ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing my name while waiting for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Omyousif
Sudan

Changing my name while waiting for citizenship

Post by Omyousif » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:21 pm

Hello everyone
I applied for citizenship on January 2019, it had been 9 months and no reply until now, I think because am a refugee.
So my question is can I change my name now after I submit my citizenship application? Or should I wait till the decision letter?.

I got all my documents with me like travel document and BRP because I used the new service Sopra and they just scanned them.
Thanks in advance
Last edited by Omyousif on Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Changing my name while waiting for citizenship

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:23 pm

You should wait to change your name until after you have your British passport. HMPO won't accept different names to what is in your foreign passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Omyousif
Sudan

Post by Omyousif » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Thank you very much for your quick response, I think if I can do the deed poll now and start change my name in GP, hospital, my bank and wait for homeoffice and HMPO till I got the approval.
Can I do that?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:39 pm

You should wait before you change your name until AFTER you are approved for citizenship and have your passport. Doing it now will only complicate everything and cause problems.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:46 pm

Omyousif wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:21 pm
Hello everyone
I applied for citizenship on January 2019, it had been 9 months and no reply until now, I think because am a refugee.
So my question is can I change my name now after I submit my citizenship application? Or should I wait till the decision letter?.

I got all my documents with me like travel document and BRP because I used the new service Sopra and they just scanned them.
Thanks in advance
You are at risk of putting yourself in a very messy situation.

Applying for the citizenship is one thing, getting a British passport is yet another thing.

You can end up with the British passport but no passport because your names / dates / papers are not consistent. This can lead of months if not years of delays of your passport application.

Omyousif
Sudan

Post by Omyousif » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:16 am

Then I have to wait.
Thank you for your advice.