ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish FBR Baby First Passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

passlots
Newly Registered
Ireland

Irish FBR Baby First Passport

Post by passlots » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:23 am

Hello,

I've been doing a lot of research on the topic of foreign birth registration and seem to have no luck on finding my specific situation.

I am an Irish citizen (via foreign birth registration, born in South Africa) currently living in the UK. We are currently pregnant with our first child and would like our child to have Irish citizenship, like their parents. After researching how to obtain Irish citizenship for the newborn, via the foreign birth registration process (the baby will be born in the UK), one of the documents that needs to be submitted is government ID (ie a passport from another nation, drivers license etc..). Obviously, as a newborn, the drivers license is not applicable! This leaves needing to produce a passport. After contacting the embassy, it seems like you have to be a citizen of another country in order to complete a FBR, which I can't wrap my head around.

I do realise that as an Irish citizen living in the UK, baby will be able to become a UK citizen, but other countries do not always offer these privileges. It seems the only path of baby becoming Irish, is to first become British and then complete the Irish FBR application, followed by the Irish passport application. It seems somewhat unpatriotic to force citizens to become another citizen first in order to complete the application.

Has anyone else encountered the above situation?

We appear to have no choice but to follow the British path first, and then we will be left with the decision of whether the Irish application is even worth the hassle thereafter, given current 1+ year processing times. We also want to be able to travel and take baby to see family during the first year and can't be left waiting 1+ years before visiting anyone.

Thank you for any help and I hope I'm not the only one that's encountered this situation before.

DanaMarie
Ireland

Re: Irish FBR Baby First Passport

Post by DanaMarie » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:30 pm

Post in this thread - ireland/foreign-birth-registration-t277641.html and you should get an answer fairly quickly.

passlots
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Irish FBR Baby First Passport

Post by passlots » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:13 pm

Thank you!! I have posted in that thread. Hopefully I will receive a response soon.