially modeled on Irish FBR. There is a white paper on the issue available at the link below. Pages 271-273 are relevant and there is a helpful table on page 273 that sets out eligibility.

https://www2.gov.scot/resource/0043/00439021.pdf

To that extent, it is relevant to this thread. However, broader discussions of the merits of Scottish independence and Brexit are best kept out of this thread.

Michael

Having read so many of your posts, I'm sure your remarks were well meaning. I've done my best to provide information that can satisfy your curiosity on this issue. Brexit and Scottish Independence are highly contentious issues that divide families and communities in the UK. As CR001 has indicated, they are best avoided in threads where they are not the core topic.

tess53
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by tess53 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:40 pm

Long time lurker but this forum has kept me sane!

Delighted to post that my FBR certificate arrived this morning together with all my proof of eligibility documents. Date of entry was 18th September 2019. I was nurturing a small hope because I received the request for confirmation of address email on the 17th September 2019.
To summarise, my timeline is as follows :

FBR application posted 22/09/18
Acknowledgement of receipt 26/09/18

email request confirmation of address 17/09/19

Entry to FBR Register 18/09/19

Certificate received 26/09/19

A passport application was included, and I am fortunate to live in Liverpool so will be using the express service and sending my application off tomorrow.

I am so grateful to now officially be an Irish citizen! Thanks gramps!!!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:32 pm

Irish FBR is the core topic and the only topic for discussion, understandable. So in the future, I should expect not to see any Irish Passport discussion or other questions about naturalization.

Emma Williams
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by Emma Williams » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi - Found this thread last week and it has brought me to the realisation that it's unlikely I will have my Irish passport in my hand by end of June 2020 before I'm due to go on holiday and that I will have to renew my British one!

Both me and my cousin have applied to be placed onto the FBR. He applied in April of this year, and because I have no patience to wait for the certificates to come back, I bought copies and sent off my own application. Does anyone know if this could cause issues in Dublin (i.e two applications, two sets of certificates for the same grandparent)?.

Heres hoping the new DFA staff will be able to clear the backlog that seems to have built up!

Thanks!

FlyingMum
England

Post by FlyingMum » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:58 pm

At the risk of upsetting Michael123, I’ve got a sort of passport enquiry...

I hope I haven’t boo booed by being too efficient. As my son lives overseas and his address and post in that particular country can be unreliable, he’s applied using his home address in the U.K. and asked me to deal with the admin relating to his FBR, should he not be here.

When he completed and had his FBR witnessed, in order to be well organised, he also got his passport application completed and additional photos also signed by the same official - bar dating them - at the same time. This was, optimistically, so that should his certificate come back whilst he was away, I could just put the current date under the witness’s signature and send it off for him.

The set of photos are exactly the same for both FBR and passport. In anyone’s experience, are the Irish authorities likely to query or reject them? I can’t see why it should be a problem but you just don’t know.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:49 am

Emma Williams wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:34 pm
Both me and my cousin have applied to be placed onto the FBR. He applied in April of this year, and because I have no patience to wait for the certificates to come back, I bought copies and sent off my own application. Does anyone know if this could cause issues in Dublin (i.e two applications, two sets of certificates for the same grandparent)?.
Hi Emma,

There will be no issues caused by the situation that you describe. There have been several other cases where people have applied separately for FBR with the same ancestor and at the same time. Use of certified copies / originals for certificates is also not an issue as they are interchangeable.
You could have put together a combined application that used the same certificates, but that is just an option. What you have done is fine.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:06 am

FlyingMum wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:58 pm

When he completed and had his FBR witnessed, in order to be well organised, he also got his passport application completed and additional photos also signed by the same official - bar dating them - at the same time. This was, optimistically, so that should his certificate come back whilst he was away, I could just put the current date under the witness’s signature and send it off for him.

The set of photos are exactly the same for both FBR and passport. In anyone’s experience, are the Irish authorities likely to query or reject them? I can’t see why it should be a problem but you just don’t know.
Technically and legally what you propose with the witnessing (dating) of the application and the back of the photos is improper. However, I would not imagine it will be a problem at all. Just make sure you use the same color / type of pen to append the date. In addition, it is possible that the Irish passport office will contact the witness to verify his identity and that he/she knows your son. If that happens, I don't know if the witness will be asked to verify when the photos / application were dated. Therefore, it would be prudent to ensure the witness knows the score.

For the photos themselves, it all depends on the size and quality. Again, technically, the photos are supposed to be taken within the last 6 months. However, I doubt this is checked into. In my view, if the photos your son took for FBR also meet the passport photo guidelines then all should be well. When I applied for FBR, the only requirement stated was for 2 passport sized photos. For the passport photos though there were quite stringent specifications. Therefore, I hope the photos your son took for his FBR matched the passport office guidelines.

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:37 am

Michael123 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:32 pm
Irish FBR is the core topic and the only topic for discussion, understandable. So in the future, I should expect not to see any Irish Passport discussion or other questions about naturalization.

Hi Michael

The FBR is the core topic but it doesn't hurt if anyone on here mentions about the progress of their passport applications and also to ask for help . After all Sulla started this topic so if it's ok with him why should it be a problem it is related to the FBR in the sense it is the next step .

Regards

Lee

Cooter
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Cooter » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:18 pm

[quote=Sulla post_id=1819457 time=1567141480 user_id=208412]
[quote=Cooter post_id=1819147 time=1567080580 user_id=223611]
Sulla

Could I be added to list of waiting

Application Submitted to Edinburgh on 14th November 2018
Email confirming application received in Ireland 21st March 2019

***UPDATE ***

Today 29/09/2019 - Email asking to confirm address as FBR application will be approved soon

Looks like the journey is coming to an end

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:56 pm

Valiant24 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:09 am

Does anyone have a phone number or email address that they know to be patrolled please, so that I might enquire as to progress?

Thanks!
I just called the number on the website and got through to someone, Wednesday afternoons are a good time to call (thanks Lee) but I didn't wait too long even on other days. Always found them to be really helpful.
FlyingMum wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:58 pm

When I collected my certificate they wouldn't return my photo's because they were out of date. They do say that photo's should be no older than 6 months but obviously there is no date on them so there is no way to tell when they have been taken, the only thing I would query would be the handwriting perhaps being different when you add the date?

I still have to get my passport application signed, really struggling to find someone to do it so it will have to be notary.

Congratulations to everyone who has received certificates recently.

Meggabert2002
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Meggabert2002 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:09 pm

Hi

I’ve been following this thread and the previous one for a while although never registered, found the information helpful so thought I’d post an update.

I applied in August 2018, had a slight delay getting the application form witnessed but eventually sent it off in September. I had notification from the London office in January 2019 that it had been sent to Dublin for processing in December.

Received a phone call today, confirming they’d received a certificate I failed to include (oops!) and that the application was successful and that the certificate should be received within the next few days.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:17 pm

Lee2521 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:37 am
Michael123 wrote:

Hi Michael

The FBR is the core topic but it doesn't hurt if anyone on here mentions about the progress of their passport applications and also to ask for help . After all Sulla started this topic so if it's ok with him why should it be a problem it is related to the FBR in the sense it is the next step .

Regards

Lee
I didn't start the thread in any true sense. I merely continued it after the old one was locked. I don't have any special status here and no more say than anyone else.

I don't think we need to take this "core topic" issue too strictly. Matters connected to the core topic can of course be discussed. That naturally embraces passport applications of which FBR certificates are part. As for naturalisation queries, I have only ever seen a few and they usually come from people who are in the wrong thread. I don't see a problem with answering their question if possible while pointing them in the direction of another thread.

I don't personally object to discussion of the pros and cons of Scottish independence or Brexit. However, CR001 is perfectly right. If such topics were allowed to be discussed, then they would fill up the thread with comments that have nothing to do with FBR. In addition, there would definitely be clashes between members with different viewpoints and things would descend into acrimony. We saw it happen with Brexit once already (I stayed out of that one) in this thread. In the former thread, such exchanges (which I was involved in) led to it being locked.

If anyone wants to start a thread on Scottish independence (relevant to citizenship / migration) then I am sure the UK section of the forum could accommodate that.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:26 pm

Lee2521 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:37 am
Michael123 wrote:

Hi Michael

Regards

Lee
Nor did my simple question!

Sulla did NOT start this topic! This thread is a continuation of a locked thread that was locked due to people fighting, if I remember correctly.. one of those people was sulla!

jimdal86
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jimdal86 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi all,

I've been viewing this thread for a while to keep an eye on FBR progression. Spoke to DFA today to see where I am in the system, and they told me that the current turnaround for approval was 12 months from receiving my application in Dublin, so timeline as follows -

Application received (Dublin) - 07/12/2018
Email receipt of application - 21/02/2019
Anticipated approval date (according to DFA) - 07/12/2019

baby4daza
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by baby4daza » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi,

Sorry if I’m jumping the line, or this has been discussed before here...

I am in the process of applying for my two children to be put on the Irish FBR.
With regards to the documents required, I only have one original birth certificate for myself and one original birth certificate for my father. As I am applying for both of my children together, can I submit just one original birth certificate with both applications?

Thank you.

Lindsey_T
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Lindsey_T » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:33 pm

*UPDATE*

I posted back in June.

Brit in the Netherlands here. Posted my FBR application to the Irish Embassy here in the Netherlands early January this year. Called today to see if I can get an update. My application was approved last week! "Congratulations, you're now an Irish citizen! " the person said. I have up to a 5 week wait to receive the certificate and my documents back.

I have not once received an email or postal update or any communication whatsoever!

So, all in all, about 8 and a half months wait to be approved.

They did say they'd stopped processing them at the embassy, and that now all applications were just being forwarded on to Dublin. I think I may have got mine in before this happened as mine was approved at the embassy.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:39 pm

baby4daza wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:12 pm
...As I am applying for both of my children together, can I submit just one original birth certificate with both applications?
From the DFA's list of FAQs:
Can my sibling and I apply for Foreign Birth Registration jointly?

Yes, you can use the same set of papers and supporting documents for both applications. Just enclose the two separate application forms in one envelope and send it to us with a letter saying that some of the documents apply to both applications. This only applies if you are resident in the same country when applying.

Lindsey_T
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Lindsey_T » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:45 pm

Sulla wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:53 am
Lindsey_T wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:52 am
I phoned the embassy today; they confirmed that my application is being processed and that emails are not usually sent out until they are closer to the approval date. They are currently working on applications from October 2018. The certificates are then printed in Dublin and he cannot give a timeline for them, but, I should have it done by the end of the year!
Do you mean the embassy in the Netherlands is processing applications from October 2018 or the FBR section is?

If it is the FBR department then that does not correspond with what many people have been told recently, which is that they have moved on to the August applications. In addition, there are still many August applicants who have heard nothing thus far and nobody who applied in September has had a result yet either. Therefore, it seems a bit incredible that they have already begun processing October 2018 in Dublin.

FBR certificates are all printed in Dublin. Direct applications are stamped there by the DFA and returned. Applications through overseas missions are first returned to the embassy / consulate for stamping before being returned to applicants.

Hi Sulla

Sorry my reply is a few months late!! I did not realise you had responded.
I posted an update above, but mine has now been approved.

The Irish embassy in the Netherlands said that they have stopped processing FBR applications at the embassy and they are all being forwarded to Dublin. But, she said it depends on the date I sent mine in (whether or not it was in Dublin). My interpretation from this was that they WERE being processed at the embassy, but from a certain date (I do not know what) are now being sent to Dublin. This was how I understood it!

She put me through to someone else who told me that my application was approved last week, my documents are currently in the Hague at the embassy and last week they asked Dublin to print me a certificate. This gives me the impression my application was approved at the embassy and not Dublin? Maybe!

baby4daza
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by baby4daza » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:09 pm

BrexitEscapee, thanks so much for that info. I’ve been searching the entire internet, but obviously not in the one site I should have. Most appreciated.