ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing household good in UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ambreen

Bringing household good in UK

Post by Ambreen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:07 pm

I searched this board and i didn't find anything about bringing household goods in UK on HSMP Visa

My 20 feet container is going to come soon which has all my household items, please provide me details about it.

Your guidence will be great help for me

gollywood
Member of Standing

Re: Bringing household good in UK

Post by gollywood » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:20 pm

Ambreen wrote:I searched this board and i didn't find anything about bringing household goods in UK on HSMP Visa

My 20 feet container is going to come soon which has all my household items, please provide me details about it.

What sort of visa does your container have?

Ambreen

Post by Ambreen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:22 pm

I didnt understand your question, the container can not have a visa
I am on HSMP and container is coming for me
please guide if you have details

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:34 am

Ambreen wrote:

I didnt understand your question, the container can not have a visa

My dear Ambreen, I'm sure that members of this site will be more than happy to give very good advise on subject's of immigration as this is a immigration site and not a shipping site!

Contact your shipper!

Thandia

Re: Bringing household good in UK

Post by Thandia » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:33 am

Ambreen wrote:I searched this board and i didn't find anything about bringing household goods in UK on HSMP Visa

Bringing your belongings and private motor vehicle to the UK from outside the EC

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort ... e=document

5.1 Can I get relief from duty and tax on transfer of residence?

Yes. You can bring in your belongings or vehicle free of duty and tax so long as you:

* are moving your normal home to the EC
* have had your normal home outside the EC for a continuous period of at least 12 months
* have possessed and used them for at least 6 months outside the EC before they are imported
* did not get them under a duty/tax free scheme (but see paragraph 5.2)
* declare them to us as explained in paragraph 3.2
* will keep them for your personal use and
* do not sell, lend, hire out or otherwise dispose of them in the EC within 12 months of importation, unless you notify us first and pay duty and VAT on disposal. Our National Advice Service can tell you how to do this.

Belongings include clothing, furniture, portable tools of trade, pets and other household and personal effects, but not alcoholic drinks or tobacco products: you will not get relief on those unless they travel in with you and qualify for the duty-free allowances - see paragraph 2.1.

We will normally waive the second and third conditions if you could not meet them due to circumstances beyond your control. Explain the position to our officer when you declare your belongings or vehicle.

Generally speaking, "possession" means "to have" rather than "to own", but there are particular restrictions in relation to company vehicles imported by travelling sales representatives. Our National Advice Service can give you full details.

See paragraph 5.5 if any of your belongings or vehicle were previously taken out of the EC.

Other goods and vehicles imported for commercial purposes will not qualify for this particular relief. However, if you are also transferring your business to the UK, you may be able to claim the alternative relief on imported capital goods. See our Notice 343 Importing capital goods free of duty and VAT.

Ambreen

Post by Ambreen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:51 pm

Dear Thandia,

Thanks a lot, the information was really helpful, you are great, once again thanks God Bless you

Thandia

Post by Thandia » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:43 am

Ambreen wrote:Dear Thandia,

Thanks a lot, the information was really helpful, you are great, once again thanks God Bless you
You're welcome ambreen.