ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

housing...

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

scorz
Newly Registered

housing...

Post by scorz » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:04 pm

Does anyone know if the workpermit holders are eligible to apply/register themselves for housing from the council/associations

or

Should they always look for renting from private landlords and/or estate agency.

I have been trying to find the information for some time now but haven't been able to find relevant information/rules anywhere. I've tried the Direct Gov website as well as the 'Office of the deputy Prime minister' website.

Anyone knowing anything... please let me know...

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:12 pm

Check your work permit, if the work permit says / Entry Clearance " no recurse to public funds" then you are not entitled....
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... ition.html

I understand WP holders are not allowed to have access to public funds, doing so you will jeopardize your chances of a ILR........
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

tvt

Post by tvt » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:42 pm

You can rent a council property provided that you don't get Housing benefit or Council Tax benefit from the council.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:46 am

tvt wrote:You can rent a council property provided that you don't get Housing benefit or Council Tax benefit from the council.
but if it is subsidised wont that be considered as using public funds

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:59 am

2.6. Housing and Homelessness assistance

Under provisions in Part 6 and 7 of the Housing Act 1996 and section 118 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999, persons subject to immigration control are not eligible for an allocation of housing or grant of a licence or tenancy by a local housing authority, or for housing assistance under the homelessness legislation, unless they fall within a class of persons prescribed (or specified) by the Secretary of State. Broadly speaking, regulations made under Part 6 and 7 of the 1996 Act prescribe that the following classes of persons are eligible for an allocation of housing by a local authority and for homelessness assistance:

people with indefinite leave to remain who are habitually resident in the Common Travel Area;
recognised refugees;
people with exceptional leave to enter or remain, who are habitually resident in the Common Travel Area and whose leave is not subject to any limitation or condition prohibiting recourse to public funds;
people who left Montserrat after 1 November 1995 because of the volcanic activity there;
people who are nationals of a state which has ratified either the European Social Charter or the European Convention on Social and Medical Assistance and are lawfully present in the UK.
Certain asylum seekers who claimed asylum prior to 3 April 2000 (and whose claim has not been determined) are eligible for housing assistance under the homelessness legislation (but not an allocation of housing).

The Persons Subject to Immigration Control (Housing Authority Accommodation and Homelessness) Order 2000 specifies that the following classes of person may be granted a non-secure tenancy or licence of housing accommodation by a local housing authority:

all the categories referred to above;
people attending a full time course at a specified education institution (where the accommodation is let to the institution for that purpose - and would otherwise be hard to let);
people attending a designated full time course at an educational establishment (where the accommodation is not let as a secure tenancy);
people owed a homelessness duty;
people owed a duty under the National Assistance Act 1948;
a child in need (or his or her parent);
asylum seekers owed a duty under the asylum support interim provisions;
people who are already a secure tenant of the housing authority.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

Times
Newly Registered

Good reply.

Post by Times » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:08 pm

Great info.

So basically a ILR holder can apply for a council house.
Can anyone provide any detailed information as to how one can pursue/claim a council house.

Thanks,

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:31 pm

Times, the stock answer to your question must be ... contact the Council!

Ability to get a Council House or Flat will vary considerably. In some parts of the country there are waiting lists years long. In other parts there are empty houses or flats just waiting for an applicant to move into. Guess what .... the empty council accommodation tends to be of low standard and in areas of mass unemployment. In other words, few would want to live there.
John

boylove
Newly Registered

Post by boylove » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:06 am

Stay away from council flats. Defeats the whole purpose of living here. You might as well go back and live in slums of Asia/Africa. :)

Times
Newly Registered

Not yet

Post by Times » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:29 pm

boylove,

Gng back to asia...thats where i come from.

Well, why should i after all i have paid taxes for 4 years and havn't being entitled for any benefits. I dont like one-way traffic!

I shall stay here till i wish and get all benefits i can.

Times