ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

entry to Isle of Man

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shIne
Newly Registered

entry to Isle of Man

Post by shIne » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi all,
it will be great if you could help me,
myself indian national on EEA family permit[Expired on 17th of july 08]
wife french exercising treaty rights in UK
applied for EEA residence card on march and got the COA.
i got a job offer now in Isle of Man and i dont know whether i will be allowed to enter Isle of Man without a passport with a COA.
If they allow which route is better [air or sea] if there are any difference.

pls let me know.

shine

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:24 pm

I could be wrong, but doesn't IOM come under the Common Travel Area of the British Isles (including Ireland)? I don't think there are any border controls on flights / ships arriving from Great Britain.

I'm not certain of this though. Wait 'til someone else comes on who can give you a definitive answer.

EDIT:

Travel to the Isle of Man is regulated by British law.[7] All travel to the island is from air and sea ports in either the UK or Ireland. Schedule 4 of the Immigration Act 1971 applies a reciprocal arrangement whereby foreign nationals legitimately present in the UK or a Crown dependencies do not legally require any leave to travel to any other part of the British Islands.

The Isle of Man, together with the Channel Islands, the UK, and the Republic of Ireland form a Common Travel Area, which means there are no immigration controls imposed on those travelling inside the area.

Section 7(1) of the Immigration Act 1988 grants the legal right to visit and reside in the Isle of Man to EU and EEA citizens. The Isle of Man is not permitted by EU law to discriminate between the citizens of the UK and other EU countries, and consequently any British or other European citizen is currently free to immigrate to the Island to live. However, the requirement for a work permit before taking up employment still applies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_re ... sle_of_Man

shIne
Newly Registered

Post by shIne » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:07 pm

Many Thanks Benifa,
i did a bit of research and found that there is no passport control between uk and isle of man, but i am not very sure about it,i expect someone who had such an experience would help me or the seniors in the board may give their opinion.

shine

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:01 pm

Have you looked at this page from the Isle of Man government concerning immigration to the Island? It looks at residence and work permits for foreign nationals. There is no passport control between the UK and the Isle of Man, but that does not mean that everyone who enters the Isle of Man from the UK is entitled to live and work there...

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:01 pm

shIne wrote:Many Thanks Benifa,
i did a bit of research and found that there is no passport control between uk and isle of man, but i am not very sure about it,i expect someone who had such an experience would help me or the seniors in the board may give their opinion.

shine
There's no passport control when travelling by boat - my family has been living on IOM for about 7 years now, and my wife and I married there.

shIne
Newly Registered

Post by shIne » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:09 pm

Thanks stmellon,
can you tell whether it is possible to apply for am Isle of man work permit with the letter of COA[passport is with home office].