ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family permit for unmarried partner.. now what?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

whitecat74
Newly Registered
France

EEA family permit for unmarried partner.. now what?

Post by whitecat74 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:23 am

Hi all.. after several months and applying (and being rejected) for the wrong visa, my unmarried US partner finally has an EEA family permit. We are confused as to what to do next. The permit is already 6 weeks old (it took that long to get it back from UKVI so we only have 4.5 months left on it). I am French and have EU Settled Status. What is the best next step for my partner?
1) EU Settlement scheme as pre-settled? But he doesn’t have a BRC which I think is mandatory for unmarried partners? I tried to email them and am confused by their answer
2) Apply myself for a residence certificate online and add him to the online application (EEA)QP which speeds things up and avoids the crazy long paper application.
3) am I missing a third option to just get him a BRC somehow?
Thank you for your help...!

iwolga
United Kingdom

Re: EEA family permit for unmarried partner.. now what?

Post by iwolga » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:41 am

I would say: fly into UK (if not here yet) and apply for EEA2 card. Then apply for EU Settlement.

Gooner14
Newly Registered
Nepal

Post by Gooner14 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:58 pm

whitecat74 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:23 am
Hi all.. after several months and applying (and being rejected) for the wrong visa, my unmarried US partner finally has an EEA family permit. We are confused as to what to do next. The permit is already 6 weeks old (it took that long to get it back from UKVI so we only have 4.5 months left on it). I am French and have EU Settled Status. What is the best next step for my partner?
1) EU Settlement scheme as pre-settled? But he doesn’t have a BRC which I think is mandatory for unmarried partners? I tried to email them and am confused by their answer
2) Apply myself for a residence certificate online and add him to the online application (EEA)QP which speeds things up and avoids the crazy long paper application.
I was in the same situation and I had overstayed. But me and my polish partner applied for Eea qp
Submitted all the doucuments online ( council tax (important) joint Monzo bank accounts, and 2 years of cohabitation.
It took less than a month to get a result and I got 5 years visa with right to work .
Good luck .

iwolga
United Kingdom

Post by iwolga » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:06 pm

Gooner14 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:58 pm
whitecat74 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:23 am
I was in the same situation and I had overstayed. But me and my polish partner applied for Eea qp
Submitted all the doucuments online ( council tax (important) joint Monzo bank accounts, and 2 years of cohabitation.
It took less than a month to get a result and I got 5 years visa with right to work .
Good luck .
Overstaying is the worst possible option! There's still plenty of time to apply for EEA2 card as EFM. Then, already having this card, to apply for pre-settled status. A lot of paper work and waiting but no problems in future.

Overstaying will backfire if you want to naturalise.

iwolga
United Kingdom

Post by iwolga » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:18 pm

I assume it’s needless to say that it’s also illegal to overstay

Gooner14
Newly Registered
Nepal

Post by Gooner14 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:09 pm

iwolga wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:18 pm

I meant, I was already an overstayer before I met my partner .

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:12 pm

Gooner14 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:09 pm
iwolga wrote:

The op in this topic is not. Please post in your own topic.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Gooner14
Newly Registered
Nepal

Post by Gooner14 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:14 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:12 pm
Gooner14 wrote:
iwolga wrote:

?????

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:43 pm

Gooner14 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:14 pm
CR001 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:12 pm
Gooner14 wrote:
iwolga wrote:

?????
This is not a general discussion topic. Your circumstances are different to the original poster.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.