ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Keep ILR after 2 years out of UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bzhao
China

Keep ILR after 2 years out of UK

Post by bzhao » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:19 am

Hi Guru,

A friend of mine has got ILR in 2015. Nearly two years ago, due to health reasons, she had to go back to her own country for treatment. The treatment has been kept going for nearly two years and she has not been able to travel.

As we know, usually one could lose ILR if he/she is away from the UK for more than two years.

We just wonder, in her case, how can she reserve her ILR? She is planning to come to the UK in a few month time. Is there anything she needs to do before travelling?

Thank you very much in advance.

secret.simon

Re: Keep ILR after 2 years out of UK

Post by secret.simon » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:26 am

https://www.gov.uk/returning-resident-visa wrote:You need a Returning Resident visa to come back to live in the UK if you were previously settled (given ‘indefinite leave to enter or remain’) and you’ve been away for more than 2 years.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

bzhao
China

Post by bzhao » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:41 am

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:26 am
https://www.gov.uk/returning-resident-visa wrote:You need a Returning Resident visa to come back to live in the UK if you were previously settled (given ‘indefinite leave to enter or remain’) and you’ve been away for more than 2 years.
Thanks Simon. Once she got the returning resident visa, is her ILR still valid? or the returning resident visa will replace ILR?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:19 pm

ILR is simply a status. If someone is outside the UK for more than 2 years they lose that status. If they get a returning resident visa, then that will reinstate such status
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice