ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstayed but now wants to leave the U.K

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

musicality
Newly Registered

Overstayed but now wants to leave the U.K

Post by musicality » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:52 am

Hi all,
i have overstayed in the U.K by a number of years and would now like to leave the country, problem is i dont have my passport anymore nor do i have the airfare but i do have a travel certificate that is two years out of date.
I dont really have plans to come back into the country so it does not matter if i get deported. Does anybody have any idea how i could get the authorities to get me back to Nigeria which is my country. Thanks for any advice.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:38 am

Go to the Nigerian High Commission and apply for a passport. Ask them what arrangements can be made to get you a ticket back home. If a British citizen is stuck abroad in similar circumstances, the Consulate will either help you to get in touch with friends/relatives who can guarantee the fare, or you have to guarantee to pay it back when you get home. Maybe the Nigerians have a similar arrangement.

The alternative is to take your new passport along to your nearest Immigration Enforcement office, and declare that you are an overstayer. You will be served with papers as such, and the long-suffering British taxpayer will buy your ticket. That means that you won' be able to come back here for a very long time. It's quite probable that as you indicate that you are wanting to go home, they won't detain you, you could be allowed to report to the airport to catch your flight.

If you can't get to an immigration office, turn yourself in at a local police station. Then you'll have to spend a while in a cell.

But get your passport first. That way the process will be relatively quick and easy.

rockhall

Post by rockhall » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:04 pm

musicality,

This is what you can do, at least you will leave with some dignity. Find yourself a passport then go to the IOM, London office and tell them you would like to return home voluntarily http://www.iomlondon.org/ 08007832332 get the form, fill it in post it and you will be called for an appointment to ask what date you want to return.

Even though you have overstayed, want to go return and not interested in coming back, I do not think it's wise to turn yourself in to Police like some criminal. Take my stupid advice and it in touch with IOM, you will be able to leave with 2 pieces of luggage, its a simple process.
They fail to realise we are nothing in this world! we can disappear in a split second.

Wright
Newly Registered

Post by Wright » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:13 pm

I second Rockhall advice. Go to IOM and they will help you. Even if you have no document they will help to sort that out. Plus they give you up to 3 month to do whatever you want do to put all your affairs in order.

musicality
Newly Registered

Post by musicality » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:16 pm

Thank you very much guys. I will take the IOM route. I do wish i'd known about them sooner.
I hope my exit does not tax the British tax payer too much"excuse the pun" , anyway i did pay emergency tax on my income for years and also bought a pack of cigarettes daily for years so the taxman should not really be complaining. Thanks once again guys.

rockhall

Post by rockhall » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:54 pm

musicality,

Can you let us know if everything went well with IOM.
They fail to realise we are nothing in this world! we can disappear in a split second.