ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

change of spouse visa to student visa in ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bijukanayi
Newly Registered

change of spouse visa to student visa in ireland

Post by bijukanayi » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:42 pm

I am an Indian national residing in Ireland. I have come here in spouse visa. I wish to pursue MBA from Dublin.It is very expensive for me to go back to India and change the visa status from spouse visa to student visa. please guide me for changing my spouse visa to student visa. Hope you will help me regarding this matter.

robby1
BANNED

Post by robby1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:01 pm

dear indian,
you do not need any student visa to persue any kind of study , if you have spouse visa on the basis of married to irish or EEA national and you are exempt from most of the feeses..
regards jahan

bijukanayi
Newly Registered

Thank you

Post by bijukanayi » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:15 pm

[quote="robby1"]dear indian,
you do not need any student visa to persue any kind of study , if you have spouse visa on the basis of married to irish or EEA national and you are exempt from most of the feeses..
regards jahan[/quote]

Hi..Thank you for your reply.I have married an Indian national who is here in work permit.Its difficult to meet the family expenses as well as study expenses.It wil be beneficial if I can study and do some part time job over here.Is there any possibility for changing the visa status from Ireland itself.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:30 pm

robby1 wrote:dear indian,
ROFL!! :lol: :lol:

(apologies to OP, I've no advice to give, but robby1's post cracked me up. :P )

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: Thank you

Post by mktsoi » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:27 pm

bijukanayi wrote:
robby1 wrote:dear indian,
regards jahan
Hi..Thank you for your reply.I have married an Indian national who is here in work permit.Its difficult to meet the family expenses as well as study expenses.It wil be beneficial if I can study and do some part time job over here.Is there any possibility for changing the visa status from Ireland itself.
hi Indian

first of all, you dont have to change it to student visa if you want to study. all you have to do just pay the univ or college or whereever you want to study in ireland the full fees whcih apply to all the non eu students. i dont think the gnib or any irish gov depts would object to it since you willl not use public funds for edcuation.

second, i dont know have they change the rule or not but i think you can check with the university and gnib. dont just throw in the towel. they have this strange rule in ireland, they had the same rule in uk as well. i am not eu national myself. i went to study a postgrad diploma in dublin in 2002. for the non eu student. the fees was 9000 euro. i was on a work permit back in 2002. i was in britian before i came to ireland. before i started the course. the univ asked me if i have resided in any european union countries(inculding ireland) 3 years before i intend to start the course. in fact, i was in britian for 4 years before i came to ireland. the univ told me that i was exempted to pay the non eu fees, but since i am on a work permit and i am not suppose to use any public fund. i still have to pay the fees for the course which was around 3500 euro. if i am a eu citizen, i wouldnt have to pay that 3500 euro. so unless they have change the rule. if you r dependent of someone living in ireland and your spouse is paying taxes and you lived in ireland 3 years before you want to start the course. you shouldnt have to pay the non eu fees. so it is no need for you to change from spouse visa to student visa anyway. regardless about your visa status, i think the worst case you just have to pay high fees like the foreign student, but dont forget, if they have not change the old rule. you could end up save lots of money in tuition fees. unless money is not an issue for you.

because you spouse has been paying taxes in ireland so if you are on spouse visa, you would have different right compare to foreign student. just like i mentioned. the way they written the law was very strange but thats the way it is. for good example. i dont know do you know this or not. for an irish person to claim unemployment benefit from the government. that person has to be living in the country for 2 years, if they were abroad over certain amount of time, when they came back to ireland. they have a waiting period. for you and you spouse. if you spouse got fired or stop working(i am jsut saying as an example and i am not saying it will happen). your spouse can actually apply for unemployment benefits in ireland even tho he or she is not eu national. there are certain rights for non eu national that many people dont know.

ok, go check with the univ, dept of education and gnib and see what they say. if you found out the details, dont forget to share it in this forum coz i am sure many people are like you that on a dependent visa but wants to study. and dont forget, dont just believe what they told you over the phone, if it is law that you have to pay up, they always have that written down as law, dont believe what they told you until you see it on the paper!

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:34 pm

mktsoi wrote:hi Indian..
You have got to be kidding me? :lol:

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: change of spouse visa to student visa in ireland

Post by mktsoi » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:35 pm

bijukanayi wrote:I am an Indian national residing in Ireland. I have come here in spouse visa. I wish to pursue MBA from Dublin.It is very expensive for me to go back to India and change the visa status from spouse visa to student visa. please guide me for changing my spouse visa to student visa. Hope you will help me regarding this matter.
by the way, i forgot to mention in the last post. you dont have to go back to india to change your visa if you really want it. all you have to do is pay the money and get a letter from the univ. the gnib can change you stamp in 5 mins if they really wanted to. dont believe all those bullcrap that people been telling that you have to leave the country to do it.

read what i said to sort33

http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=28130

it is up to gnib to change you stamp or not!

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:37 pm

benifa wrote:
i am not kidding. i really paid the eu fees instead of the non eu fees.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:50 pm

mktsoi wrote:
benifa wrote:
lol.. I don't mean that.

I'm talking about the way that, firstly robby1, and (remarkably!) again you, addressed bijukanayi as "Hi Indian" / "Dear Indian" !!!

Am I the only one who thinks this is hilarious? :oops:

Please address me from now on as "Dear British". Oh, and ca.funke as "Dear German", yankeegirl as "Dear American" and archigabe as, you guessed it, "Dear Indian" - why not?! :lol:

ROFL.. I'm still chuckling. Apologies, OP - I've taken your thread off-topic again.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:58 pm

benifa wrote:
mktsoi wrote:
benifa wrote:
lol.. I don't mean that.

I'm talking about the way that, firstly robby1, and (remarkably!) again you, addressed bijukanayi as "Hi Indian" / "Dear Indian" !!!

Am I the only one who thinks this is hilarious? :oops:

Please address me from now on as "Dear British". Oh, and ca.funke as "Dear German", yankeegirl as "Dear American" and archigabe as, you guessed it, "Dear Indian" - why not?! :lol:

ROFL.. I'm still chuckling. Apologies, OP - I've taken your thread off-topic again.
DEAR MR or MS british,

that sounds better?;)

:P

knapps
Member of Standing

Post by knapps » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:14 pm

i dont understand ur question..you are with your spouse here is he national or she??? or you both are non eu??? how long is your visa valid for?? you can ask you college about that but I think you have to go back to india and apply for a student visa you can't get it changed here

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:59 am

knapps wrote:i dont understand ur question..you are with your spouse here is he national or she??? or you both are non eu??? how long is your visa valid for?? you can ask you college about that but I think you have to go back to india and apply for a student visa you can't get it changed here
anyone can change to anything inside ireland as long as the gnib wish to do it for ya

read this

http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=28130

bijukanayi
Newly Registered

Post by bijukanayi » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:01 pm

Dear friend,

Thank you so much for your informative reply.I have already send an enquiry letter to visa officer at immigration dept ireland.Let me see what they say.I will definitely post the matter if I get a positive spark..