ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Are my UK born children overstayers once I (father) have received ILR?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nickmpco

Are my UK born children overstayers once I (father) have received ILR?

Post by nickmpco » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:56 am

Hi,

I'm the father of 3 kids under 5, all of whom were born in the UK while I held my Tier 2 visa. Our visa's expire in a week, and I've just attended my biometrics appointment, paying for super priority. I was hoping to register them as citizens before the visa expires, however, I realise now that I wont receive my BRP for a couple of weeks (assuming ILR is granted).

So my questions are:
1) Do I need to provide my BRP to apply to register my children as British citizens? Or is my foreign passport enough?
2) If the answer to (1) is yes, then I won't be able to apply to register them as citizens in time. However, will they be considered over-stayers if I have ILR and they are not registered? In other words, are they automatically considered citizens now (although just lacking proof)?

Thanks,
Nick

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Are my UK born children overstayers once I (father) have received ILR?

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:02 am

1) Do I need to provide my BRP to apply to register my children as British citizens? Or is my foreign passport enough?
You need your BRP card as proof of your ILR status. Foreign passport is not sufficient.
2) If the answer to (1) is yes, then I won't be able to apply to register them as citizens in time. However, will they be considered over-stayers if I have ILR and they are not registered?
Note that regardless of how soon you get your BRP, their registration applications will still stake a couple/few months. There is no super priority service for citizenship applications. UK born children are ENTITLED to register as British once either parent is granted ILR and they do NOT require valid leave or ILR to register as British and if under 10 are not subject to the Good Character requirement.
In other words, are they automatically considered citizens now (although just lacking proof)?
No they are not. They are only British once their registration applications are approved and you have received their registration certificates.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nickmpco

Re: Are my UK born children overstayers once I (father) have received ILR?

Post by nickmpco » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:05 am

Thank you =)