ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to become Self-employed in US

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

altec01
Newly Registered

How to become Self-employed in US

Post by altec01 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:05 pm

Hi all.

I'm a self-employed IT professional in another country, in Europe. My business is doing good, so I want to 'transfer' the business to the US. As the business is mostly via internet, my physical location is not an issue.

I'm thinking of registering a 'self-employed' company or a company with one employee (owner) in US - if there's any difference in theese two. I did a little search and I believe a LLC (limited liability company) can be registered, even if you're not US citizen, or having work permit.

OK, if first step, register a company, is achieved... can I apply for any sort of work permit, so I can actually work in US, as self-employed or employed in my own company?

So, the business would continue, except I would be in US and trying to get more projects, since US is... US - more opportunities.

I would pay all the taxes in US.

So, is this possibility for me, or not? Perhaps any other way to acieve this?

Thank you for suggestions

republique
BANNED

Re: How to become Self-employed in US

Post by republique » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:00 pm

altec01 wrote:Hi all.

I'm a self-employed IT professional in another country, in Europe. My business is doing good, so I want to 'transfer' the business to the US. As the business is mostly via internet, my physical location is not an issue.

I'm thinking of registering a 'self-employed' company or a company with one employee (owner) in US - if there's any difference in theese two. I did a little search and I believe a LLC (limited liability company) can be registered, even if you're not US citizen, or having work permit.

OK, if first step, register a company, is achieved... can I apply for any sort of work permit, so I can actually work in US, as self-employed or employed in my own company?

So, the business would continue, except I would be in US and trying to get more projects, since US is... US - more opportunities.

I would pay all the taxes in US.

So, is this possibility for me, or not? Perhaps any other way to acieve this?

Thank you for suggestions
Usually self employed is not incorporated.
You indicate you will be incorporated so you must mean something else. Second, why pay us taxes if you are abroad. If you do the work physically elsewhere I do not think you actually have to pay us tax but tax in the country you are working from. This includes VAT good luck

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:05 pm

Unfortunately it can't be done. There is a visa (E2) for those who set up companies in the US, but unless you invest a significant amount of money (around $150,000, according to some) you are not going to get it. See here. There is no visa for self-employed individuals wishing to move to the US.

altec01
Newly Registered

Post by altec01 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi republique,

perhaps I was unclear of my intentions... I want to work and live in US.

But since I already have a business, I thought that I would just 'transfer' current business to US. And since I have no intentions to be employed by another US company (other than my own), I would like to know my options of getting a work visa as self-employed or similar (incorporated?).

If I register a LLC, does this mean I'm incorporated? If yes, then yes, I'll be incorporated if this will give me some options to get a work visa - if I actually can register a LLC (or any other type of corporation/company), but as I read on the internet, I should be able to.

I hope this makes more sense.

thank you

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:11 pm

republique wrote:Usually self employed is not incorporated.
You indicate you will be incorporated so you must mean something else.
Lots of self employed people have their own companies. This allows them to deduct expenses from their taxes.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:15 pm

altec01 wrote:If I register a LLC, does this mean I'm incorporated? If yes, then yes, I'll be incorporated if this will give me some options to get a work visa - if I actually can register a LLC (or any other type of corporation/company), but as I read on the internet, I should be able to.
You'll have no problems incorporating in the US but it won't give you a visa without a significant investment. So in short, it can't be done.

altec01
Newly Registered

Post by altec01 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi Marco72,

thank you for the answer, I'll look into E2.

Perhaps $150,000 is achievable... depending in what way, as a starting capital? I'll try to get some details.

Thank you

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Marco 72 wrote:
republique wrote:Usually self employed is not incorporated.
You indicate you will be incorporated so you must mean something else.
Lots of self employed people have their own companies. This allows them to deduct expenses from their taxes.
Yes they do but these are two separate statuses and one should not get it confused as they have different obligations. And what you might be referring to his running a business which is different from have a legal entity which is officially incorporated.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:38 pm

I would recommend waiting a couple of years. We are probably at the beginning of a major recession, and it's probably not be the best time to set up a business in the US.

One of the downsides of the E2 visa is that if your business goes under you are out of status. Another one is that while it can be renewed indefinitely it never gives you the possibility to apply for permanent residence (green card). Also, any children you have will become out of status on their 21st birthday. However, if your business is very profitable there is a chance you might make enough money to qualify for an E5 visa, which requires a minimum investment of half a million dollars and gives you permanent residence.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:00 pm

altec01 wrote:Perhaps $150,000 is achievable... depending in what way, as a starting capital?
I forgot to answer this - yes, the $150,000 would be the minimum starting capital. There isn't a minimum official figure, but this is what some have reported after experiences with the US Embassy in London. You may want to ask in the following forum, where the topic has been discussed a few times

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

altec01
Newly Registered

Post by altec01 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:12 pm

Marco72: on the note of recession...

My opinion is that the recession could actually be a very good time to start. This is when some businesse go out - you can jump in; companies spend less on marketing - you can jump in and take their share; some 'resources' are lower priced or much discounted - car lease, house lease, barely used IT equimpent; in some areas a little cheaper workforce - usually in high priced jobs; ... obviously you can't succeed with the same concept and companies are going out, but there are always opportunities to grab those customers with different services, goods... and when the economy gets better, you have everything set-up for expansion...

On the other side, you can spend two years trying to make it, but you don't, just because of recession.

Yes, if I come to US, I would eventually like to get permanent residence. But I guess for start, E2 might be enough.

About the amount: on various forums and articles I found that E2 amount is in range from $25K up to $500K... depending on the nature of business...

Thank you