ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referee needs to know my children for 3 years?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nickmpco

A couple queries about MN1

Post by nickmpco » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:08 pm

Hi,

I've just received a positive settlement decision last week, and am now awaiting my BRP. I have three kids (all under 5), and I am now looking to register them as citizens using the online MN1 application. I have a few queries about this, and any advice would be much appreciated.

1) My children's leave in the UK expired 2 days ago, although it is my understanding that this will not prevent them from acquiring citizenship. However, the application form asks us to supply their BRPs. They are expired, should we still say they have them and hence provide them? Would this create an issue?

2) There is an option to add an additional applicant. I presume that this is so that all of my kids can apply at the same time, attend biometrics at the same time, and receive a decision at the same time? Or is the 'add additional application' meant for something else?

3) After I submit the applications, will the process be the same as my own settlement application where we are sent to UKVI's commercial partners to upload documents? Thereby never actually needing to go without the documents?

Sorry for so many questions, and thanks in advance!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: A couple queries about MN1

Post by zimba » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:54 am

1) My children's leave in the UK expired 2 days ago, although it is my understanding that this will not prevent them from acquiring citizenship. However, the application form asks us to supply their BRPs. They are expired, should we still say they have them and hence provide them? Would this create an issue?
No issues
2) There is an option to add an additional applicant. I presume that this is so that all of my kids can apply at the same time, attend biometrics at the same time, and receive a decision at the same time? Or is the 'add additional application' meant for something else?
Yes you can add all of them in one application
3) After I submit the applications, will the process be the same as my own settlement application where we are sent to UKVI's commercial partners to upload documents? Thereby never actually needing to go without the documents?
Yes
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

nickmpco

Referee needs to know my children for 3 years?

Post by nickmpco » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:23 am

Hi All,

I am looking for some clarification about who can be a referee. I have 3 children who I am registering as British citizens using the MN1 form (I've just settled). They are 16 month twins and a 4 year old.

Using the online application, it states that the referees must know the applicant for at least three years (obviously impossible for the twins). There is no reference to this three year rule anywhere else, and the guidance on referees in the MN1 guidelines have been removed. The paper application form makes no reference to this, nor does the referee statement that must be signed. I am inclined to go off of the referee statement, which was released for my application.

The only referee we could find who knows our children professionally (and who agreed to provide passport information) is a health visitor. We aren't sure if she has known my eldest for 3 years or not (I think not), but it was at least since my twins were born. We didn't think to ask her, because we didn't see that 3 year note anywhere else when doing our research. We have submitted the application, because we can't think of anyone else at the moment who knows my child professionally for 3 years and who we know will provide their personal information.

Is that 3 year rule applicable to young children? The information seems very inconsistent. Would an option be to submit an additional form from another person who knows my eldest for 3+ years (possibly not from someone with a professional relationship) alongside our other documents (explaining in a cover letter)?

Thanks so much.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Referee needs to know my children for 3 years?

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:33 am

nickmpco wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:23 am
Hi All,

I am looking for some clarification about who can be a referee. I have 3 children who I am registering as British citizens using the MN1 form (I've just settled). They are 16 month twins and a 4 year old.

Using the online application, it states that the referees must know the applicant for at least three years (obviously impossible for the twins). There is no reference to this three year rule anywhere else, and the guidance on referees in the MN1 guidelines have been removed. The paper application form makes no reference to this, nor does the referee statement that must be signed. I am inclined to go off of the referee statement, which was released for my application.

The only referee we could find who knows our children professionally (and who agreed to provide passport information) is a health visitor. We aren't sure if she has known my eldest for 3 years or not (I think not), but it was at least since my twins were born. We didn't think to ask her, because we didn't see that 3 year note anywhere else when doing our research. We have submitted the application, because we can't think of anyone else at the moment who knows my child professionally for 3 years and who we know will provide their personal information.

Is that 3 year rule applicable to young children? The information seems very inconsistent. Would an option be to submit an additional form from another person who knows my eldest for 3+ years (possibly not from someone with a professional relationship) alongside our other documents (explaining in a cover letter)?

Thanks so much.
HO is lenient with references for young kids. I do not think you will have any issues given your kids are very young.

Incase HO needs any more reference (unlikely), they will write to you.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

nickmpco

Re: Referee needs to know my children for 3 years?

Post by nickmpco » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:51 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:33 am
nickmpco wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:23 am
Hi All,

Thanks so much.
HO is lenient with references for young kids. I do not think you will have any issues given your kids are very young.

Incase HO needs any more reference (unlikely), they will write to you.
Thanks very much CULLINAN - you have been very helpful with all of my queries.