ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eldest son (23) and temporary visa options

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

luckycat007
Newly Registered

Eldest son (23) and temporary visa options

Post by luckycat007 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:57 pm

Hoping to get some information about a situation that I'm in with my eldest son and citizenship.
  • My son, now 23 (24 in Jan), has been attending university in an L8 programme on a student visa.
  • Last year he decided the programme wasn't for him, and stopped attending.
  • He applied to Colaiste Dhulaigh (PLC L6 Programme), and thought that he would be able to use that to extend his student visa.
  • He was rejected at GNIB (they said that L7+ Programmes are eligible).
  • His current GNIB student visa stamp expires in 4 weeks.
  • GNIB advised him to apply to Long Term Residency - which we know will take months to obtain
  • He's living with me and will continue to be supported by us
I'm on a Stamp 4, and my partner and I, and our other two children, have applied for dual citizenship. He was unable to apply because of a gap in residency of several months (which is now in theory closed, so he can apply).

The question is this:

1. Are Level 6 programmes truly ineligible for a Student Visa?
2. While he's waiting for LTR, if it is even an option, how can he remain in the country in the interim? One choice is to enrol in a legit L7/L8 program but I don't know if that is in the cards. He can potentially apply for dual citizenship, but of course in the meantime he needs to remain legally in the State.

Cheers

Jon

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Eldest son (23) and temporary visa options

Post by littlerr » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:27 pm

It is not permissible for Students who come to Ireland on a Degree Programme course to enrol in a Non Degree or Language Course
Also you must have legal statuses at all time while awaiting the result of your LTR application. You can enrol in a different degree course that which is at least of level 7.

luckycat007
Newly Registered

Re: Eldest son (23) and temporary visa options

Post by luckycat007 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:11 pm

Thank you looking at l7 programs...