ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Guernsey part of UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Template
United Kingdom

Guernsey part of UK

Post by Template » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:44 pm

Dear Seniors. I have a question I got my ILR in July and I will be living in Guernsey from December.1) Am eligible to work there with my UK ILR ?
2) I will apply for Citizenship in July next year, would i qualify for residence requirement if i live there now.

secret.simon

Re: Guernsey part of UK

Post by secret.simon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:21 pm

Guernsey is a part of the United Kingdom for the purposes of citizenship/nationality law, but not for the purposes of immigration law. They have their own immigration rules, which align with, but are not identical to, those of the UK.
The States of Guernsey - Immigration wrote: The admission and stay of persons other than British citizens is governed by statute in the form of various United Kingdom Immigration Acts extended by order in council to the Bailiwick of Guernsey, in effect, making them Bailiwick law.
Please note that there are additional separate laws, other than the Immigration Acts, which apply in the separate islands of the Bailiwick which restrict the occupation of dwellings and / or employment.
Also see Relocating to Guernsey
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Template
United Kingdom

Post by Template » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:48 pm

My questions are still unanswered:
1) Am I eligible to work there with my UK ILR ?
2) I will apply for Citizenship in July next year, would i qualify for residence requirement if i live there now.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:48 am

Template wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:48 pm
My questions are still unanswered:
1) Am I eligible to work there with my UK ILR ?
Have you read the info in the link provided foryou above? You will find your answer there.
Here is the link again
https://www.gov.gg/relocatetoguernsey

And this might answer your question
Whether you are a British citizen or not, you will need to find out about the controls on who can live and work here and if you plan on working, you will need a Resident Certificate/Employment Permit (Right to Work).
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

Template
United Kingdom

Days in UK

Post by Template » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:31 pm

Dear Seniors. I got my ILR in July this year. I will apply for BC in july 2020. I want to stay 6 moths in Guernsey for work. Is this 6 month stay there will constitute my stay in UK and i apply for BC in july?
Stay in Guernsey is same as stay in UK? OR its considered absences from UK ?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Days in UK

Post by zimba » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:50 pm

Guernsey is NOT part of the UK. British citizenship has a min absence from the UK which must be normally less than 90 days in your final qualifying year. I believe discretion is applied if you were part of HM forces or at the service of the Crown
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:50 am

Template wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:31 pm
Dear Seniors. I got my ILR in July this year. I will apply for BC in july 2020. I want to stay 6 moths in Guernsey for work. Is this 6 month stay there will constitute my stay in UK and i apply for BC in july?
Stay in Guernsey is same as stay in UK? OR its considered absences from UK ?
You have already been adviced in your other post on this same issue.
british-citizenship/guernsey-part-of-uk ... l#p1842298
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

Template
United Kingdom

Post by Template » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:53 am

Zimba wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:50 pm
Guernsey is NOT part of the UK. British citizenship has a min absence from the UK which must be normally less than 90 days in your final qualifying year. I believe discretion is applied if you were part of HM forces or at the service of the Crown
Thanx Zimba. I will be working for a big bank.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:05 pm

Djsuccess wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:50 am
You have already been adviced in your other post on this same issue.
british-citizenship/guernsey-part-of-uk ... l#p1842298
Topics merged.
Zimba wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:50 pm
Guernsey is NOT part of the UK.
To clarify further, Guernsey is not a part of the UK for immigration purposes (upto and including ILR), but is a part of the UK for nationality purposes.
British Nationality Act 1981 wrote:Section 50
“ the United Kingdom ” means Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the Islands, taken together;
“ the Islands ” means the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man;

Section 53
(5)The provisions of this Act, except those mentioned in subsection (7), extend to the Islands
Time spent in Guernsey counts as time in the United Kingdom for the purposes of nationality law, but not for the purpose of acquiring ILR.

Note that if you naturalise in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, while you do become a British citizen, the passport issued to you is slightly different.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Template
United Kingdom

Post by Template » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:10 pm

Secret Simon. Thank you very much you are absolutely correct. I spoke to Home office today and they said same thing. Time spent in Guernsey for BC purpose is considered as you are in UK