ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is the process of a British citizen marriage with Indian citizen in India?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

siddharthpandey
Newly Registered

What is the process of a British citizen marriage with Indian citizen in India?

Post by siddharthpandey » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi, I recently got British citizenship via naturalisation route this year and I have already surrendered my Indian citizenship and I'd like to marry an Indian citizen in India.

From the lawyers in India, I got the info that they need No Objection Certificate (NOC) or Marriage Status Certificate from the UK govt./embassy.

I called the registrar office in Kent today and I was told that they can't provide me NOC. However, they can provide a "No trace marriage letter".

I'm not sure what's the correct way to get the paper-work to marry an Indian citizen in India.

Can anyone please help? Or tell me about a forum to get answers to this problem, thanks

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: What is the process of a British citizen marriage with Indian citizen in India?

Post by seagul » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:35 pm

The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

siddharthpandey
Newly Registered

Re: What is the process of a British citizen marriage with Indian citizen in India?

Post by siddharthpandey » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:24 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I had a look at this document and it means that I cannot get a NOC from the UK.

But do you know about the way to prove the current marital status in the UK to a court in India? :?: :!:

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:25 am

I think you should contact the Indian high commission in London who will definitely help/refer you to correct authority.

https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/index
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

smita0513
Newly Registered
India

Post by smita0513 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:19 am

Hi ,

I am facing the same problem.Please help me as well.
Registrar is asking for noc which uk does provide.i am getting married with british guy.
they send letter to embassy in delhi about guy is married or not and he is britsh or not.No one know about process.connected to so many lawyer but still not resolving.

beaver545
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by beaver545 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:06 am

The post above is from my fiancee, and we are indeed in the same situation as yourself (down to even being in Kent?!)

It might be useful to meet up and compare notes and help each other out. A question to the moderators, are we able to send each other private messages on the forum somehow as obviously do not want to have my personal details on the public forum?

To let you know where we are at:

We've been in contact with the UK high commission in Delhi who have reiterated that they do not provide NOC and to use the two letters as per the link in the previous post. They also stated that we should check with the local authority what the alternatives are and gave the suggestion to whether they would accept swearing an oath with a local lawyer, or, if in the UK, approach the General Register Office for a 'no trace letter'.

We've been in contact with the Indian embassy in London who have basically said that it's down to the local authorities in India to decide.

Currently, the local authority in India doesn't seem to have a clue and have sent a letter to the British embassy in Delhi asking for confirmation that I'm a British citizen and whether I'm single. I know the response will be generic stating that they will not issue NOC. At my wits end trying to get information from the local authorities regarding what alternatives they will accept (we've even shown them a news article about a note sent out to the Delhi district on how they handle such cases).

If you know of any more information that could help, then let us know!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:33 am

beaver545 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:06 am
It might be useful to meet up and compare notes and help each other out. A question to the moderators, are we able to send each other private messages on the forum somehow as obviously do not want to have my personal details on the public forum?
No you cannot as you do not have the privilege of PM function as newly registered member. You are also not permitted to post any form of personal contact information on the forum, it will be removed. Everyone on the forum is a complete stranger and we have many scammers and spammers who trawl the forum daily.

Please refrain from posting invitations to meet up etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

beaver545
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by beaver545 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:29 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:33 am
beaver545 wrote:
No you cannot as you do not have the privilege of PM function as newly registered member. You are also not permitted to post any form of personal contact information on the forum, it will be removed. Everyone on the forum is a complete stranger and we have many scammers and spammers who trawl the forum daily.

Many thanks for clarifying, out of interest, when will an active member lose their 'newly registered member' status?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:36 pm

beaver545 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:29 pm
CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:33 am
beaver545 wrote:

Many thanks for clarifying, out of interest, when will an active member lose their 'newly registered member' status?
I don't know. Moderators have no access or dealings with the settings of the forum, based in Latvia, behind the scenes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:51 pm

If all efforts fails in getting the NOC or marrying in India then better to consider fiancee visa option and then marry in UK.