ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can't live in my country, what can I do?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

WhatCanIdo
Newly Registered

Can't live in my country, what can I do?

Post by WhatCanIdo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:51 pm

Hey, I'm looking for an advice about what my options are and by reading here for alittle while I understand that you guys know what your are talking about and I though that its a good idea to post it here.

I'm a young Israeli citizen, I refused to serve in the army after the Second Lebannon's War and after alot of troubles that took more then a year they finally let me out.
Now I have a big problem, I can't get a job. Every time I go to a job interview everythings goes really great until they hear that I refused to serve in the military and that I got out, and ofcourse after that I don't get the job (some employers say that they don't hire be because I didn't go to the army and so says that it because they just figured out that they do not need any more workers) and then ofcourse I stay unemployed without the option to support myself... Not that its hard enough, there are few propositions about making new laws to make life hard to the people who refused to serve in the millitary: for example:
Proposition number 1: People who didn't serve in the army will need to pay a big precentage out of his yearly income to the government (like a fine).
Propositon number 2: People who didn't serve in the army will not be allowed to perticipate in activities that can do service to the country, for example, represent the country in sports, or music ect'.

Basicly I don't see an option for me to live a good life here and I wish I could go out. I do not own a foreign passport and I just want to know what can I do to get out of here... if there is a way?

Thank you so much, I'm looking forward to your replays and I really appreciate it.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:01 pm

Options;

1. Marriage to a foreigner

2. Get an education and apply for work abroad

3. Check ur ancestry - do u have foreign parents or grandparents?

4. Merchant Navy if Israel has one?

Other than that stay put and make the best of it.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

WhatCanIdo
Newly Registered

Post by WhatCanIdo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:15 pm

Wanderer wrote:Options;

1. Marriage to a foreigner

2. Get an education and apply for work abroad

3. Check ur ancestry - do u have foreign parents or grandparents?

4. Merchant Navy if Israel has one?

Other than that stay put and make the best of it.....
Thank you.

There is no way that I'm going to stay here, I will get out and do ANYTHING to have the option to live in a diffrent country, there is really no future for me if I stay here, the people I know that didn't serve in the army planning to move out too (this reason and the obvious economic reason), but they are German passport holders so its easy for them.

Now days, in the Merchant Navy they hire foreigners that come here from abroad and work with a working visa from what I heard they do it because foreigners are cheaper pain of hands.

My parents was born and raised here, my grandparents from one side of my family was smuggled here out of Iraq by the Israeli Agency, and my grandparents from the other side came here and got their citizenship taken away because Romania was communist back then and didn't allow to hold more then one citizenship, even if they had their citizenship I need to speak Romanian in-order to get it.

About studing abroad, I'll get a working visa that allow to work 20 hours a week, right? I can't support myself with that... and what would I do after I finish studing?

Thank you for your help.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:35 pm

Your not allowed to work to pay for studies in the UK, you have to show you can afford to live and study without needing the earnings from the work provision.

I can't think of anything legal to help you, sorry.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:47 pm

As a half jew myself from my Mother side of the family and strictly from my point of view only. I would say grit your teeth and serve your country, who assisted your grand parents flight from Iraq many years ago.
I think you owe the state of Israel a debt.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:09 pm

Siggi wrote:As a half jew myself from my Mother side of the family and strictly from my point of view only. I would say grit your teeth and serve your country, who assisted your grand parents flight from Iraq many years ago.
We don't even know if s/he has any chances of serving in the army now.

To the OP: I think the best advice you have been given is to get an education, then apply for work abroad. How old are you now?

WhatCanIdo
Newly Registered

Post by WhatCanIdo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:16 pm

Siggi wrote:As a half jew myself from my Mother side of the family and strictly from my point of view only. I would say grit your teeth and serve your country, who assisted your grand parents flight from Iraq many years ago.
It was the Jewish Agency that flew my grandparents out of Iraq, not the Israeli government. The Jewish Agency was a group of religious Jews that united together to bring as much as jews as they can to Israel under the "Law of return" so they will do Alliah... they was afraid that there would be more arabs then jews in Israel and then Israel would be an arab country...

I'm not going to the army, I do not want to live here since the economy here is terrible and the salaries are very low and the living is very expensive and I can't even get a job because no one wants to hire me. I have no debt to my country, when I worked I payed all my taxes (alot of taxes in Israel) and I get nothing in return, in Denmark or Sweeden for example you pay alot of taxes but you get everything you need from the government (free education, best healthcare ect').

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:44 pm

You can apply for the United States Divesity Visa Lottery, which, as an Israeli citizen, you qualify for. The application is free, by the way, so don't use any agencies that ask you for 'application fees' or the like. Next application round is likely to be October 2008, for 2010.

What you can do between now and then...maybe Japan's JET Programme (Israli citizens can participate, but not every year, so check with the Japanese embassy in Israel), or find some other countries with similar agreements.

Whatever you do, just make sure it is legal.

WhatCanIdo
Newly Registered

Post by WhatCanIdo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:07 pm

sakura wrote:You can apply for the United States Divesity Visa Lottery, which, as an Israeli citizen, you qualify for. The application is free, by the way, so don't use any agencies that ask you for 'application fees' or the like. Next application round is likely to be October 2008, for 2010.

What you can do between now and then...maybe Japan's JET Programme (Israli citizens can participate, but not every year, so check with the Japanese embassy in Israel), or find some other countries with similar agreements.

Thank you very much! About the American Visa Lottery - when the registration will be open? what is the chance to win?

I never heard about the Japan's JET Programme, can you give me some information about it ?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:34 pm

WhatCanIdo wrote:
sakura wrote:You can apply for the United States Divesity Visa Lottery, which, as an Israeli citizen, you qualify for. The application is free, by the way, so don't use any agencies that ask you for 'application fees' or the like. Next application round is likely to be October 2008, for 2010.

Thank you very much! About the American Visa Lottery - when the registration will be open? what is the chance to win?

I never heard about the Japan's JET Programme, can you give me some information about it ?

Ah...first of all...how old are you and what is your highest educational attainment? I lived with an Israeli couple earlier this year - they were telling me about their army services, but I cannot remember whether you go before or after university? I ask because the JET programme - Japan Exchange Teaching (basically like a cultural exchange where you act as a Teaching Assistant in a Japanese high school) is for college graduates.

The US DV Lottery application round usually opens in October and closes two months or so thereafter. The next Lottery will be for 2010 entry (to the US). I do not know about probabililty of winning - 50,000 visas are given out...last DV round abut 170 or so Israelis won, but I do not know how many actually obtained a visa in the end.

As for your Romanian heritage - Romanian is a romance language, fairly close to Italian, I think. If you can master English then I would suggest giving Romanian a shot. Have you looked further into your claim?

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:49 pm

I'm not going to the army, I do not want to live here since the economy here is terrible and the salaries are very low and the living is very expensive and I can't even get a job because no one wants to hire me. I have no debt to my country, when I worked I payed all my taxes (alot of taxes in Israel) and I get nothing in return, in Denmark or Sweeden for example you pay alot of taxes but you get everything you need from the government (free education, best healthcare ect').

Well my friend ,you will find out soon that the worlds economy's are not in good shape and that globally jobs are been cut and people are been paid off and paid less for more.
Try and do some form of degree that offers you a skill that is globally sort after.

I'm truly feel sorry that you do not feel the need to defend Israel and the Jewish State.
But I wish you well and God's speed in the future.

WhatCanIdo
Newly Registered

Post by WhatCanIdo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:53 pm

People go to the university after the army. And because most people get out of the army without any money (you don't get paid to be in the army), alot of them don't go to the university after that.

I'm 21 soon and I'm not a college graduate, so thats not for me.

Yea, Romanian sounds alot like Italian. I would definetly learn Romanian if it gurentees me that I'll get a Romanian passport, but my grandparents (the ex-romanian citizens) and me not close at all, I can't ask them for anything..... the fact is that they are both crazy and I don't belive that its a good idea trusting this to succeed... Is that possible applying for a Romanian passport without me needing to contact my grandparents?

Is that possible that Israel will join the European Union? we are very close to Turkey and they are EU... or this will not happen because the government don't want alot of not-jewish to imigrate here?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:58 pm

There are no current arrangements for Israel to join the EU anytime soon, no.

I would agree with Siggi on his point about the global economy - a lot of countries are facing difficulties (sluggish growth, rising unemployment, rising living costs, etc), and many countries have very high standards of living.

I suggest you look to study abroad - try looking for scholarships. It is not impossible to find something, you just need to look in the right places. Embassy websites have a lot of links for education/scholarships, or other short-term cultural exchanges.

WhatCanIdo
Newly Registered

Post by WhatCanIdo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:04 pm

Siggi wrote: Well my friend ,you will find out soon that the worlds economy's are not in good shape and that globally jobs are been cut and people are been paid off and paid less for more.
Try and do some form of degree that offers you a skill that is globally sort after.

I'm truly feel sorry that you do not feel the need to defend Israel and the Jewish State.
But I wish you well and God's speed in the future.
You are jewish too according to the jewish law... Your grandma is jewish = your mother is jewish = you are jewish. It passes from mother to her children. And you don't feel the need to defend the Jewish State? the true is that you prefer to be a jewish person living abroad so you won't have to deal with the Israeli problems in a daily basis... thats ok.. I understand that.. You could imigrate to Israel by "The Law of Return" and I understand why you are not doing this..

But don't judge me, my Iraqi grandfather rest-in-peace, was risking his life to rescue jews from Iraq and bring them to Israel. All my family served in the army and was fighting in wars when 10 Mililion jews are living in the US and in Europe and have no troubles at all... you didn't fight for Israel, other people did.. I have friends that got injured, one lost his eye.. and for what?

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:08 pm

You know, this poster's story sounds almost completely identical to this other person's, plt22. They're the same age, both Israeli, have Romanian grandparents (whom they can't talk to!) and want into the US/EU/anywhere.

My advice is for you two posters to get together and commiserate. You might be able to cooperate on something together. Two heads are better than one and all that.

If you're the same person, I'm sorry but why would you be wasting everyone's time? Haven't we tried to be helpful already to your duplicate alter ego?

WhatCanIdo
Newly Registered

Post by WhatCanIdo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Ok, I had another account. I felt emberresed to ask too many question on one account .. . I just wanted to more options in my situation.. delete my posts if you want. I'm sorry if it did hurt anyone but I just wanted more information... All I do with my life is figuring my next move and would love to get as much as help as possible.

I am not trying to con anyone I just wanted more opinions are was emberessed to ask it in the same account. ok?

IM NOT WASTING PEOPLE TIME. MY SITUATION IS BAD AND I WANT MORE OPINIONS . If wanting more opinioons is a crime so delete and ban my accounts. I have no time to waste other people time and really not my intention.
Last edited by WhatCanIdo on Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:15 pm

Yes it's true, I'm jewish if you take it by the letter of Hibrew law.
However I was born in country, where I to had to do National Service, which I did. I know what it is to lose comrade in war.

So there was never a need for me to join IDF, which I would if Israel was so treatend that it required all jews to help defend the Jewish State.

Non the less I wish you God's speed, life is hard for young people and making the right decisions in life even more differcult.

WhatCanIdo
Newly Registered

Post by WhatCanIdo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:17 pm

Siggi wrote: Non the less I wish you God's speed, life is hard for young people and making the right decisions in life even more differcult.
Thank you...

The Israeli army now is not very weak and need as much as possible soldiers he can get. The Israeli army is very developed, Israel is the only country with Nukes in the middle-east, and the best airforce in the world..

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm not trying to be hostile, but creating multiple accounts like that is inconsiderate and deceptive to those who have selflessly given their time in the first place. And it does contravene the board's established policy on the matter. So yes, you've acted inappropriately.

That said, I get that you're in a difficult position from your point of view. I can sympathise with that. But I'm not altogether sure that the information you now get will be any different from what you've learned under your previous guise (e.g., Romanian passports, working at an Israeli embassy, education abroad, etc.). Unless you can provide new information...but you could have done that under your old name, right?

Good luck.

WhatCanIdo
Newly Registered

Post by WhatCanIdo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:30 pm

I'll consider getting an education abroad as it seems as a good and a smart idea.
I'm sorry if people here who helped me think that they spent their time on me, I personally learned today that there is not way for me to get out of here unless I get married to a foreigner, or get an education abroad or win the green card lotto.